Hop matter in keg

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IsonAd

Reaction score
I'm reasonably new to kegging and am struggling to stop hop floaties. I recently kegged an ipa that dry hopped (nude) in Secondary (not excessive ~60g), cold crashed for about a week then transfered via fermenter bung to the keg. I was trying to be careful at the end of the transfer not to pick up trube and hops but must have picked up a fair bit because after 2 weeks in the keg and about 6 pints down I'm still getting hop floaties in my beer.

So what's the secret to stopping that?

Whole hops or pellets?
Using gelatine?
How long are you cold crashing for at what temp?
I recently kegged a pale ale with 20g dry hops (pellets) cold crashed to 2c for 3days and all the hops fell out. I haven't used gelatine but hear it's the goods for clearing beer.

Do a batch 3 - 5L higher and you won't risk getting floating hops transferred to your keg. The extra litres can be bottled

(that, or skip the hopping in secondary and hop in the keg instead, via a stainless hop ball or disposable tea bags)

Pellets for dry hopping. I cold crashed for about a week at about 1C, usually only do a couple of days but I was lazy. Haven't gelatined when kegging yet.

Latest posts

Back