Non-PC, former CAMRA

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quokka42

Reaction score
Ironically getting back into the more serious side of brewing after picking up a Beer Machine for SFA on Ebay! I know that will get a few groans, but it can actually be a good cheap delivery system for draught - so I can have a guilt-free beer or three at the end of a hot day.

Anyway, I am still at the kit & adjunct stage, though I am sure I will kit up to mash soon enough. Mashing was surprisingly easy in W.A. as the temperature wouldn't drop much, although it took a bit of bush mechanics to keep fermentation temperatures down.

I tried lagering years ago, but I struggled with slow fermentation, mould in the fridge, and getting down to lagering temperatures. I picked up an old wine fridge on ebay and have modified it with Peltiers so I can brew in summer, and I think I might be able to use it for lagering again when I get around to it.

I mostly brew British Ales - my best so far is based on what Tetley's ESB was apparently like in the middle of last century. A note to any dodgy Home Brew shops out there - we are going to know if you pass off inferior Goldings as EKG! My main drinking beer is Midlands style bitter - I let the alcohol fall where it will, usually 4-4.5% as trying to increase it messes with the flavour.

That should give you an idea of where I am at - I stumbled across this site looking for some tips on yeasts that are currently available, and also hope some of you are familiar with the new hops such as Ella.

Back