Hop Suggestions

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sir Cursealot

Reaction score
Has anyone tried the newish coopers English Bitter kit yet? If so, did you add any hops?

Im trying my first one this weekend and hoping a bit of bitterness, but nothing too over powering. My experience with coopers kits is they are very bland and need something to help them in the right general direction

Any thoughts?

Your bitterness will depend on when you add the hops. If you simply want to add flavor, but not too much more bitterness, bring some water to the boil and add 15 grams of pellets for 20 minutes or so, then the same again just after you turn the heat off.

As for hop types, well thats up to you. Try some Amarillo if you want an interesting taste (your beer will then turn out tasting a bit like James Squire Golden Ale, if that's a guide for you). If youre going for a more typical aussie beer, then Pride of Ringwood would be the go.

Dont waste your money on the hop 'tea bags', spend 10-15 bucks on a hundred grams from your local HB shop.

Hope this helps.

Ive been adding hops for about three years now on my ales and wheat kits, so I understand boils and the like

Just after a guide on what to try as I am not too familiar with bitters. James Squire is a nice drop though, thanks

Has anyone tried the newish coopers English Bitter kit yet? If so, did you add any hops?

Im trying my first one this weekend and hoping a bit of bitterness, but nothing too over powering. My experience with coopers kits is they are very bland and need something to help them in the right general direction

Any thoughts?
This kit is hopped with POR for bitterness, and late Styrian Goldings for aroma. Made to Coopers' recommendation, it should yeild mid-30's IBUs, which is already decent enough for an English bitter.

If you want to give it more hop character, you might want to try one of the well known English hops to give this a bit more depth.
Some of the following are quite commonly used in UK Bitters...
* Challenger
* Northdown
* Progress
* Kent Golding
* First Gold

Fuggles is one of the better known traditional UK hops, though it is a bit of a love/hate kind of hop (doesn't rock my boat).

For my suggestion, you could do a lot worse than Challenger, Northdown or Goldings (or a mix of all three!) - All available from above sponsors. Do a short boil/hop steep, and add this to the kit.

I have one on tap at the moment that used about 30gm each of Northdown + First Gold, 5 minute boil, and it is a real winner. Lovely complex hop character, good firm bitterness from the kit.

Hope you like it.

I ussually boil the kit and fermentables together when I add my hops, for no other reason than I love the smell of everything combining. Might give your suggestion a go, thanks Hutch!

Will probably give it a go with saf-ale yeast though, rather than the coopers provided

I ussually boil the kit and fermentables together when I add my hops, for no other reason than I love the smell of everything combining. Might give your suggestion a go, thanks Hutch!

Will probably give it a go with saf-ale yeast though, rather than the coopers provided

+1

You won't regret it

Cheers

Chappo

Definitely swap the yeast for something better. Safale will do a better job.
FWIW I used a WYeast English strain, with very good results - so the kit is not to blame if it turns out an average beer!

Why do you boil the Kit, it will only drive off the hop oils and reduce the bitterness

Isnt that the point....? to replace the hop oils in the kit with those you want. To make the brew more your own?

Not if you're deliberately selecting a specific kit.

A kilo or so of light dry malt extract dissolved into the mix wouldn't hurt, it'll add a bit of body (and malt - obviously - but also help head retention)... for hops, try the old favourites; East Kent Goldings/Fuggles or my current favourite - Styrian Goldings - maybe just one plant to get a flava...

Edited to add, an English bitter isn't a smack arse hop fest, but some of the suggestions here are great - just don't go mad if it's authenticity you're after.

Kit wise - you would boil the Coopers tinned gunk for a while to temper the Coopers choice hop then add your own...

Fuggles and EKG - about 15g of each with 15mins left on the boil. Then 15g of EKG dry hopped after about 4 days of fermenting

Just because you disagree doesn't mean it won't help with an english bitter.

Now stop being a bitter old man and jumping on replies!

Isnt that the point....? to replace the hop oils in the kit with those you want. To make the brew more your own?

Um, so why use can kit malt goop? Why bother using a kit can and then driving the hop profile away, then adding hops ?

You know that you can buy UN-HOPPED cans of goop right, and start with a blank canvas ? Or even LDME ?

Back