hop spider or tube ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mongey

Reaction score
next few brews I want to cut down on my trub a little would like to get the current 5l loss down to 2 or 3 . those extra few long necks each batch help tide me over to next brew day , which with 2nd baby coming in a few months are gonna get more scarce

I use a 50 liter pot with a tap for BIAB full volume mash

not sure if I should go for one of these that hangs on the edge of the pot

https://beerco.com.au/products/hop-spider

or one of these tubes that can submerge

https://www.kegland.com.au/stainless-steel-hop-tube.html

I like the idea of the spider better as I don't have to keep pulling it out with every addition . but its 35cm long so when its hanging on side of pot , once I boil only bottom half of it will be submerged, while the hop tube will be fully submerged.But with the tube I have to pull the boiling hot sucker out to add hops every addition . feel like that could suck

or I could just get 5 or 6 of these

https://www.keg-king.com.au/catalog...mb-70mm-diameter-with-40cm-chain/category/35/

anyone use any of these things . worth it or just stick to my current loss ?

Dont go the hop balls, they dont hold much if you want any utilisation.

I have a hop spider (looks exactly like the one you linked to) and you can bend the handle so it gets more submerged. you do want a fair amount of it poking out, otherwise the hops will try and jump out.
I found that the hop spider didnt let enough wort in and out... and it was a complete biatch to clean... with regular cuts from the rough edges on soggy hands.
I now just throw them in the kettle and do a good whirlpool.

I would advise topping up the kettle a few litres if you want that extra bit (boil a kettle and pour it through the grain bag while you have it draining once or twice), as I have found the hop spider too much trouble.

I use a hop spider but agree with @n87 on the hop balls.
There are spiders with fine and slightly coarser mesh.
I use one with the slightly larger mesh and it seems to work well.
Can't remember where I got it from but might have been from one of the forum sponsors
Mine cleans up nicely with the centre jet of a garden spray gun.
https://www.bunnings.com.au/holman-8-pattern-trigger-spray-gun_p3120274
Then in some perc of course to clean away the little bits.

The wort does move around thru the spider and there a different sizes..i just purchased one

I use a hop bag and never had an issue
You mean like a hop sock? I used one for a long time but when it got discoloured I moved to the hop spider.

If anyone needs a hop spider I've got a brand new one that came with my Guten and don't need.
Going cheap :)

You mean like a hop sock? I used one for a long time but when it got discoloured I moved to the hop spider.

If anyone needs a hop spider I've got a brand new one that came with my Guten and don't need.
Yeah just a sack I got from the lhbs.

I'm probs gonna buy one . you wanna post it ? what size is it ? how cheap ?

helix looks interesting option for the future for sure

So I just bought the spider. went with one of the forum sponsors. prefer to support the core shops , even though it costs me more

we'll see if it does the job next weekend on brewday . just need to decide what to brew

helix looks interesting option for the future for sure

So I just bought the spider. went with one of the forum sponsors. prefer to support the core shops , even though it costs me more

we'll see if it does the job next weekend on brewday . just need to decide what to brew

the helix does help keep the trub where it should be and doesn't clog up as easily as a little mesh filter.

Ok. So bought the spider and using right now. My opinion .. it didnt work for me. Maybe i bought the wrong one . Looked good at the start but I pulled it out at 30 mins and it was holding liquid like a cup.

Pulled it out and tipped contents back into boil and chucked another 10g pellet into kettle to compensate for the lack of flow for first half of boil.

Latest posts

Back