Hop Identification?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fermented

I have the body of a god: Buddha.
Reaction score
'Evening!

I have a couple of bags of hops in my freezer. I know one is EKG and the other is Pilgrim.

However, the labels have worn off.

Given the large-ish difference in AA% and flavour, let alone Pilgrim really only being good for bittering, I'm keen not to brew an odd tasting batch as a result of wrong hops.

Is there any way to identify which is which? They look rather the same and it's hard to discern a difference in odour...

Any hints would be well appreciated.

Cheers - Fermented.

My only suggestion is to make two very small batches of beer with each hop for a side by side taste?

This seems a waste of effort though... is anyone local familiar with EKG inparticular?

Can you get your hands on another batch of either of these hops so you have a control sample for a smell comparison?

If, as you say, there is a huge AA% difference - could you tell the difference if you made a little hop tea in a cup out of a pellet or two of each?

Fermented,

A bit hard to help with descriptives. Either purchase another packet of your prefered hop so you can compare, or if you have a good shop locally, they should be able to help you. Otherwise, happy to identify if you want to send a sample in the mail.

cheers Ross

Chuck'em out and buy some new hops, cheap as ATM

Batz

Thanks guys!

Shall take 'em to my LHBS for ID as the total weight is about 300 - 400gm and would prefer not to waste it.

Cheers - Fermented.

Fermented,

A bit hard to help with descriptives. Either purchase another packet of your prefered hop so you can compare, or if you have a good shop locally, they should be able to help you. Otherwise, happy to identify if you want to send a sample in the mail.

cheers Ross

My God Ross , How do you do that , I have visions of one flower up each nostril and a blindfold so you dont see the colour.

Impressive

Pumpy :eek:

My God Ross , How do you do that , I have visions of one flower up each nostril and a blindfold so you dont see the colour.

Impressive

Pumpy :eek:

Pumpy, when you live & breathe them daily it's not too hard B)

cheers Ross

Haven't done this myself, but could be worth a try.

I've heard of people sticking one hop pellet into a bottle of beer, re capping, and then drinking a week later. You could do this to something light and tasteless, like Corona or something, and see how you go. I have no idea what Pilgrim tastes like, but out of the two, the one that tastes better should in theory be EKG.

Once again, haven't done this myself, but for 400gm of hops might be worth a go.

Cheers,
Thommo.

Break up the pellet, plug or flower and rub it between your hands. You'll really pick up the aroma well. May not help though unless you're used to the aroma of one of the hops and can pick it.

I'll have a crack at the tea method and the rubbing method too.

The Pilgrim is 10.8%, so should have more taste in the tea.

I *think* I can identify EKG's scent if it's warmed and rubbed so will give it a go.

Moral of the story is to use better labelling... :)

Cheers - Fermented.

Latest posts

Back