Hop tea for sleeping?. How?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mje1980

Old Thunder brewery
Reaction score
So I'm in a leg splint. Got another month to go. I'm a side sleeper hardcore but I'm restricted to flat on my back, which is really affecting my sleep. Not really keen on sleeping tablets for a month, do I thought about hop tea. Supposedly good to assist sleeping, and I have some hop flowers.

Just tried my first batch. About 3 cones compressed in enough water for a cup. Let steep then strained and drank. So bitter but I forced it down with the help of some Splenda. I'm in bed now so hopefully you won't hear from me for a while haha.

Anyone got any tips??

Prepare a wort to 1.080 SG, boil for one hour and add your favourite hops, staggering the additions over time to get 70-80 IBU. Cool to 18-22c add an active culture of yeast, wait two weeks.... you know the rest...

Get the misses the throw a leg over. That is always a recipe for a good night sleep.

Yep! The good old hop pillow! A traditional medicinal treatment. Relies more on the aroma than the taste.

You could also take a wine and mull it, adding something sweet (honey) and something bitter and spicy (hops, other spices).

Or eucalyptus oil style - pour the hop tea into a bowl, put your head over the bowl and put a cloth over your head. Don't fall asleep in the bowl though....

Or IPA icecream. You make the custard for the icecream as per normal; add the hops 10 minutes before the end. Egg custard thickens (I think) around 70 degrees, and you don't boil it, so you'll get quite a bit of the character of the hop, ie, flavour and aroma, and not just the bittering effect.

Heh. Was thinking of making some for the next Merri Mashers meeting. You can find recipes for it on the net.

Look, with icecream, what you've got really is a tonne of sugar, and a bit of other stuff (cream, flavouring) thrown into the mix. Sugar makes *anything* taste good*.

*Maybe don't take me up on that.

Sugar sounds good, it's quite bitter haha. I steeped some Riwaka for a good 15 mins then filtered into a bottle. In the fridge now. Might try it again, though I tried restavit last night which worked pretty good. With another month to go I'm not sure I want to be using them all that time.

I find that Speyside scotches are best for sleep, especially the ones on tributaries with lots of limestone, such as caol isla

Hops are also a diuretic, which might interfere with the sleep bit.

You could try valerian combined with a sub-lingual melatonin spray. Works like a charm for me.

Lol...saw "Just tried my first batch, about 3 cones..'.......then realised you where not smoking it...

Run them through a coffee grinder (or get on the chop) and pack them into empty gelatin caps

Latest posts

Back