How Bigs Ya Gut?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm with Bindi, just heading out the shed to get on the treadmill. I still like my beer most nights, but I don't want to end up like my old man. Dead at 68 from diabetes. Boys, if ya tummy is bigger than ya hips ya could be a candidate for the above mentioned disease. <_<

Beer also contains Alcohol which can both be harmfull if your drinking to much. Most medical institutions will recomend not you do not exceed 2 drinks a day which I try to follow. Sometimes I go out for a night I might drink 6 or more beers but this is rare and wont happen more than once a month. It also changes. For example over the past month I have been REALLY busy and probably averaged about 4 a week if that. Now im less busy It will go up.

I also go to the gym or work out 4 days a week and ride my bike to and from work everyday.

If you dont exercise, eat unhealthy foods and drink alot of beer then it is a pretty sure bet you will develop a beer belly and will be overweight in most cases. If you dont when your young its a pretty sure bet that it will start as you age.

My BMI is: 22.13 which is healthy
http://www.mater.org.au/pharm/TAS/calc01.asp (whats your BMI)

Heres what Ive drank the past week:

Saturday: Nothing
Sunday: 1 Heffe
Monday: 2 ESB's
Tuesday: Nothing
Wednesday: 2 heffe's
Thursday: 1 lager, Porter
Friday: Tonght ill have an IPA and and maybe 2 or 3 others

Ive also had KFC once this week and had some dim sims for lunch today, no one is perfect and trying to be is thirsty work :chug:. But if you dont put any effort to live healthy then whats the point of concerning yourself about it, you may as well sit on your arse all day, east shit and drink beer, while your heart, liver and kidneys reep the wirlwind.

Its not hard, and no one on here is dumb. We all know when we are being unhealty, we know if we are drinking to much and we know if we should be getting more exercise.

Its wether you chose to ignore it or not that matters and if you sit of the couch eatting chips, drinking your 5th beer of the night happy in the knowledge that your beer carries the same nutritional qualities as your kids fruit juice then your delusional and should probably get help or wake up.

Im sure the people who are overwieght on this site know it. Its wether you have the stones to get of your arse and do something about it that makes the difference.

Anyway its your life so you can do what you want but from my experiance, I enjoy my beer much more after a session at the gym than after a session in the chips.

Tried the link, I'm OK for a 6'2" 55 year old who has always eaten and drank what & when he likes...(good genes)
my motto is if it feels or taste good it must be good (works for pain, if it hurts then its bad for me)

Seriously...I think your body tells you if you're run down and things are not right...then again if you are use to feeling bad you don't know what good feels like.

This homebrew Barbarian lager taste good, so it must be good for me :beerbang:

In regards to eating your dog,

Its always good to have at least 2 free dog eating days every week! :D

I havent eaten a dog for years thanks to my local support group

Cheers :beer:
BB

In regards to eating your dog,

Its always good to have at least 2 free dog eating days every week! :D

I havent eaten a dog for years thanks to my local support group

Cheers :beer:
BB
Also I believe you have to watch out for the claws when they come out a day or so later ;)

My dog weighs 76 kg. Assuming I spit out the claws and really chewy bits, I figure I am going to gain at least 50 kg by eating him. How exactly does this fix my beergut again?

As Finite has said, beer contains alcohol but it also contains carbs.

Simply As others have said if you burn more carbs then your eat then your fine, everyone has a maintain level which is what you should be eating eact day too.

From my understanding the following occurs within foods:

1 gram of fat = 9 calories
1 gram of carbs/protein = 4 calories
1 gram of alcohol = 7 calories.

So a beer will be higher in calories the a glass of juice even though it might be the same in carbs etc.

Alcohol also inhibits your body's ability to burn calories so a beer after a run is not the best thing (however it more wanted then ever..GUILTY HERE)

Moderation is the key with anything..

I've just have 4-5 weeks without beer and changed my diet and little, I lost 10kg and am now back to my goal weight for my height.

back to beer again... trying to limit to to 3 days a week other the 6/7 I was doing for the last few (or more) years.

If your too lazy to go for a walk you should kill yourself and eat your dog.

geeezus, thats a weird thing to say... :blink: :lol:
(i'm drunk right now and still find it weird)

LOL Kong!

I scored really badly on the link above but I think it's because of the height box. As it asks your age I just assumed it would know that at my age no one over 40 knows their height in cms and therefore would convert 5.11 to 5 foot eleven inches not 5.11cm.

I don't think it did.

I have recently lost 10kg's & can not really say I have a gut anymore. I have cut back on the beer a little, but not enough to worry about.
I reckon if your arse is wider than your shoulders then you are in trouble!
Cheers
Gerard

I asked this question of my GP, and her answer is that beer is no more fattening than any other drink with a similar number of calories (eg. fruit juice). She then went on to say that the problem was that beer tends to stimulate appetite, and beer drinking is often coupled with excessive consumption of very unhealthy snacks like fatty, salty chips, and that habitual, regular beer drinkers often have unhealthy lifestyles.

The advice I ended up with was - watch my diet, get fitter, don't binge drink, and don't snack out on lots of salty fatty crap when I do have beer.

Colin,

Your GP is absolutely correct. Beer stimulates the appetite & if we don't exercise, we're stuffed (Pardon the pun). Nothing wrong with a good feed as long as you work it off.
Olympic swimmer Shane Gould was fond of saying "Nothing in-Nothing out. Meaning that whatever we do in life, we will get nothing back unless we put the effort in first.
Lifestyle lesson over. :rolleyes: :D

:beer:

If your too lazy to go for a walk you should kill yourself and eat your dog.

geeezus, thats a weird thing to say... :blink: :lol:
(i'm drunk right now and still find it weird)

LOL Kong!

I scored really badly on the link above but I think it's because of the height box. As it asks your age I just assumed it would know that at my age no one over 40 knows their height in cms and therefore would convert 5.11 to 5 foot eleven inches not 5.11cm.

I don't think it did.

Funny they ask your age. Doesn't change the result no matter what you enter

Oh Ok I've got a gut and I am not eating any of GL's dogs !! B)

Batz

http://www.mater.org.au/pharm/TAS/calc01.asp (whats your BMI)

Shit, it only goes up to 120kg.....

BMI what rubbish :angry: I have never passed one of those because I carry more muscle mass then most for my age and height, always have, I am 8kg ligher then when I was at my peak and still failed the BMI with 26 and I am fitter then guys half my age <_< when I was in the Navy 2 guys on the ship failed, one was a pro Rugby player, could run all day and strong as an ox [my training bubby] the other me, and I was the Physical Training Instructor for the ship with a resting pulse rate of 47 :blink: I also placed in the NSW bodybuilding comp that year and won the cross country race at age 33, so have NO trust in this BMI crap.
OFF soap box and have a beer.

Ive got to agree, being 6'4 and 105kg my BMI is 28 but I do a lot of weight training... for me to have a BMI of 25 I should weight 93kg and thats not going to happen :blink:

Yes, I do have a gut. Not as bad as a lot of other fellas my age, but it's still visible.

Not sure if I've ever eaten any dog, but have had some dodgy takeaways in the past (hence, the gut).

I do however like Shepherd's pie (with or without real German Shepherd).

Have given up the hot dogs on Doctor's advice (something about low nutriti0nal value of lips, ears, snouts and sphincters).

Seth :p

Arnie had a BMI that put him in the overweight category when he won Mr. Universe...
By the way, can I have a beer to wash down the dog with?

Hey Seth, aren't calamari rings actually deep fried Labrador Sphincters?!?!?!

Cheers,
TL

From my understanding the following occurs within foods:

1 gram of fat = 9 calories
1 gram of carbs/protein = 4 calories
1 gram of alcohol = 7 calories.

So a beer will be higher in calories the a glass of juice even though it might be the same in carbs etc.

But..... did you consider that the temperature is very important to your energy houshold?

for example: to heat up 1g water for 1C (exactly from 21,5 to 22,5C) it needs 1 Calorie

if your glass of beer is at 5C, your body has to heat it up to 37C = delta t= 32C
if your glass of beer holds 450cc (g), your body burns 14.400 Kalories to get the beer at body temp.

thats way I always drink icecold beer to lose weight :p

Edit:
Hey Seth, aren't calamari rings actually deep fried Labrador Sphincters?!?!?!
lachen.gif
lachen.gif
lachen.gif

TL,

Is your acronym an abbreviation of Tasty Labrador?
Do they (calamari) taste like Labrador sphincter??
Do you think they'd actually do that to a Guide Dog?

I thought that they are "real" squid rings, anyway.

...and yes! You should have a beer with that order. Would U like to upsize that, to elephant sphincter, and a pint glass?

BTW, Zwickel, can U calculate how many packets of Twisties I can eat with the energy deficit from a 500ml bottle of TB London Pride clone, wih about 4.5% alcohol. :eek: :eek:

Kapitan Seth :p

Latest posts

Back