hop spider or tube ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mongey

Reaction score
next few brews I want to cut down on my trub a little would like to get the current 5l loss down to 2 or 3 . those extra few long necks each batch help tide me over to next brew day , which with 2nd baby coming in a few months are gonna get more scarce

I use a 50 liter pot with a tap for BIAB full volume mash

not sure if I should go for one of these that hangs on the edge of the pot

https://beerco.com.au/products/hop-spider

or one of these tubes that can submerge

https://www.kegland.com.au/stainless-steel-hop-tube.html

I like the idea of the spider better as I don't have to keep pulling it out with every addition . but its 35cm long so when its hanging on side of pot , once I boil only bottom half of it will be submerged, while the hop tube will be fully submerged.But with the tube I have to pull the boiling hot sucker out to add hops every addition . feel like that could suck

or I could just get 5 or 6 of these

https://www.keg-king.com.au/catalog...mb-70mm-diameter-with-40cm-chain/category/35/

anyone use any of these things . worth it or just stick to my current loss ?

Dont go the hop balls, they dont hold much if you want any utilisation.

I have a hop spider (looks exactly like the one you linked to) and you can bend the handle so it gets more submerged. you do want a fair amount of it poking out, otherwise the hops will try and jump out.
I found that the hop spider didnt let enough wort in and out... and it was a complete biatch to clean... with regular cuts from the rough edges on soggy hands.
I now just throw them in the kettle and do a good whirlpool.

I would advise topping up the kettle a few litres if you want that extra bit (boil a kettle and pour it through the grain bag while you have it draining once or twice), as I have found the hop spider too much trouble.

I use a hop spider but agree with @n87 on the hop balls.
There are spiders with fine and slightly coarser mesh.
I use one with the slightly larger mesh and it seems to work well.
Can't remember where I got it from but might have been from one of the forum sponsors
Mine cleans up nicely with the centre jet of a garden spray gun.
https://www.bunnings.com.au/holman-8-pattern-trigger-spray-gun_p3120274
Then in some perc of course to clean away the little bits.

The wort does move around thru the spider and there a different sizes..i just purchased one

I use a hop bag and never had an issue
You mean like a hop sock? I used one for a long time but when it got discoloured I moved to the hop spider.

If anyone needs a hop spider I've got a brand new one that came with my Guten and don't need.
Going cheap :)

You mean like a hop sock? I used one for a long time but when it got discoloured I moved to the hop spider.

If anyone needs a hop spider I've got a brand new one that came with my Guten and don't need.
Yeah just a sack I got from the lhbs.

I'm probs gonna buy one . you wanna post it ? what size is it ? how cheap ?

helix looks interesting option for the future for sure

So I just bought the spider. went with one of the forum sponsors. prefer to support the core shops , even though it costs me more

we'll see if it does the job next weekend on brewday . just need to decide what to brew

helix looks interesting option for the future for sure

So I just bought the spider. went with one of the forum sponsors. prefer to support the core shops , even though it costs me more

we'll see if it does the job next weekend on brewday . just need to decide what to brew

the helix does help keep the trub where it should be and doesn't clog up as easily as a little mesh filter.

Ok. So bought the spider and using right now. My opinion .. it didnt work for me. Maybe i bought the wrong one . Looked good at the start but I pulled it out at 30 mins and it was holding liquid like a cup.

Pulled it out and tipped contents back into boil and chucked another 10g pellet into kettle to compensate for the lack of flow for first half of boil.

Back