Hop stand time & temperature

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MitchD

Reaction score
I don't generally make a lot of hop forward beers and on the odd occasion I do I occasionally do a whirlpool addition but I'm never satisfied with the results, I much prefer dry hopping.

Then I discovered this https://byo.com/mead/item/2808-hop-stands I have always done a 10 minute whirlpool because that's the default in beersmith, but some brewers referenced are doing up to 90 minutes.

What is everyone else doing and are you happy with the results?

I do double batch and recirc through the plate chiller to create the whirlpool.

In my hop fwd beers, I chill to 80. Turn off the water to the chiller. Add hops at 2 to3 g/l and whirlpool for 30. Then chill to pitching temp.

I then dry hop at day 4 of ferment. My rationale for this is it avoids excess blow off of the aromatics with the co2 and minimises oxidisation with the still active yeast

I've been trying it for a while now. I still cant get enough hop flavours. I guess I just need to up the g/l ratio.
Cant complain about the results though. When I try commercial equivalents I feel relieved sometimes but then some have that too pure hop flavour that is extract injected beer. Its kind of like cordial beer. I get it sometimes only with heavy additions but then you get a bit of grass, vegetal flavour.
Home cooking compared to take away.... B)

Added. I now have a thermometer in the keggle. The target is to add a load of yummy hops at ~75c. Whirl, let sit, whirl, let sit for 30 minutes then chill down to pitch temp and pitch.
I am also wondering if overpitching yeast may be stripping some of my hop flavour. :unsure: just thinking out loud

Hop stands can be very yummy but you've got to go heavy with the hops etc..

Everybody's method varies to some degree or other depending on their system.
I'm -- chill to 82 -- pump off -- add hops & sit for 45 min\70 deg c (whichever comes first. Always finished at around 72 anyway) -- pump on & chill down to suit.

Latest posts

Back