Hop pellets- In or Out?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bizenya

Reaction score
Hello

Maybe a silly question but after boiling hop pellets should they be strained out of the wort when transferring into the fermenter?

If they are left do they create any bad tastes??

Bizenya said:
Hello

Maybe a silly question but after boiling hop pellets should they be strained out of the wort when transferring into the fermenter?

If they are left do they create any bad tastes??
Generally you would try to leave as much behind in your kettle (or whatever) as possible and just get lovely clear wort into the fermenter.

Ok

Would it make an off taste if they are in still?

I hate leaving behind good beer behind in the boil kettle and usually put a fair bit of trub into the fermenter... some even makes it into the bottle if I've had too many when I'm bottling (especially when you've dry hopped into the fermenter. I've never tasted any off flavours either way.

If you're worried, you can boil your hops in a hop sock if you'd prefer - link.

Mate you'll be fine. Some hops might end up leaving some extra grassy flavours when in contact with the beer for extended periods of time, but I haven't had that happen yet and maybe if you were throwing hundreds of grams of hops into a brew then you might have a tonne of lost beer/ trub but otherwise it tends to settle pretty quick into the trub down the bottom.

To echo and expand on similar sentiments already expressed, you will be fine.

Try to use an agent such as Whirfloc or BrewBrite 10mins prior to flame out, then whirlpool the wort and let it stand for 10-mins or so to drop out "trub" (hop debris and other unwanted matter). After that, decant to either cube or fermentor.

Further trub will also settle out during fermentation.

All is good.

Cheers guys

I had a strange taste in the last brew and thought that this may have been the cause- must have been a slight infection instead

Just laid down the ol brown dog kit from coopers with 50g of Cascade into it, and thought hmmmmm

Thanks again for the replies!

Back