Hop Pellets Vs Plugs And Flowers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pellets store better but i love the flowers i got of wayne from beerbelly and i do the ole chiller trick and grind the flowers in a coffee grinder to a powder so its fine when in the kettle doenst suck up as much wort or block my pick up tube

I dont have beersmith or promash and for my next brew. Im copying an existing recipe so in my case it doesnt matter for now but Id like to know for future or does everyone settle on the software defaults? :icon_cheers:
Daz.
Hey DKS I havnt yet got beersmith but I use Qbrew calculator not as good as beersmith but once you get your head around it , it helps to work out ibu and ebc into style you can add in pellets, plugs or flowers and most importantly, for those who know me , .....ITS FREE :D . http://www.usermode.org/code.html

Yers Sully I am going to get beersmith soon or oneday :p

Edit= Link

DKS...
software defaults are default for a reason...the numbers (which are similar in beersmith to promash, but using pellets as the default) aren't pulled off the top of the programmers head. ;)

The utilisation differences between the hop type are based on various factors, not the least of which is different surface area available to the wort. (think in terms of coffee...coarse grind vs fine grind).
I don't see how the AA of the hops would effect the utilisation when comparing hops of the same alpha, but one is pellets (finely chopped, then comacted) to plugs (compacted, then chopped) to flowers (whole, obviously).

DKS...
software defaults are default for a reason...the numbers (which are similar in beersmith to promash, but using pellets as the default) aren't pulled off the top of the programmers head. ;)

Yep gotcha there

The utilisation differences between the hop type are based on various factors, not the least of which is different surface area available to the wort. (think in terms of coffee...coarse grind vs fine grind).

Yep makes sense

I don't see how the AA of the hops would effect the utilisation when comparing hops of the same alpha, but one is pellets (finely chopped, then comacted) to plugs (compacted, then chopped) to flowers (whole, obviously).

OK, Put simply makes sense, just more volume. 100gms is still 100gms at x %, pellets or flowers but flowers take up more space, yes?
I think the HB store guy may have confused me a bit with the technical text from the book he sus'd. :icon_cheers:
Daz

Is there a preference for pellets or flowers when First Wort Hopping? I'm keen to give it a try and have some NZ goldings flowers and some EKG pellets.

I'm keen to dry-hop with flowers but undecided what should go in FWH...

pellets store better but i love the flowers i got of wayne from beerbelly and i do the ole chiller trick and grind the flowers in a coffee grinder to a powder so its fine when in the kettle doenst suck up as much wort or block my pick up tube

Coffee Porter?

Back