Hop Monster Ipa

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know of at least one thirsty person who'll be there :party:
Make that two! I'm just hoping it tastes as good in my mouth as it does in my mind.

Nick -- I like to dry hop with smaller amounts of hops because of the reason you mentioned -- too intense when the beer is still young. The problem is that I like to drink my IPAs and pale ales young, so having to wait sort of defeats the purpose. That said, yes it'll mellow out -- you may have to transfer off of the dry hops, though.

Bloody thing wont drop below 1.022. Have heated, swirled etc. Perhaps transferring to secondary will help it to drop a couple more points. Tastes good now and will be even better when it's dry hopped using your method of alternating hops CJ.

Ok, I've transferred it to secondary - tasting awesome although not bitter at all. I guess it'll come through more when it's gassed up in the future.

Question time. I'm about to dry hop it and plan on using all 3 hop varieties spaced out a few days apart for a total of 2 weeks, then inco CC for a few days and kegged. What sort of dry hopping schedule would you recommend CJ?

As a follow up to the previously dry hopped APA being too over the top, it's mellowed to a fraction of what it was (and I'd love to consider adding more!) so 20-30g was not too much. This one needs to have an even hoppier aroma so will be hitting it a lot heavier than the APA.

Cheers 'n' beers.

If you're going to dry hop for two weeks, I'd recommend either adding more hops every other day or every third day. For example:
Day 0 -- 3-5 grams each
Days 3, 6, 9, 12 -- same
Day 15 -- transfer

Or:
Day 0 -- 2-4 grams each
Days 2, 4, 6, 8. 10, 12 -- same
Day 15 -- transfer

Or, with either of those two schedules, add one more charge on Day 14/15 and leave it for another week. If you don't get great hop aroma out of that, your nose is shot!

One thing about dry hops is that they tend to fade fairly quickly. I've found, though, that "continuous" dry hopping gives an aroma (and associated flavor) that sticks around longer. At least that's been my non-systematic impression.

If this turns out as well as it sounds like it will, you'll have to brew it again a couple months before you head back here so we can do a side-by-side!

By the way, with very hoppy beers, 1.022 isn't all that high. The residual sweetness/maltiness is good for balancing the bitterness. That's probably part of the reason why you don't feel it's too bitter.

Thanks Chris, I'll follow your advice - I'll do an alternate day routine. Should I make a mix like before, or should I use a different variety of hop each day?

I have a feeling that with the higher mash temp I've simpoly achieved a much more dextrinous wort. I'm happy with what I've got so far.

As for getting a sample to you, I might be able to send some in a plastic drink bottle...

Thanks Chris, I'll follow your advice - I'll do an alternate day routine. Should I make a mix like before, or should I use a different variety of hop each day?

I have a feeling that with the higher mash temp I've simpoly achieved a much more dextrinous wort. I'm happy with what I've got so far.

As for getting a sample to you, I might be able to send some in a plastic drink bottle...

NRB,

I'd be making a mix like before, works great :) ...

Cheers Ross

Yeah, when you're dry hopping on alternative days, mixing up what you need plus five grams extra or so in a big bag beforehand makes it a lot easier. And, if you ever do it again, you'll get subtly different flavors because the specific hops you use will be different. Of course with all that hops in this beer, no one will probably be able to taste the difference, but you will know! ;)

Latest posts

Back