Hop Prices In Tasmania

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

staggalee

Reaction score
Out of interest, rang a hb shop in Hobart {free std calls here} to see what they`re charging for the common old P.O.R. pellets.

$9.50 for 50 grams thank you!

Breathtaking stuff.

stagga.

Holy crap. Are they gold plated or something?

I get mine for $8.50 for 100g.

Out of interest, rang a hb shop in Hobart {free std calls here} to see what they`re charging for the common old P.O.R. pellets.

$9.50 for 50 grams thank you!

Breathtaking stuff.

stagga.

Hence why my wallet doesn't open for hbs here in tas. I can't support my local with these prices. Call the launceston mob or the one out at legana there even worse.

havent purchased hops locally for some time so dont know what they are charging currently. will have to take notice next time i go to the shop.
cant imagine they sell much at that price though. well, except to those that have not heard of this internet thing.
joe

184dekalb1107.jpg

the leaves are passed of as hop flowers :D

stagga.

but why in the name of Larry, Moe and Curley would he be charging that?
My missus is in Launceston now, then Hobart Thursday, Iwas planning on some hops at a realistic price, seeing they actually grow 20 k`s from the shop.
Silly bloody me. :(

stagga.

In Hobart?

stagga.

No not in Hobart. In Melb. Just using it as a comparison.

Do they charge a premium for the freshness of them down there or something? ;) Amazing.

Gotta admit I have found a lot of goods quite steep down in Tas when I've been down there. I guess it's a supply and demand thing. Less homebrewers down there = less turnover = less buying of stock inventory at larger wholesale prices/deals. Has to be transferred onto the customers. At work we get the Hobart Mercury in occasionally and often they have camping gear catalogues - all the prices seem to be about 30-40% steeper.

Hopper.

its a joke, yes.

and freshness? haha, their hops are in zip lock bags and about as stale as they come!

tassie sucks for homebrew :(

edit

ps. im back! probably havent posted or brewed in nearly a year. put on my first batch in ages last week. good to be back on the horse

I wonder if that little brewery down in Launceston pays that price for their Pride of Ringwood?

Boags must be monopolosing the supply of fresh POR.

Boags must be monopolosing the supply of fresh POR.

Boags (Tas) > Owned by Tooheys (NSW) > Owned by Lion Nathan (NZ) > Owned by Kirin (Jap) = Huge buying power.

I guess with a supply chain and connections like they have they can crunch the sort of deals on hops we would only dream about.

Hopper.

I might just drop in to one of the hop farms in the North East when I'm up that way on summer holidays. Surely they wouldn't mind parting with a few handfuls at a reasonable rate, perhaps even a rhizome. It really makes more sense to grow your own here in Tassie, we have the ideal climate etc.
Homebrew shops in Tassie really suck, I'de rather get my stuff sent down from Ross anyday.

I might just drop in to one of the hop farms in the North East when I'm up that way on summer holidays. Surely they wouldn't mind parting with a few handfuls at a reasonable rate, perhaps even a rhizome. It really makes more sense to grow your own here in Tassie, we have the ideal climate etc.
Homebrew shops in Tassie really suck, I'de rather get my stuff sent down from Ross anyday.

The HBS in the city that has been there for years and I was buying off them back in my can of malt and a bag of LDME days. However it has now closed and disappeared along with Amanda who ran it for many years and was a very knowledgeable lady. There is only one HBS open in in Hobart and thats in Moonah and was started by Andrew from Brew by You of which he closed down in Glenorchy a couple of years ago. I will be having a couple of beers with Geof who runs the shop at Xmas and will ask the question why their pricing is out of sync with most others. Whether I get a straght answer is debateable. The last time I bought anything from BBY I was charged $7.00 for a sachet of US-05 and asked the question why so dear and was told it had gone up so I didn't argue and found out later this wasn't the case. Now Geof is a nice guy but to the best of my knowledge he doesn't set the prices. (I think). Looking at some of the hop prices on some of my stash before I and others got together and went overseas for hops a 25gr packet of cascade was selling for $4.50 that would equate to 18 bucks a 20L brew if you are hopping a 100 grams a brew which is fairly normal for me. I think that the heart of the matter is that they are not aiming the business at the serious AG brewer but only at the small timers and with the competition gone it just makes it that much better. And there endeth the lesson Amen.

:chug:

I was down there earlier this year , just at the end of the hop season

could not buy at the farm gate

could not buy at the processing plant

All bundled up and sent either O/S or to the brewery

but why in the name of Larry, Moe and Curley would he be charging that?
My missus is in Launceston now, then Hobart Thursday, Iwas planning on some hops at a realistic price, seeing they actually grow 20 k`s from the shop.
Silly bloody me. :(

stagga.
Maybe the guy has buck teeth and is married to his sister, does all sorts of funny things to the brain and rational thinking, especially if it's been going on for a few generations :eek: .

Pre- apology to any normal Tasmanians, but it really is time you had this sort of problem sorted out.

The HBS in the city that has been there for years and I was buying off them back in my can of malt and a bag of LDME days. However it has now closed and disappeared along with Amanda who ran it for many years and was a very knowledgeable lady. There is only one HBS open in in Hobart and thats in Moonah and was started by Andrew from Brew by You of which he closed down in Glenorchy a couple of years ago. I will be having a couple of beers with Geof who runs the shop at Xmas and will ask the question why their pricing is out of sync with most others. Whether I get a straght answer is debateable. The last time I bought anything from BBY I was charged $7.00 for a sachet of US-05 and asked the question why so dear and was told it had gone up so I didn't argue and found out later this wasn't the case. Now Geof is a nice guy but to the best of my knowledge he doesn't set the prices. (I think). Looking at some of the hop prices on some of my stash before I and others got together and went overseas for hops a 25gr packet of cascade was selling for $4.50 that would equate to 18 bucks a 20L brew if you are hopping a 100 grams a brew which is fairly normal for me. I think that the heart of the matter is that they are not aiming the business at the serious AG brewer but only at the small timers and with the competition gone it just makes it that much better. And there endeth the lesson Amen.

Tas Home Brewing supplies has reopened in the city in Liverpool street, same Amanda running it, prices are still reasonable (no affiliation)

Itmechanic :beer:

I was down there earlier this year , just at the end of the hop season

could not buy at the farm gate

could not buy at the processing plant

All bundled up and sent either O/S or to the brewery

yeah that`s what I was told 2 days ago as well.
T hey`re not interested in blokes like us. As for the bloke in Hobart`s $9.50 for 50g. P.O.R..... he`s dreamin.

stagga.

I think that the heart of the matter is that they are not aiming the business at the serious AG brewer but only at the small timers and with the competition gone it just makes it that much better. And there endeth the lesson Amen.

the problem with that logic is that the avg homebrewer will soon work out what it will cost to continue buying at those prices and soon a carton of cascade/boags at $40 doesnt seem so expensive. wave good bye to that home brew customer.

Latest posts

Back