Hops and temperature

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ruddager

Reaction score
I'm graduating to all-grain and considering no-chilling, so that means adjusting hop schedule, right?

Well, what if I am able to bring the temperature down a little right after the boil so that I don't need to? I've successfully been adding ice to my extract brews and partials for some time now to bring the temperature of 10-12L boils down to pitching temperature for some time now.

So, my question is: below what temperature do hops stop doing ... stuff?

If the answer is 90 then 1kg of ice in 22L should do it, and 2kg will bring 21L down to just over 80.

It isn't really no chilling if you are chilling to pitching temp...

I thought no chilling was done at near boiling into a sealed fermenter so as to sanitise the fermenter and then stop any nasties getting in. If you are throwing ice in and leaving it in a normal fermenter to cool the rest of the way I'd be concerned about infections.

As for hop utilisation there are calculators for that, if you just mean bitterness (and not flavour) I believe the consensus is 80 degrees.

I'm not intending to bring it down to pitching temperature, just low enough so that I don't have to worry about adjusting the hop schedule.

The problem with what you want to do is that you want the wort to be above 90 going into the drum to sterilise it. If you were to chill it enough to stop the hops doing their thing then you increase the chance of infection. It's simple enough to allow for no chill. Heaps of info on here about it. I'm no expert but that's my opinion.

Below 80 degrees is below the temp at which hops isomerise.
You don't have to adjust - I don't although I do design all my own recipes to suit my tastes. Brew a beer as is, then whether or not you need to adjust the next one.
My wort is about 80 when it goes into cube - the wort sits, lid on to reduce any dust after the boil for 20, then whirlpooled for 20, aroma hops added to whirlpool, sit another 20. 80 deg is hot enough to stop anything new taking hold, 1 hr boil is hot enough to stop anything old/already present taking hold.

manticle said:
My wort is about 80 when it goes into cube - the wort sits, lid on to reduce any dust after the boil for 20, then whirlpooled for 20, aroma hops added to whirlpool, sit another 20. 80 deg is hot enough to stop anything new taking hold, 1 hr boil is hot enough to stop anything old/already present taking hold.
Heading :icon_offtopic: from the OP, but you say you whirlpool for 20... is that pump driven? (What sort of kit do you run, Manticle?)

Happy to be educated here, as I thought that a pumped whirlpool was mostly to assist coil/plate chillers. Or is it beneficial for getting good usage out of the aroma hops?

(After a 15 min stand, my "whirlpool" is a good stir with the ol' trusty spoon to get it spinning well before another 15-30min stand to let everything settle out. Aroma additions are usually added just prior to the whirlpool.)

Latest posts

Back