How Big Is Your Mash Tun?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fingerlickin_B

Mo Bitta, Mo Betta!
Reaction score
Hey all,

I've searched and found a few references to peoples mash tun sizes, but they seem to vary somewhat :huh:

This question is aimed at all those doing full sized batches (22-23 litres).

What is the capacity of your mash tun?

PZ.

I use a 50lt insulated keg, I have no problem doing 23lt batches up to double batches. I have a piece of foam cut out that floats on the mash to aid with the insulation.

Cheers
Andrew

Thanks Andrew,

So if you can do double batches, then I assume that 25L is easily big enough for a single batch...unless I've missed something here :ph34r:

PZ.

My mash tun is made from a keg and the top 1/3 is cut off. Its about 35L usable so this is enough for about 10kg of grain or a bit more if i use less liquor. I built it for doing normal 23L batches but so i can still push it up later on.

Just for your reference my square Coleman cooler is 19L and it max's out with 5kg of grain and a 3L/kg ratio, it's full to the brim. So therefore 15L of dough in water+5 kg of grain takes up 19L.

It's been fine for me with all the batches I've done so far, my regular batch size is 28L. These have been medium gravity beers (1056-1060). I might have trouble pushing much higher than that. But honestly it's served me well at this size.

But as always a bit of extra capacity never went astray. But hopefully that gives you an idea. 20L bare minium, and go up from there.

Cheers, Justin

I have a 26 litre esky, it does single batches nicely.

HOWEVER, I wish I now had a bigger one so I could do double batches, that's the next thing on my list.

finger, are you planning on building one and looking for suggestions or comparing what you already have?

Thanks Andrew,

So if you can do double batches, then I assume that 25L is easily big enough for a single batch...unless I've missed something here :ph34r:

PZ.

I would think that 25lt would be adequate if you are fly sparging, but it might be a tight fit if you want to batch sparge especially if it is a large beer.
Here's a link to a topic mash tuns
Have a look for some ideas there.

Cheers
Andrew

finger, are you planning on building one and looking for suggestions or comparing what you already have?

Kind of a bit of both Ash.

I've already got a half batch bucket-in-bucket setup and trying to gauge how big my perforated mashing vessel will need to be, as I'm planning on moving up to full batches.

Biggest pot (aside from my keggle) is 20L, so it looks like from what has been said above that I'll need to keep an eye out for something bigger (I like high gavity beers :chug: ).

PZ.

I would think that 25lt would be adequate if you are fly sparging, but it might be a tight fit if you want to batch sparge especially if it is a large beer.

Ah, good point Andrew. I forgot to mention that fact, I was fly sparging with my little 19L mash tun. I now batch sparge in a 50L MT and it's much more enjoyable.

I use a 50lt insulated keg, I have no problem doing 23lt batches up to double batches. I have a piece of foam cut out that floats on the mash to aid with the insulation.

Cheers
Andrew

I use the same though I'm planning to see if I can mash 14kg of grain in a 50ltr keg. :huh:

Hmm, with a small tun, what about mashing the same grain twice in a row and no-to-little sparge?

Insane? :blink:

PZ.

A 50lt insulated keg here, previously a 38L round Keep Cold esky and no problem batch sparging 23lt batches in it. You can always do split sparges anyway, gives the grain a good wash out.

Cheers

:beer:
Gooday Fingerlickin B
I use a 57 LTR keepcool drinks esky as a mash tun. I can make a 60 ltr brew 3 Cornys at a time by batch Spargeing 2 equal sparges of 35 ltrs allowing for the boil off. This is about the limit for this mash tun.

Cheers Altstart

i'm running a 40L igloo cylindrical cooler ($80). Batch sparging to 25l with no troubles.

How big is your mash tun?...not big enough
How big is your HLT?...not big enough
How many beers have you on tap...not enough

Micro is my dream !

Batz

Back