Hop Pellets Vs Plugs And Flowers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

altone

Reaction score
Just wondering if you highly skilled brewers can shed light on this subject.

I suspect there would be no/insignificant difference in flavour between pellets/plugs/flowers for bittering hops
But do you think there are significant advantages in the aromatic features
with plugs or flowers or is it more a purist thing.

I've only done 2 Allgrain brews so far , but with partials, tried pellets v plugs and couldn't say I noticed a difference.

Any opinions?

Fermenter1 Modified ESB kit Bavarian Lager
Fermenter2 Modified ESB kit Czech Pilsner
Fermenter3 Bostons Czech Pilsner
conditioner Scratch Extract Pilsner brew - recipe will be posted if good
Drinking Scratch Extract Vienna style lager - not good enough to post -but good enough to drink
Next brew Leftover Scottish ale

The freshest flowers and plugs have a greater aroma and flavour. I only use flowers and plugs if there are very fresh and have been stored well.
I now tend to use pellets for ease of use.

Yes, You cant beat fresh flowers but they do not store at all well.

Another negative of flowers is that they "suck-up" alot of wort.

cheers

Darren

The freshest flowers and plugs have a greater aroma and flavour. I only use flowers and plugs if there are very fresh and have been stored well.
I now tend to use pellets for ease of use.

So if you could get fresh flowers, you think it's worth the effort for the better aromatics?
I would love to brew the ultimate Pilsner and once I'm more experienced with Allgrain brewing I was thinking of running
dual brews - 1 using pellets and the other flowers, if I can get them, just to compare.

If anyone's already done all this, please post your results.

Ta

Fermenter1 Modified ESB kit Bavarian Lager
Fermenter2 Modified ESB kit Czech Pilsner
Fermenter3 Bostons Czech Pilsner
conditioner Scratch Extract Pilsner brew - recipe will be posted if good
Drinking Scratch Extract Vienna style lager - not good enough to post -but good enough to drink
Next brew Leftover Scottish ale

I find flowers are particularly good when uses as dry hops. They tend to float on the surface and really add a fresher aroma to the beer than you'd get with pellets.

In the kettle, they can be a bit of a pain in the ass. Especially if you're doing an imperial pilsner with the best part of 200g of flowers in the boil... :wacko:

I prefer plugs/flowers and agree with darren on the drawbacks he has stated. I do find I get clearer wort out of the kettle because although they tend to suck in an hold some wort they filter out the debris that you don't want in your fermenter.

I chorus with the above.
Pellet though are so much easier to store and keEp relative fresh as it is compressed AND EASY TO FREEZE IN AIR TIGHT CONTAINERS.
mATTI ;) ;)

Another negative of flowers is that they "suck-up" alot of wort.

How much is a lot? Do you need to adjust your batch size to make up for wort loss.... Been thinking about experimenting with some nice POR flowers and do half-boils, so wort loss could be a problem....

How much is a lot? Do you need to adjust your batch size to make up for wort loss.... Been thinking about experimenting with some nice POR flowers and do half-boils, so wort loss could be a problem....

Use a hop bag or sock & you can squeeze out all of the wort at the end of the boil.

cheers Ross

Use a hop bag or sock & you can squeeze out all of the wort at the end of the boil.

cheers Ross

Doesn't sound very sanitary Ross

squeeze.jpg

Batz :lol:

How long to plugs/flowers last in the frezzer compared to pellets?

Thanks

I don't think there is much difference if the are sealed and frozen, it is more when not stored in favourable conditions.

I still have some plugs I got in 2006..

QldKev

Plugs are good, they are just compressed flowers anyway so the only thing taken away is air.

And I think I might leave it there :p

Plugs are good, they are just compressed flowers anyway so the only thing taken away is air.

And I think I might leave it there :p

Plugs are great, I hate pellets, but sometimes you don't have any choice.
And I think I might leave it there too :ph34r: .

I've got to plug the plugs when stored and wrapped correctly.
While I am in plugging mode :ph34r: One of our sponsors plugs are fantastic

What's the difference in utilisation rates - ie.. do you get 'more' out of pellets than flowers?

Cheers -Mike

What's the difference in utilisation rates - ie.. do you get 'more' out of pellets than flowers?

Cheers -Mike

Yes, the utilisation is different. Software takes that into account, because you choose your hop type when adding it into the recipe.
eg. compared to flowers, promash will add 2% for plugs and 10% for pellets (as default).

Yes, the utilisation is different. Software takes that into account, because you choose your hop type when adding it into the recipe.
eg. compared to flowers, promash will add 2% for plugs and 10% for pellets (as default).

Cool- thanks for that. 10% I can handle! Just bough 1kg of Cascade ($53), so great deal!

Timely post as I bought some POR flowers today.Discussed this with LHB owner as I thought rule of thumb was twice as many grams of flowers in comparrison with pellets to give same result bitterness etc. Consulted a book which stated that the ratio lessens as the AA% goes higher. So a low AA% hop ,say 3-5% would be double and a higher one like POR at 8-9 % would be less than double (A sliding scale.) How much lower? I dont know but 10% seems a little low on those asuptions.
I dont have beersmith or promash and for my next brew. Im copying an existing recipe so in my case it doesnt matter for now but Id like to know for future or does everyone settle on the software defaults? :icon_cheers:
Daz.

Back