Hop Question (neslon Sauvin)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chiro

Reaction score
I have just started using Nelson sauvin hop pellets and really like them. I've accidently ordered Nelson sauvin hop flowers instead of the pellets which turned up today. Just wondering will the flowers cause any difference in flavour or character to my brew when compared to the hops? Also do I use the same amounts? Currently using 30g of pellets per brew.

Thanks
Rick

Rule of thumb is around 10% more flours to hops. Some say flowers will taste fresher and there are more oils (more flavour) - I personally don't notice enough difference to warrant it being a massive issue.

I'm a big user of Nelson Sauvin. If you look in my signature, there is a recipe where I've used Nelson with citra (and some nobles) - fantastic AAA.

I tend to use them as a flavouring hop, just because they're so good.

I've got another beer (I just ahven't taken photos) which has Nelson & Smaragd in it. SWMBO loves it, and Nelson is only there for flavour, with Smaragd for a softer bitterness and flavour.

Goomba

Rule of thumb is around 10% more flours to hops. Some say flowers will taste fresher and there are more oils (more flavour) - I personally don't notice enough difference to warrant it being a massive issue.

I'm a big user of Nelson Sauvin. If you look in my signature, there is a recipe where I've used Nelson with citra (and some nobles) - fantastic AAA.

I tend to use them as a flavouring hop, just because they're so good.

I've got another beer (I just ahven't taken photos) which has Nelson & Smaragd in it. SWMBO loves it, and Nelson is only there for flavour, with Smaragd for a softer bitterness and flavour.

Goomba

Yep agree with all this.

LRG and I are both very big users of NS (we've both posted a lot about our opinions of this hop). It's my favourite hop and use a lot of it.
I don't do a bittering addition as such with it though as it is easy to overdo NS. My longest addition with it is 30mins, and this seems to generate enough bitterness to offset the malt, whilst still adding it's luberly flavoury goodness.

I no chill though, so a typical 60min bittering may be ok with chilling post boil.

I chill and still don't use it for more than 30m. If I need a bittering hop, I find something else to do that job. Smaragd is good and cheap for use Brisvegans, but it'll be what's closeby and cheap for you.

BigNath & I have infected a couple of topics discussing NS, I'm sure you'll find some more information there if you search the forum.

@BigNath - I've got one in the fermenter at the moment (APA), which is Nelson Sauvin, Citra, Galaxy & Cascade. When I could be bothered heading downstairs, I'll whack some more Galaxy & Cascade in for a good solid dry hop. And I've use a touch of rye for spiciness.

Goomba

@BigNath - I've got one in the fermenter at the moment (APA), which is Nelson Sauvin, Citra, Galaxy & Cascade. When I could be bothered heading downstairs, I'll whack some more Galaxy & Cascade in for a good solid dry hop. And I've use a touch of rye for spiciness.

That sounds bloody delicious....

Thanks for all of the replies so far.

Lord Raja Goomba so I'm dry hopping 30 grams of NS pellets now, so with flowers do I just add 10% so 33 grams of flowers? I may have this wrong but that to me would seem to do much. Have I understood the 10% rule right?

I'm a newb and this is the first hop I've played with.

TIA

Edit to add. I'm only using kits and this is the recipe I've been making http://www.coopers.com.au/the-brewers-guil...ong-vintage-ale bloody tastes sooo good!

Thanks for all of the replies so far.

Lord Raja Goomba so I'm dry hopping 30 grams of NS pellets now, so with flowers do I just add 10% so 33 grams of flowers? I may have this wrong but that to me would seem to do much. Have I understood the 10% rule right?

I'm a newb and this is the first hop I've played with.

TIA

Edit to add. I'm only using kits and this is the recipe I've been making http://www.coopers.com.au/the-brewers-guil...ong-vintage-ale bloody tastes sooo good!

Quantities are perfectly good.

As another option - if you want more flavour, I'd consider (if you haven't started fermentation yet), drawing off, say 5L of the wort (goo+water), putting it into a saucepan, and boiling around 40g of flowers in it for about 15 minutes.

Whilst dry hopping with that much nelson will give fantastic aroma, the boiling for 15 minutes will add a nice amount of flavour as well, and really finish the beer off for you.

Good link though.

Cheers

Goomba

PS @ Nath - the last one was awesome, this is just me never being happy with a beer that's adequately awesome but trying to really "improve" it.

Quantities are perfectly good.

As another option - if you want more flavour, I'd consider (if you haven't started fermentation yet), drawing off, say 5L of the wort (goo+water), putting it into a saucepan, and boiling around 40g of flowers in it for about 15 minutes.

Whilst dry hopping with that much nelson will give fantastic aroma, the boiling for 15 minutes will add a nice amount of flavour as well, and really finish the beer off for you.

Good link though.

Cheers

Goomba

PS @ Nath - the last one was awesome, this is just me never being happy with a beer that's adequately awesome but trying to really "improve" it.

Thanks Goomba. I love the aroma of this hop also.

I've never brewed with this hop but I've had a few commercial brews featuring it. It's has a really tasty aroma but I'd think twice about bittering with it.

I've heard others talk about burnt rubber and after tasting the Brew dog 'IPA is Dead' series I concur

Flowers can often cause kettle drain problems compared with pellets, depends on how your kettle outlet is set up. I know last time i used flowers/plugs my outlet barb clogged.

I always have used pellets, can't see the point of flowers. Pellets oxidise slower so they store better, give better extraction, easier to measure...

I've never brewed with this hop but I've had a few commercial brews featuring it. It's has a really tasty aroma but I'd think twice about bittering with it.

I've heard others talk about burnt rubber and after tasting the Brew dog 'IPA is Dead' series I concur

Never tasted burnt rubber even in a SMASH,with @ 60 addition.I did however changed my hop profile to @ 30 min for earliest addition in a SMASH.

Haven't tried the Brew dog IPA your referring to.Have never seen a NS reference to this,but have to some yeasts.

Making my first Extra Strong Vintage Ale, as per the recipe in How to Brew. Instructions say "Enclose (30 gm Nelson Sauvin pellets) in mesh bag and place on top of the brew." Question: Do you boil the pellets first and for how long? Then do you simply float the mesh bag on top of the wort after pitching? The recipe also refers to other hop types: fuggles, hallertau, cascade etc. Do you add one of these as well or do they only apply to a similar brew (without Nelson Sauvin)?

PS: Having just opened my first bottle of another HTB recipe for Californian Steam Beer (Anchor), the result was magnificent. Having tasted Anchor Steam in San Francisco some years ago, it has got to be one of the world's great beers and the recipe matches it!

Making my first Extra Strong Vintage Ale, as per the recipe in How to Brew. Instructions say "Enclose (30 gm Nelson Sauvin pellets) in mesh bag and place on top of the brew." Question: Do you boil the pellets first and for how long? Then do you simply float the mesh bag on top of the wort after pitching? The recipe also refers to other hop types: fuggles, hallertau, cascade etc. Do you add one of these as well or do they only apply to a similar brew (without Nelson Sauvin)?

Dry hopping will work fine (mesh bag, no boil).

Maybe wait until a couple of days after you have pitched the yeast, as the first most vigorous few days of yeast activity *can* scrub some hop aroma.

Sanitise the mesh bag first and limit the amount of time you have the fermenter open, to reduce the chance of introducing an infection.

Latest posts

Back