Hop Time Roles

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hey screwy,

what beer on the market that i could buy that is dominated or mainly made up of galaxy hops to give me a good idea of its characteristics?

Well .......er .....ah couch splutter there is the Crown Ambassador Reserve Lager :lol:

Cascade First Harvest Ale

Not sure of where you are, can you get access to Bridge Rd Galaxy IPA Or Mountain Goat Double IPA. The now closed Eagle Heights Brewery at Mt Tamborine (QLD) had a great example (IPA).

Rumor has it that it is used in Matilda Alpha Pale Ale, but I think it's Super Alpha.

Cheers,

Screwy

Well .......er .....ah couch splutter there is the Crown Ambassador Reserve Lager :lol:

Cascade First Harvest Ale

Not sure of where you are, can you get access to Bridge Rd Galaxy IPA Or Mountain Goat Double IPA. The now closed Eagle Heights Brewery at Mt Tamborine (QLD) had a great example (IPA).

Rumor has it that it is used in Matilda Alpha Pale Ale, but I think it's Super Alpha.

Cheers,

Screwy

no can do mate based in melb but keen to track some down and give it a go

cheers

This last bit is interesting to me. Most beers I make have either a single 60 minute addition, a single 45 in the case of some low bittered UKs or a 60, 20 and 0. The few exceptions to that have been a small number of American style beers which, when I make them I'm tending towards hopbursting. I'll usually start at about 25 minutes with small amounts - a larger amount of bittering will have gone in at 60 and sometimes 45.

What unwelcome characteristics can hopping (with high aa type hops) in the 50-20 range bring?

Bump MHB.

Curious because the answer may influence my hopping schedule for hoppier beers if I know what i'm looking for.

Cheers

The main culprit is myrcene, American hops are often very rich in myrcene, and it accounts (primarily) for flavours described as Soapy or Cheesy, there are also a bunch of Terpens and Keytones as well as some minor hop oils that we are best rid of. There is also a chemical path way that involves insoluble hop fractions becoming Alcoholised (gaining an OH) and becoming soluble, this takes some time, once they have gone into solution they can be scrubbed from the wort with the steam, examples would be Linalool, Geranoil and Humulerol among others.

Myrcene isn't all bad; in fact it can be really nice, if you use it either early or late, in my experience most of the unpleasant tastes in (particularly) American beers can be traced to midpoint hop additions.

MHB

This is what Brewing Wiki has to say.
Myrcene yields flavors that were not traditionally considered desirable by European brewers, and noble hops are very low in myrcene. However, many American hop varieties are very high in myrcene; it makes up up to 60% of total oil in Cascade and up to 70% in Amarillo. Also found in some citrus fruits, myrcene lends American hops many of their distinctive flavors.

When added late in, or after, the boil, myrcene adds the intense, pungent aroma associated with American dry-hopped beers. When boiled for longer periods, it yields the characteristic citrus and pine aromas of American craft beer.

Cheers.

Any chance that the chemicals you speak of will give a medicinal type flavour? I have noticed an american brown I'm continually tweaking sometimes displays this character. Made me think it was an infection for quite a while but only ever happened with this one brew that employed a high proportion of amarillo between 30 and 20. Most recent attempt I've backed off on the flavour addition and gone for hop bursting so even though it has a 20 minute addition, it's only a few grams. Seems to be better but only in secondary so I will have to wait and see.

Flavour I'm talking about reminds me of chlorophenols but subtler.

Latest posts

Back