Hop Utilization

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hamstringsally

Reaction score
with my newer big vessel ive been seeing how much i can actually brew out of my 200l barrels. Ive stepped up brew by brew of the original 23l batch all the way up to 6 times the original recipe. it was all perfecto until I x everything by 6. It seems that the beer is alot more bitter that when i x it by 5. I know for sure there was no cock up in terms of amount of hops as in way too much or twice or anything like that.

basically my bittering hop was 8.7 % aa and for the first brew it was 12g at 60 min (POR)
times that by 5 and i added at 60 min 60g. all good
times it by 6 so 72g at 60 min - too bitter

my pre boil gravity readings for (x 5) were all 1.041 to 1.042
for 6 times the amount it came out at 1.041 as well?
im wondering if it has anything to do with mash temp because i mashed at 65 deg for the bigger batch ( x 6) and all the ones at x5 at 68 deg.

ive done the x 5 batch now 4 times and all pretty the same.

all my final gravity readings are ending up 1.046 for all of them.

can anyone help solve my problemo?

( brewing all the beer for my upcoming wedding re. larger amounts) :party:

should i just cut back the amount of hops for bittering for x6 so lets say instead of 72 put it at 65?

thanks in advance!

hammo

with my newer big vessel ive been seeing how much i can actually brew out of my 200l barrels. Ive stepped up brew by brew of the original 23l batch all the way up to 6 times the original recipe. it was all perfecto until I x everything by 6. It seems that the beer is alot more bitter that when i x it by 5. I know for sure there was no cock up in terms of amount of hops as in way too much or twice or anything like that.

basically my bittering hop was 8.7 % aa and for the first brew it was 12g at 60 min (POR)
times that by 5 and i added at 60 min 60g. all good
times it by 6 so 72g at 60 min - too bitter

my pre boil gravity readings for (x 5) were all 1.041 to 1.042
for 6 times the amount it came out at 1.041 as well?
im wondering if it has anything to do with mash temp because i mashed at 65 deg for the bigger batch ( x 6) and all the ones at x5 at 68 deg.

ive done the x 5 batch now 4 times and all pretty the same.

all my ORIGINAL gravity readings are ending up 1.046 for all of them.

can anyone help solve my problemo?

( brewing all the beer for my upcoming wedding re. larger amounts) :party:

should i just cut back the amount of hops for bittering for x6 so lets say instead of 72 put it at 65?

thanks in advance!

hammo

6 x23lt is 138lt right yer
72g x 8.7%aa x 30% utilisation = 18792
18792 Divided by (138lt x 10) =13.6 IBU
If the litres are right your calculation are wrong
These are old school calculations done on a calculator

Hamstringsally,

How are you cooling your wort after boil? The more volume, longer time to cool. This might be affecting you bitterness.

Goid

Hamstringsally,

How are you cooling your wort after boil? The more volume, longer time to cool. This might be affecting you bitterness.

Goid

as soon as flame out i whirlpool for 20 min then put through a plate chiller and into fermenters at about 24 deg?

Back