Hops From Nz

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sav

Brewing at the battered's shed
Reaction score
Has any one ordered hops from NZ to oz, And how do I go about it freight ect.

I was in Wellington recently for Beervana and asked some of the micro guys if they knew of any suppliers in NZ for getting cheap hops (wouldn't have minded getting a kilo of Motueka to bring home) but they said that as far as they were aware there aren't any places like Ellerslie hop there, the hop growing area at Nelson is pretty compact and the market fairly tied up and their crops spoken for, especially with the German and US shortages last year A couple of them had started off as home brewers so they had been on both sides of the fence.

However you never know, you could maybe pm Reviled - Auckland - who keeps his finger on the pulse. It would be great to get flowers direct, hey.

Just did a bit of research, all hops must be sold by the growers through the Hop Marketing Board which includes contract hops and also any surplus the growers have in a good season. There are less than 30 growers anyway. Pretty well hogtied by the looks of it.
Ross'l fix you up with any you need ;)

We could buy hops from NZ once and at very fair prices, now they will not sell to you unless you are a registered business. You will be told to go through their Australian importer, Craftbrewer.

Batz

I was in Christchurch earlier in the year and thought i'd pick up a few kilo's of NZ hops assuming they'd be cheaper - the prices an the LHBS in Christchurch were pretty much the same as Craftbrewer. So in my (limited) experience, it's probably not really worth the hassle, especially if *might* have to talk to an AU quarantine nazi.

But, that was from a LHBS, I wasn't trying to get a bulk buy or something off the ground :ph34r:

I was in Christchurch earlier in the year and thought i'd pick up a few kilo's of NZ hops assuming they'd be cheaper - the prices an the LHBS in Christchurch were pretty much the same as Craftbrewer. So in my (limited) experience, it's probably not really worth the hassle, especially if *might* have to talk to an AU quarantine nazi.

But, that was from a LHBS, I wasn't trying to get a bulk buy or something off the ground :ph34r:

I was in Nelson last year and if you buy direct from there the hops are way cheaper than what we pay. Quarantine is not a problem with hop pellets, I import these from all over the world.
You need to go to the supplier in Nelson and have a friendly chat with them, perhaps you could convince them that your such a nice person they may make an exception to their supply rules, just for you. ;)
Oh

Batz

why no just buy from NZhops, they would sell you hops I'd say, they'd export all over the world.

they post round nz, but here they like you to use the importer

or you can go and see them, out side nelson

www.nzhops.co.nz

i have an excess if anyone wants to come around and pick some up- coburg

I've got a price list off these guys but they dont ship to Oz but will ship anywhere in NZ. prices were 20-40NZ$ per kilo plus gst.

Sad story was, i was in nelson for one week two christmas's ago for a wedding. Did wineries breweries and drank some great beer but only realised hops.co.nz was a 10 minute drive from where we were staying. Still pissed about it. If you know any kiwis get them to bring some over next time they come to oz to get there dole check :) That;s what i did

they post round nz, but here they like you to use the importer

or you can go and see them, out side nelson

www.nzhops.co.nz

i have an excess if anyone wants to come around and pick some up- coburg

One kilogram of Nelson Sauvin :icon_drool2: ... I think I'll spread it all out on the floor, get naked and roll in it.

If You Are on holdiday nz hops will post to you in nz at your hotel or motel i have done it before and i have friends in nz so it works out to $4 Nz per 100 grms not including postage they are vaccumed sealed in foil bags as well

why no just buy from NZhops, they would sell you hops I'd say, they'd export all over the world.
Just out of interest (as you know I'm a stirrer :icon_cheers: )

Hi Michael,

We have two distributors in Australia.

Please see below.

Hopco Pty Ltd
P O Box 22
Hobart South
Tasmania 7004
Phone: 06 6225 1596
Fax 03 8660 2364
email [email protected]

Or

Ross Kenrick
CraftBrewer
63 Stern Road
Carbrook
Queensland 4130
Australia

Tel: (61 7) 32877 225
Fax: (61 7) 32877 067
Mob: (61 ) 412 666952
Email: [email protected]

Cheers
Doreen

-----Original Message-----
Sent: 3 October 2010 12:55 p.m.
To: Doreen Helms
Subject: direct purchase of hops

Hi from Queensland, Australia

I'm enquiring on behalf of a number of us home brewers. We regularly
collaborate to buy hops from overseas (eg Hops Direct in the USA) and
from local suppliers such as Ellerslie Farms. Usually by the kilo, or in
the case of the USA by the pound. As long as we restrict ourselves to
hop pellets we have no problems with the Australian Customs Service.
This is great for US, some Euro and of course Australian varieties, but
NZ hops are becoming hugely popular here, particularly in the rapidly
growing all-grain-brewing sector of the hobby, and I wonder if you - or
any growers you are aware of - supply hops to home brewers in kilo lots,
or would we have to go through registered business that you ship to in
Australia?

Best Regards

Michael

Isn't Doreen the chick in Footrot Flats, or am I getting mixed up with CJ Dennis ? :unsure:

Actually I'm glad I checked out NZ hops because I've learned that they also do a Willamette in flowers, going to get some from Ross asap :beerbang:

Isn't Doreen the chick in Footrot Flats

Dahlene "Cheeky" Hobson?

cheeky_1.gif

We could buy hops from NZ once and at very fair prices, now they will not sell to you unless you are a registered business. You will be told to go through their Australian importer, Craftbrewer.

Batz
I approached NZ Hops years ago when I first started GB, I was told by some rude wanker named Doug who runs the show to piss off. He also took the liberty of passing on my private emails to their supplier in Australia (not Ross), who also rang me and gave me a serve as well. How dare I try and by direct. Great business ethics NZ Hops. F..ckin hop cartels.
GB

I approached NZ Hops years ago when I first started GB, I was told by some rude wanker named Doug who runs the show to piss off. He also took the liberty of passing on my private emails to their supplier in Australia (not Ross), who also rang me and gave me a serve as well. How dare I try and by direct. Great business ethics NZ Hops. F..ckin hop cartels.
GB

I was told that they would sell hops to me unless I owned had a registered business or owned a brewery. Have a little think about that.

Batz

I'm guessing NZhops must have commercial interests in local or otherwise breweries that they supply and want to control where you can get that flavour from. All effects of a small market and the big boys (cartels) pushing out or assimilating small ones. In the end, they are unethical practices, but how do you get somebody to give a flying fark

GB

I wonder if that would be Doug as in Doug Donlan the ex headbrewer from Malt shovel Brewery?????????

Is it that the big Hop suppliers can't be asked dealing with small fry?

Latest posts

Back