Hop Plantation 2005

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Definately TL! The more the merrier I reckon.
I have about 3 shoots flapping around along the ground that I could maybe turn into cuttings. You show me what to do and you have a deal? Just cut them off and stick them in a glass of water? Im in Kambah.
Cheers
Steve

Steve (and others),
I've read some articles on propagating hops cuttings here:
http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profiles0702/climber_prop.asp
http://nepenthes.lycaeum.org/Plants/growing.html#HOPS
http://nepenthes.lycaeum.org/Plants/growing.html#HOPS
http://www.deerislandbrewery.com/hops.html

I'll have a go at snipping some shoots off the Goldings and the Chinook and leave them in a jar of water for a week. Hopefully I'll have some trading stock!

Will advise...

If anyone else nearby wants to swap, I'd love to get my hands on some Cascade and Hallertauer cuttings...

Cheers,
Rowan

TL
I will do the same and report back. Borrets from an earlier post seemed to have taken off ok just by putting them in water.
Cheers
Steve

Heres an update on the elusive POR!
Its going pretty well compared to everyone elses POR in WA and only got planted the week after Sandgroptober fest. Its at my back fence which runs east west and is on the North side so it gets sun for most of the day. I have just turned the sprinklers back on to the garden bed it is in so it gets watered for a few minutes each morning. When I planted it I dug a hole about 18" deep and mixed 1/2 a bucket of well rottted sheep poo into the soil so maybe that is what the difference is.

hops_281005.jpg

When I planted it it had three defined shoots starting and they have all taken off pretty well, two of them are spreading out along the ground and looking for somewhere to climb. This weekend I will have to get off my backside and start to make a pole to drop some twine from for them to climb. How tall is every one else making their trellis? I have some poles about 2.4m high across my back fence with green plastic coated wires strung between them for passion fruit vines. I was going to attach an extension pole to the closest one and drop some strings down but not sure how high to go.

Cheers ausdb

Well, one of my main bines has reached the top of my frame (see pics earlier).....just cant decide whether to snip it off to promote lateral growth or just let it fall back down the other side? The other 4 or 5 bines are about half way up. Anyone any suggestions?
Cheers
Steve

kirem said:
tried this once before, anyone want to swap cuttings?

So far I have Victoria, Cluster, Chinook, Cascade, Goldings and Hersbruk rise from dormancy.

I may have Willamette, it is my newest arrival and hasn't come up so far.

I also have Elsass and Tettnang, but cannot be sure which is which yet, might be able to identify after doing some brewing with them.

I am looking for Saaz, a good Hallertau and a fuggles. Would be interested in other varieties, those listed are just my priority.

K

edit: I am in SA at present.
[post="85953"][/post]​

Kirem, You must have a lot of land!. How are you keeping them seperated? How far apart are each plant?
cheers
Darren

Steve said:
Well, one of my main bines has reached the top of my frame (see pics earlier).....just cant decide whether to snip it off to promote lateral growth or just let it fall back down the other side? The other 4 or 5 bines are about half way up. Anyone any suggestions?
Cheers
Steve
[post="87715"][/post]​

Hey Steve, i wouldnt expect too much lateral growth if you were to snip the top off, you wont get extra bines coming out in a "Y" shape from what i've seen, i lost the top off one of mine and it stopped growing practically, although more shoots came out of the ground.... I reckon just let it grow down the other side of the lattice... Your call anyway. :)

Hopsta said:
Steve said:
Cheers
Steve
[post="87715"][/post]​

Hey Steve, i wouldnt expect too much lateral growth if you were to snip the top off, you wont get extra bines coming out in a "Y" shape from what i've seen, i lost the top off one of mine and it stopped growing practically, although more shoots came out of the ground.... I reckon just let it grow down the other side of the lattice... Your call anyway. :)
[post="87746"][/post]​
I agree cutting of the to will just stop the plnt from growing and reduce you yield. Maybe consider adding a couple of "strings" to increase the height if you can then let it drop down. You expect it to grow at least 5 metres tall.
cheers Darren

Hi all,
by the looks of that link earlier, my hops are a little calcium deficient, Does anyone have any reccommedations as to what product I shoudl use to get some more calcium into them...maybe 1/2 a carton of milk?

My three hallertau bines have reached the top of the frame now:
hops002.jpg

sinkas said:
Hi all,
by the looks of that link earlier, my hops are a little calcium deficient, Does anyone have any reccommedations as to what product I shoudl use to get some more calcium into them...maybe 1/2 a carton of milk?
[post="87764"][/post]​

Sinkas,

Use either lime (Calcium Carbonate) or gypsum (Calcium Sulphate), all depends on your pH. If it is under 6, use lime; if it is over 6 use gypsum.

Hope this helps.

Sorry to but in all but has anyone thought of good old fashioned cow crap. (if you can get it !!!) Great for the vegies...

Halfinch.

mine are sprinkled liberally with sheep sh!t.
Old quote: You usea whadda you get fora free, you know?

but i also mix up a tea of seasol and worm juice now and again
in this weather one runner has literally grown about 4-6 cm a day. (about 1 and a bit curls around the support)
it's great for people like me with short attention spans

Cheers for that,

Mine also will get some nourishment form casting from our worm farm..

Steve said:
TL
I will do the same and report back. Borrets from an earlier post seemed to have taken off ok just by putting them in water.
Cheers
Steve
[post="86359"][/post]​

Yep, my Bonsai Hop Plant is looking better by the day.

hop_bonsai.jpg

My sad main plant has got a heap of new shoots and leaves at the base of the unhealthy looking ones so it has some hope yet.

Bonsai Borret

Borret said:
Steve said:
TL
Cheers
Steve
[post="86359"][/post]​

Yep, my Bonsai Hop Plant is looking better by the day.

View attachment 4674

My sad main plant has got a heap of new shoots and leaves at the base of the unhealthy looking ones so it has some hope yet.

Bonsai Borret
[post="87788"][/post]​

Borret,
I think it is time to dig it up and trim those roots

Well my strongest shoot has survived but all others ( i had 10 or more shoots) have kicked the bucket :angry:

Oh well.......... looks like it a 1 horse race for this hop plants first year :(

cheers

sosman said:
My three hallertau bines have reached the top of the frame now:

Geez Sos, looks like you are streets ahead of the competition! :beer: Perhaps you should get up there and add another few metres onto it :ph34r:

Darren,

Got a bit of land most of it has vines on it.

My hops are at my parents place, they are really setup as source plants.

had a look this evening, not much happening. willamette still hasn't shown its head.

K

Back