Hop Monster Ipa

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NRB

Reaction score
Ok, so it's time I did myself a highly hopped beer. This is a first for me inspired by several awesome IPAs recently. I'm going to use the hop mixing method whereby I'll weigh the 3 varieties and mix them all together. At each addition I'll add the appropriate mass of the mix.

What do you think of it?

Forget about the 5.95g, I upped the recipe using "lock ingredients to batch" and changed my efficiency and volumes. I'll aim for 6g each variety.

-----
Boarders' House IPA

A ProMash Recipe Report

BJCP Style and Style Guidelines
-------------------------------

14-B India Pale Ale, American IPA

Min OG: 1.056 Max OG: 1.075
Min IBU: 40 Max IBU: 72
Min Clr: 15 Max Clr: 39 Color in EBC

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (L): 25.00 Wort Size (L): 25.00
Total Grain (kg): 7.21
Anticipated OG: 1.062 Plato: 15.20
Anticipated EBC: 26.3
Anticipated IBU: 87.8
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70 %
Wort Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Formulas Used
-------------

Brewhouse Efficiency and Predicted Gravity based on Method #1, Potential Used.
Final Gravity Calculation Based on Points.
Hard Value of Sucrose applied. Value for recipe: 46.2100 ppppg
% Yield Type used in Gravity Prediction: Fine Grind Dry Basis.

Color Formula Used: Morey
Hop IBU Formula Used: Rager

Additional Utilization Used For Plug Hops: 2 %
Additional Utilization Used For Pellet Hops: 10 %
Additional Utilization Used For First Wort Hops: -10 %

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential EBC
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
84.9 6.12 kg. Bairds Golden Promise Pale Al UK 37.00 7
7.5 0.54 kg. Weyermann Carapils (Carafoam) Germany 37.00 3
3.8 0.27 kg. Crystal 55L Great Britian 34.00 145
3.8 0.27 kg. Crystal 65L (CaraVienna) Australia 34.00 158

Potential represented as Points per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
5.95 g. Centennial Pellet 9.40 3.5 30 min.
5.95 g. Cascade Pellet 6.70 2.5 30 min.
5.95 g. Amarillo Gold Pellet 8.40 3.2 30 min.
5.95 g. Centennial Pellet 9.40 2.8 25 min.
5.95 g. Cascade Pellet 6.70 2.0 25 min.
5.95 g. Amarillo Gold Pellet 8.40 2.5 25 min.
5.95 g. Centennial Pellet 9.40 2.3 20 min.
5.95 g. Cascade Pellet 6.70 1.7 20 min.
5.95 g. Amarillo Gold Pellet 8.40 2.1 20 min.
5.95 g. Centennial Pellet 9.40 1.9 15 min.
5.95 g. Cascade Pellet 6.70 1.3 15 min.
5.95 g. Amarillo Gold Pellet 8.40 1.7 15 min.
5.95 g. Centennial Pellet 9.40 1.4 10 min.
5.95 g. Cascade Pellet 6.70 1.0 10 min.
5.95 g. Amarillo Gold Pellet 8.40 1.2 10 min.
5.95 g. Centennial Pellet 9.40 1.2 5 min.
5.95 g. Cascade Pellet 6.70 0.8 5 min.
5.95 g. Amarillo Gold Pellet 8.40 1.0 5 min.
5.95 g. Centennial Pellet 9.40 0.0 0 min.
5.95 g. Cascade Pellet 6.70 0.0 0 min.
5.95 g. Amarillo Gold Pellet 8.40 0.0 0 min.
17.86 g. Centennial Pellet 9.40 20.6 First WH
17.86 g. Cascade Pellet 6.70 14.7 First WH
17.86 g. Amarillo Gold Pellet 8.40 18.4 First WH

Extras

Amount Name Type Time
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.19 Tbsp pH5.2 Stabiliser Other 0 Days(mash)
1.19 Tsp CaCL2 Other 0 Days(mash)
1.19 Tsp Gypsum Other 0 Days(boil)

Yeast
-----

WYeast 1335 British Ale II

Mash Schedule
-------------

Mash Type: Single Step

Grain kg: 7.21
Water Qts: 22.86 - Before Additional Infusions
Water L: 21.63 - Before Additional Infusions

L Water Per kg Grain: 3.00 - Before Additional Infusions

Saccharification Rest Temp : 68 Time: 90
Mash-out Rest Temp : 78 Time: 5
Sparge Temp : 77 Time: 30

Total Mash Volume L: 26.45 - Dough-In Infusion Only

All temperature measurements are degrees Celsius.

-----

Going to brew it up tomorrow night. :super:

GO NRB :super: ...

Looks nice :) Out of interest, where did you get caravienna from?

cheers Ross

It's not CaraVienna, but the closest I could get that was similar to it from what G&G informed me, is their Crystal 65. I based the recipe on CJ's Broken House IPA which called for several grains I can't get :(

I'm getting all excited about this and will be brewing with a bloke who wants to start out. Hope I don't get performance anxiety! :huh:

Nice hop choice :beerbang:

But I would scrap the FWHing and use them as dry hops.

Glad you like the selection I've gone for Jye. As for dropping FWH and dry hopping - I'm planning on dry hopping also, I've just not included it in the recipe. I've found FWH to add a reasonable amount of bitterness and am not convinced it actually adds flavour and aroma.

I recently tried "The Beast", an IPA from Jamieson brewery and really enjoyed it. I contacted the brewery and asked for some pointers and they recommended dry hopping in the keg with 30% more than the kettle amount... I don't think I'm going to dry hop that much; I'll determine the level when fermentation is complete.

:beerbang:

Is the 1335 a sub for the 1026 which CJ seems to prefer? Are you looking for sweetness from the yeast or a dry finish? Don't know about scrapping the FWH, would add some nice extra bite IMO. THEN add the same again for dry hopping.

(Whoops, too long in writing my post.)

Cheers.

Edit: Show me the way to Amarillo, ugh, ugh. Every night I'm hugging my pillow....and sweet Marie she waits for me....shalalalalalalala, ugh, ugh..

Duff, the 1335 is a cake I have sitting in a primary of a smaller IPA I did last week. I'm planning on transferring into a keg and running from the kettle straight into the fermenter. I'm not sure if I'll only harvest a cup or so, or whether I'll leave the lot, but am tempted to leave the lot and have the fermenter in a temp controlled fridge in order to keep a rising temperature from creating too many esters and fusels.

I would prefer a sweeter finish to balance the high level of hopping and I know the 1026 is good for that; unfortunately I don't have access to it. I've found the 1335 to yield a dry finish that is bordering on unacceptable to my palate. To combat this, I have carbonation low and drink the beer warm :ph34r:

Is the gravity high enough for that many IBUs do you think? I'd have thought around 1070-1075 for balance. I'll ask CJ to take a peak.

Duff, the 1335 is a cake I have sitting in a primary of a smaller IPA I did last week. I'm planning on transferring into a keg and running from the kettle straight into the fermenter. I'm not sure if I'll only harvest a cup or so, or whether I'll leave the lot, but am tempted to leave the lot and have the fermenter in a temp controlled fridge in order to keep a rising temperature from creating too many esters and fusels.

NRB,

You will only need a cup. If you use the whole lot I would recommend making absolutely sure your wort is about 2-3 degrees below normal ferment temp. It will go off like a bang otherwise. You will never cool before it is fermented.

cheers

Darren

Is the gravity high enough for that many IBUs do you think? I'd have thought around 1070-1075 for balance. I'll ask CJ to take a peak.

Probably not Steve, but it's an experimental. I usually run at 85% efficiency, but last time I brewed I came in disastrously low for 2 probable reasons - forgetting to add a grain and oversparging :( Looking back on it all, I'm pretty confident I forgot a grain addition last time and was drinking/talking when brewing. It was very late on a Friday night (read after 1am) when sparging... I'm expecting my efficiency to be back to 85% but have formulated a recipe at 70% to "see what happens" as it were.

You will only need a cup. If you use the whole lot I would recommend making absolutely sure your wort is about 2-3 degrees below normal ferment temp. It will go off like a bang otherwise. You will never cool before it is fermented.
Thanks Darren, I usually attach my temp probe to the wall of the fermenter so could set the temp lower. It'll be easier to ditch most of the cake and only use a cup or so. The current cake was a cup I harvested from the previous batch and stored in the fridge for a week. I pitched it without making a starter and the bloody thing took over 24 hours to fire up; I really don't want that to happen again! I will use less if that's what most would recommend.

I'd love your feedback Cj, if you're out there! :beer:

Boarders' House IPA
Min OG: 1.056 Max OG: 1.075
Min IBU: 40 Max IBU: 72
5.95 g. Centennial Pellet 9.40 3.5 30 min.
5.95 g. Cascade Pellet 6.70 2.5 30 min.
5.95 g. Amarillo Gold Pellet 8.40 3.2 30 min.
5.95 g. Centennial Pellet 9.40 2.8 25 min.
5.95 g. Cascade Pellet 6.70 2.0 25 min.
5.95 g. Amarillo Gold Pellet 8.40 2.5 25 min.
5.95 g. Centennial Pellet 9.40 2.3 20 min.
5.95 g. Cascade Pellet 6.70 1.7 20 min.
5.95 g. Amarillo Gold Pellet 8.40 2.1 20 min.
5.95 g. Centennial Pellet 9.40 1.9 15 min.
5.95 g. Cascade Pellet 6.70 1.3 15 min.
5.95 g. Amarillo Gold Pellet 8.40 1.7 15 min.
5.95 g. Centennial Pellet 9.40 1.4 10 min.
5.95 g. Cascade Pellet 6.70 1.0 10 min.
5.95 g. Amarillo Gold Pellet 8.40 1.2 10 min.
5.95 g. Centennial Pellet 9.40 1.2 5 min.
5.95 g. Cascade Pellet 6.70 0.8 5 min.
5.95 g. Amarillo Gold Pellet 8.40 1.0 5 min.
5.95 g. Centennial Pellet 9.40 0.0 0 min.
5.95 g. Cascade Pellet 6.70 0.0 0 min.
5.95 g. Amarillo Gold Pellet 8.40 0.0 0 min.
17.86 g. Centennial Pellet 9.40 20.6 First WH
17.86 g. Cascade Pellet 6.70 14.7 First WH
17.86 g. Amarillo Gold Pellet 8.40 18.4 First WH
WYeast 1335 British Ale II
Saccharification Rest Temp : 68 Time: 90
I just got back from a really shitty day, but Steve pointed me here so I had to check it out. I'm drooling! I wasn't going to have a beer, but I think I might just to christen this one!
I based the recipe on CJ's Broken House IPA which called for several grains I can't get.
Damn those people who use those complex grain bills! :super:
Is the 1335 a sub for the 1026 which CJ seems to prefer?
I'm still searching for the perfect (or even adequate) sub for 1026. I tried 1968, but wasn't satisfied at all. Next up is 1028 London Ale, and then 1335 London II. Luckily I still have four or five packs of 1026 left -- the last one gave me twelve 21-liter batches (by splitting the harvested yeast into two and using in two separate beers -- several times over).
I would prefer a sweeter finish to balance the high level of hopping and I know the 1026 is good for that; unfortunately I don't have access to it. I've found the 1335 to yield a dry finish that is bordering on unacceptable to my palate.
If you're worried about that, go up another degree in you mash temp to 69C. I usually mash at 67-68C and that works well, but I haven't used 1335 yet so I'm not sure how "bad" that might be.
Looking at the middle of the range for OG and IBUs, I think it'll be great. Remember that hop bursting like this yields a mellower bitterness, so even if the OG is a bit low and the IBUs are at the high end of the range, it'll still be very nice.
It'll be easier to ditch most of the cake and only use a cup or so. The current cake was a cup I harvested from the previous batch and stored in the fridge for a week. I pitched it without making a starter and the bloody thing took over 24 hours to fire up; I really don't want that to happen again! I will use less if that's what most would recommend.

I'd love your feedback Cj, if you're out there! :beer:
I'm here -- kind of dead, but here. If you're harvesting the yeast and using it a day or so later, a cup should be plenty. Again, though, if you're worried, go a little more than a cup 1.25 or even 1.5 and you'll still be fine.

I'm definitely going to be checking back to see how this one comes out.

Thanks for your input Chris. I'm about to weigh my grains and hops, fill the HLT and get stuck into some pre-brewing tucker. I'm aiming for that 69C saccharification temp.

Even if my efficiency goes back to the 'normal' 85%, I'm not going to dilute to reduce the OG, I'll just live with the bigger beer :D Damn, what a way to live! :party:

I just finished cleaning everything up, wort is chilled and settling. I'll transfer to a new fermenter in the morning after the debris has dropped out. OG 1.074 (18 Plato) which I'm quite happy with.

Time to hit the sack! :blink:

So did you leave it at 88IBU's?

Cheers.

Yeah, everything is as listed in the recipe, it's just that my efficiency was back to what it was. I'm now 100% satisfied in my reasoning in adding too little grain for my last beer on top of adding too much sparge water. I was very distracted during that session and it shows...

After all the work I put into it, I'm sad to admit that I forgot to flick a switch on my temperature controller! The ferment has hit 24C :( Hopefully it hasn't sat at that temperature for too long.. trying to bring it down now...

How's it working out now? I know how that temp-control oversight goes, only I don't have a switch to flick. I manually control fermentation temps using ice and old towels. If I'm not around all day after a brew, things can get out of control easily.

I think you'll be okay, though -- with all those hops, any flaws will be covered up completely! I'm expecting serious tasting notes when you transfer.

As an aside, I just transferred my latest IPA/JPA -- 11 liters went into a keg that will be force carbed and enjoyed in a few weeks. Another 9 liters went into a keg that I primed and dry hopped. It'll be served Real Ale style at a party on May 5th, with gravity feed (no CO2 bottle at all). I just hope there's a lot of thirsty people at the party so we can finish it all off!

As an aside, I just transferred my latest IPA/JPA -- 11 liters went into a keg that will be force carbed and enjoyed in a few weeks. Another 9 liters went into a keg that I primed and dry hopped. It'll be served Real Ale style at a party on May 5th, with gravity feed (no CO2 bottle at all). I just hope there's a lot of thirsty people at the party so we can finish it all off!

I know of at least one thirsty person who'll be there :party:

CJ it's dropped back to 19C and seems to have had the krausen fall. I took a gravity reading, but it's still at 1.030 so has a way to go (as one would expect, it's only had yeast in it for 3 days)... perhaps dropping the temp quickly with bottles of ice around it has cause sleepiness in my yeast.

I've given it a swirl and set my temperature at 20C.

On a side note, I dry hopped a non-aromatic APA with an amarillo/centennial mix (10-15g each) in a serving keg 2 days ago using one of those stainless tea strainer balls and have dryhopped a secondary of JPA with 24g centennial also. I tried the kegged beer and am wondering if I've overdone it. It's almost a sweet spicyness that's dominating the beer now; hopefully it'll become more subdued/mellow as it ages.

There will be follow up posts as time goes on Chris, you can count on it.

Latest posts

Back