Hop Plugs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bribie G

Adjunct Professor
Reaction score
When I first started ordering from CraftBrewer I noticed that hops were available not only as pellets and flowers but also plugs, i.e. compressed little cylinders of flowers. Neat idea and very easy to handle. I have so far used Perle, Saaz and Fuggles. I don't use plugs exclusively, I also use whole flowers, and pellets. However two queries:

What does a plug actually weigh? I have developed my own rule of thumb that works quite well - e.g two bittering plugs in the boil, two flavour plugs for 20 mins, one aroma plug at 5 mins but it's still a bit hit or miss as there is no weight declared for the product.

I saw in a post, can't remember where, a photo of a real ale brewery in the UK where a worker was putting hop plugs into a cask through the spile-hole and the penny dropped: "aha, plugs are obviously made for easy dry hopping" .. Not only that but all plugs are apparently produced in the UK which is the only country producing cask ales, which reinforces the idea that they are really just for dry hopping.

So should I just be using plugs for dry hopping, which I currently do in the fermenter, ????

Plugs are half an ounce, or 14 grams. Can be used at any time, they are just compressed whole hop cones.

i think theyre meant to be about a 1/2 oz, which is a hair over 14g in our terms. There is a little variation though naturally. It's interesting to see that the really tiny plugs and big ones all way approx the same though, just packed tigher/looser.

edit: damn gotta be quick :p

When I first started ordering from CraftBrewer I noticed that hops were available not only as pellets and flowers but also plugs, i.e. compressed little cylinders of flowers. Neat idea and very easy to handle. I have so far used Perle, Saaz and Fuggles. I don't use plugs exclusively, I also use whole flowers, and pellets. However two queries:

What does a plug actually weigh? I have developed my own rule of thumb that works quite well - e.g two bittering plugs in the boil, two flavour plugs for 20 mins, one aroma plug at 5 mins but it's still a bit hit or miss as there is no weight declared for the product.

I saw in a post, can't remember where, a photo of a real ale brewery in the UK where a worker was putting hop plugs into a cask through the spile-hole and the penny dropped: "aha, plugs are obviously made for easy dry hopping" .. Not only that but all plugs are apparently produced in the UK which is the only country producing cask ales, which reinforces the idea that they are really just for dry hopping.

So should I just be using plugs for dry hopping, which I currently do in the fermenter, ????

The main benefit of using plugs for dry hopping is that the oils are less damaged from processing than pellets, but they are still fine for bittering, although pellets do store a slightly better and do get better extraction efficiency, however not enought to be worth losing any sleep over.
Plugs are great

Q

I like the flavour from plugs and though it shouldn'tbe any different I like the flavour from plugs. But they do soak up a lot of volume compared to pellets. I only reach for plugs if there are no pellets available.

I thought a plug was 30g, with ripping it in half giving you ~15g, but must admit I haven't used them in a little while.

If i remember correctly, a plug is 15g. I'm pretty sure i got a 90g pack a while back and it had 6 plugs in it

Maybe im wrong... who knows B) . knowing me, i will be

giggity

Sponge

After a couple of "should I put my arm in the chilled kettle to massage the stainless steel pot scubber" moments I've realised
that working out my hop schedule should include a couple of plugs. Don't care if they're bittering or aroma but they need to
be there.

Plugs don't give quite the same utilisation but with my efficiency swinging about a bit they act as a good filter for trub etc
when draining to the .......dare I say it........No Chill Cubes!! (I don't put my arm in any more)

I like pellets for weighing accuracy and a couple of plugs for their good filtering effect.

Cheers,
smudge

i call my plugs 15g. love them in conjunction with the hop screen in my kettle, love them dry-hopped.

Plugs are the greatest.
The last long in vacuum packs.
They soak up so much of break and filter nicely.
Superb for dry hopping.

Can you use plugs for hopback, and how many would you use?

That depends on how hoppy you want your beer and how big your hopback is!

That depends on how hoppy you want your beer and how big your hopback is!
True, and how big your pocket is.....
I think I have to plant some Rhizomes in the fall. :rolleyes:

Just going on prices, if plugs are 12g then six plugs for around six or seven dollars seems to equate to eight to ten bucks for loose flowers or pellets seems to be on the money.

I'm tending still to look on plugs as a flavour enhancer for late hopping or dry hopping. In fact I'm going to order some East Kent Goldings with my West Yorkshire Bitter Wyeast and do myself a sort of hop back-in-a-colander for my next ale brew.

How are people using plugs to dry hop?
I stuck a Styrian Goldings plug in a stocking, then chucked it in the keg (pre carbonated) for 2 weeks and didn't notice alot of difference compared to without it. But it was floating on top and not really getting "in there". Would putting some ball bearings in the stocking with a piece of string to take it out again after a week or two help much?

How are people using plugs to dry hop?
I stuck a Styrian Goldings plug in a stocking, then chucked it in the keg (pre carbonated) for 2 weeks and didn't notice alot of difference compared to without it. But it was floating on top and not really getting "in there". Would putting some ball bearings in the stocking with a piece of string to take it out again after a week or two help much?

I tend to dry hop in secondary. This will solve that problem. ;)
matti

a little :icon_offtopic: ...... Fuggles, are they a good dry hop ?

Cheers
Yard

Back