Hop Yield And Sun Exposure Link?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimi

Reaction score
Have other hop growers found a link between their hop yield and sunlight exposure? I ask as only in the last couple of weeks my hops have started to flower, which appears typical for this area. The ONLY areas on each hop bine to flower have been the areas which have the greatest sunlight exposure.

A photo would explain this well but no camera ATM - Each hop plant runs up a 2.5 m trellis attached to my fence and then follows a string from the top of the trellis to the branches of a near by tree. The string from the top of the trellis is also about 2.5m. The trellis attached to the fence has less than 8hrs sunlight and although it has grown well up this trellis it has not produced any signs of flowering. Above the fence line the hops recieve more sun and lots of cones have appeared.

Just wondering whether this was caused by sunlight or maybe older growth doesn't flower as well, or may be the top of hops are the only areas to yield etc etc. anywho what's the experience of others??

hops are very sensitive to day length, that's why commercially they are only grown between the 55th and 35th parallel. I had heard it's only the day length not the direct sunlight but maybe your hops in the shade aren't enjoying it, or there could be other reasons.

Good obervations. It is well documented. Areas of hop production are largely determined by latitude.

You could even trick your hops into flowering by having artificial light on them for a few extra hours with fluoros, LEDs or similar, from memory, it doesn't even have to provide the proper light spectums for growth, just let the plants think it is a few extra hours of light.

I did a quick google search and found a couple of things... it does seem like people tend to have more documentation on growing other things with artificial lighting... *cough*

Good obervations. It is well documented. Areas of hop production are largely determined by latitude.

You could even trick your hops into flowering by having artificial light on them for a few extra hours with fluoros, LEDs or similar, from memory, it doesn't even have to provide the proper light spectums for growth, just let the plants think it is a few extra hours of light.

I did a quick google search and found a couple of things... it does seem like people tend to have more documentation on growing other things with artificial lighting... *cough*

Do you think that a couple of those solar powered garden lights at the bottom of the plant could get the bottom half of the hop bine producing as well?

Latest posts

Back