Hops And Dogs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackapple

Reaction score
I've heard and read Hops aren't too good for our 4 legged friends.

Has anyone had any Actual experience with this.

Got some hops beginning to grow in my yard and 2 dogs.

Cheers

I've heard and read Hops aren't too good for our 4 legged friends.

Has anyone had any Actual experience with this.

Got some hops beginning to grow in my yard and 2 dogs.

Cheers

Just had a discussion of this on the Brew Adelaide forums, with actual white-paper evidence on the matter: http://brewadelaide.com/forum/index.php?topic=349.0 . It appears toxicity on dogs may be exaggerated (as far as death), but it appears they'll at least cause vomiting and soft excrement. It's enough evidence anyway to keep my dogs away as much as I can.

serves them right if they do eat it!! lol least it save me from kicking them in the arse :p

There was a post on here a while ago where someone's dog had eaten used hops from a hopsock (post boil). I think it ate them out of a bin. I also believe it was attracted to the sweet taste of the wort covering the hops, not the actual hops. The dog became very ill and the vets didn't know what was wrong. I think it was similar to the dog eating snail bait (that sort of effect - very high temperature, vomiting, high heart rate, convulsions, etc). I'm sure if you do a search you will find the thread.

Nothing has been mentioned (I think) about dogs eating fresh hops from rhizomes. I will be keeping my eye on this thread because I have a dog which is part of the family. If it died and my hops were to blame, SWMBO would kill me.

Looks more important to keep them away from the trub rather than the plants which is good, as my trub never ends up where they can get to it.

Latest posts

Back