Hopping A Wheat Kit

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jase71

Out of Order
Reaction score
After brewing a great wheat beer a few weeks ago (of which all the evidence has been destroyed!), and the reality that another two batches presently in the house prebably wont be conditioned for quite a while (one taste like crap right now, the other is still in secondary) I plan on putting another wheat beer kit down, as I have all the bits at home.

One thing I might criticise my first wheat beer for was a slight lack of something, and I think it was begging for more hops by all accounts this one would have been around the 15IBU mark. Probably a bit low due to using a tin of malt instead of suagr/dextrose etc.

So as I embark on another quick wheat beer, Im hoping to get some suggestions as to what I might add to give it a bit more of a flavour. Hops in stock are Cascade, Fuggles & Saaz. The kit this time is a Black Rock, and Im not sure what hops they use. I will also be using a 1kg Morgans wheat malt kit, a remaining amount of LDME, around 250grams and dextrose to adjust the OG accordingly. I dont plan on buying anything more than whats in the cupboard/fridge.I should mention that I have some reserved S04 trub which should be OK, or a fresh pack of S05. As well as, of course, everyones favorite yeast, the one on the tin :p

Also, Im not adverse to throwing in some orange peel and/or coriander seeds into the boil either. But ultimately I think a good hopping is the first priority.

So - Hop suggestions ?

Saaz or similar

ED: And it is an inherently low bittered/hoppy style - BJCP has it @ 10 - 20 IBU

rather than adding hops you should try swapping the s-04 or us-05 for a wheat yeast like the danstar munich wheat or the saf wb-06. This will give you a more authentic wheat flavour, as the yeast is a much more significant flavour component in wheat beers than many other styles.

Yep I'd go with a good yeast. I've used WB06 with good results.

As far as adding hops goes I just did a Hefe with Cascade & Williamette & WLP300 yeast. Very nice.

Recipe was;

1 can Coopers Wheat
1.5kg Liquid Wheat malt
250grms Caramalt
5grms Williamette @ 15min
5grms Cascade @ 15min
20grms Willamette @ 5min
10grms Cascade @ 5min
WLP -300 Hefe yeast

Cheers, Mat.

Thanks Guys, but I won't have the opportunity to order from my HBS for a while, and I'm not spending $5-8 on postage for just one item.

Any suggestions as to commercial wheat beers on the market that I might harvest from? My local independent has a very good range of European beers.

I noticed some yeast in the bottom of some empty Paulaner bottles I've collected lately. Just now checking the net, might be promising.
[url="http://www.paulaner-kundenportal.de/135.0.d851ba9e3119424a8630a13e9487ac5a.html?PHPSESSID=d851ba9e3119424a8630a13e9487ac5a
[/url]
I'm certainly going to try it out in the near future, unless advised to the contrary.

Also, I noted that an American brewery was said to use cascade hops in one of their wheat beers, can't find the reference but will look if you like

Also, I noted that an American brewery was said to use cascade hops in one of their wheat beers, can't find the reference but will look if you like

You'll find most american beers have cascade !

From my readings American wheats have little yeast presence and rely on the hops for flavouring. Goes back to the days of the old west when there was heaps of wheat and no barley. European wits rely heavily on the yeast for flavour.

I use Liberty in my American wheat but no reason not to use cascade.

I did one similar to this about a month ago.

The hopping was 24g Saaz steeped for 15 mins. When the beer was still green the hops had an initial bite to it on the front of the tongue. After another week it mellowed somewhat and made a smoother more fragrant beer. Came out more like a Leffe Blond than anything else. The rest of the ingredients were goo + liquid light malt + 500 g dry wheat malt + S-04. OG = 1055, FG = 1014.

What kind of wheat style are you shooting for? Belgian? Austrian?

Cheers - Fermented.

One thing I might criticise my first wheat beer for was a slight lack of something, and I think it was begging for more hops by all accounts this one would have been around the 15IBU mark. Probably a bit low due to using a tin of malt instead of suagr/dextrose etc.

So - Hop suggestions ?
[/quote]

Jase I did a wheat with Dunstar Munich yeast a month or two ago. Came out OK but was nicer when I swirled the bottle around and poured to a chilled gobblet type glass which would let you get your nose right in there for a good wiff.Given the IBU10-20suggested range the yeast may be a better option than adding more hops. :icon_cheers:
Daz

Any suggestions as to commercial wheat beers on the market that I might harvest from? My local independent has a very good range of European beers.

If you can find an Emersons Weissbier or DunkelWeiss they have some pretty good yeast in it.. Ive recultured it before and got awesome esthers off of it. Id probably trust commercial beer yeast thats come to you guys from NZ as opposed to Europe..

Latest posts

Back