Hop Hog Extract Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pratty1 said:
Go ahead and add the dry hops, the hops will rouse the yeast cake and finish ferment. Also raise your temp to 21c if your controlling temp.
What does raising the temp do?

The flavour compounds of the beer from the yeast fermentation are created within the first 72hrs which is why keeping the temp constant during initial ferment is very important. To increase the temp a few degree will make the yeast stay active and finish the job.

What temp are you at?

Hadn't heard of this beer so picked up a 4 pack today. Great drop! I'm a fan of Fat Yak but this kicks it where it hurts. Will certainly look to brew a batch of this recipe prior to winter.

I've tried this in the spreadsheet. Black Rock unmalted extracts come in 1.7kg tins Extra Light and Wheat look the go. This comes out as bang on 5.8% in the bottle according to the spreadsheet. 47.2 IBU and 9.9 EBC I ran out of room on the spreadsheet. But I'd dry hop Cascade and Amarillo too.

I'll have to give it a whirl.

Hop Hog clone.JPG

This seems to have settled at 1015 for the last couple of days which is pretty good since it started at 1060.
I'm going to crash chill for the first time .
From what I've read this is just turning the temp down to around 2degrees for about 2 days days to drop the sediment out before kegging??

Hi everyone, I'm new at this, in fact my first brew is ready to bottle tomorrow (I think!!? SG seems stable at 1010)
I tried the Hop Hog recently, and.... Yummmm! This is certainly a beer Im going to have to try!
I wasn't sure where to ask a newbie question, so I thought here was as good as any.
For my first brew, I didn't want to use the Mangrove Jack Blonde Lager included in the brew kit as this is not my preferred style of beer. I prefer an Ale!
So I bought a Coopers Original Pale Ale as a cheap option for a first brew and hopefully, it will turn out OK.

I'm planning to have a go at a Little Creatures Pale Ale recipe for my next brew and the ingredients ask for a Black Rock Pilsner Blonde.
My question to you all is, would the Mangrove Jack Blonde Lager do instead of the Pilsner Blonde? I have all the other ingredients.
After the read of the above HH, I'm thinking it will be a contender for my third or fourth brew! I really enjoyed the real deal!
Any advice appreciated.

So I have actually got around to put down this all extract recipe.

1.7 kg Black Rock Unhopped Ultra light malt Extract
1.7kg Black Rock Unhopped Wheat Extract

500g light DME

200g Carapils
50g Caramunich 1

HOPS

Wt in Grams

%AA

BOIL min

Centennial

Cascade

Amarillo

Centennial

Cascade

Amarillo

Cascade

Centennial

US 05 yeast

Est OG 1.055

ABV est 5.8 - 6.2 in bottle for bet. 75% and 81% attenuation

Mattrox said:
So I have actually got around to put down this all extract recipe.

1.7 kg Black Rock Unhopped Ultra light malt Extract
1.7kg Black Rock Unhopped Wheat Extract

500g light DME

200g Carapils
50g Caramunich 1
HOPS Wt in Grams %AA BOIL min Centennial 20 9.7 45 Cascade 25 7.8 45 Amarillo 20 8.9 15 Centennial 15 9.7 15 Cascade 20 7.8 15 Amarillo 20 8.9 5 Cascade 20 7.8 5 Centennial 15 9.7 5

US 05 yeast

Est OG 1.055

ABV est 5.8 - 6.2 in bottle for bet. 75% and 81% attenuation
I am drinking thos now. When I dry hopped I didn't add enough hops. The grains are not what the packet said they are..... so the maltiness and mouth feel is nothing like hop hog.

However, after a couple of weeks it decidedly reminds me of dead guy ale!

WWDWD said:
Not too difficult... but I did a few brews to work my way up to this one. This is my 7th brew. I would try a new or more advanced technique with each brew. My first few were shockers but I learned a whole lot from them.

INGREDIENTS
1.5kg Coopers Light Malt tin
1.5kg Coopers Wheat Malt tin
700g Light Dry Malt
150g Crystal grains steeped
60g Centennial
60g Citra
30g Galaxy
US-05

METHOD

1. Steep cracked Medium Crystal Grain for 30mins in 1.5L of 70C water

2. Add grain liquid to a bigger pot, top it up to 6L and mixed in 700g Light DME. Bring to the boil and add the following hop additions.

10g galaxy @ 60 mins

20g centennial @ 10 mins
20g citra @ 10 mins
10g galaxy @ 10 mins

20g centennial @ 5 mins
20g citra @ 5 mins
10g galaxy @ 5 mins

3. Let wort cool for 20mins. Add to fermenter. Add liquid light malt and liquid wheat malt plus cool water to bring up to 21L and roughly 20C- 22C

4. Give it a good stir for a minute then sprinkle the yeast on top.

5. Ferment at 18c for 7 days/

6. Dry hop on Day 8 with

20g centennial @ dryhop
20g citra @ dryhop

7. Drop it down to 3C on about day12

8. Bulk prime with 135g dextrose on the day 14 and bottle

Actual OG was 1.050 and FG was 1.011
ABV about 5.7%

It's only been in the bottle one week so it'll no doubt improve. It is really easy to drink though. If you make it, please report back here with any changes to the recipe you make and any ideas on improving it further.
This has been one fantasic thread! Thnaks for starting it WWDWD!

I'm going to try this over the weekend but have a few questions please.

1) Did you use normal tap water or was it filtered?
2) Why not add the LME to the boil?
3) How did you cool the wort and to what temp prior to adding to the fermenter
4) Do you suggest adding Irish Moss 5mins before you take it off the boil?
5) How did you manage to get it down to 3 degrees on day 12?

Really looking forward to trying this one out!
cheers

I'm up to rev 3 of this brew and I think it's my best one yet

Hopocalypse now4 - a new hope

2x 1.5 coopers light malt tins
1.5 coopers wheat tin
70g of dextrose as it was kicking around in the brew box
300g medium crystal

Grains for 30 mins in 1.5l of 70°c water in the Thermomix

Strain and then add 5 l of water to the pot. Add about 500g of the lme and the dextrose and bring to the boil

15g magnum (AA 8.4%) @ 60 mins
10g magnum @ 30 mins

20g cascade
10g citra
10g galaxy
10g simcoe all in at 10 mins

Same hops again at 5 mins

Allow wort to cool for about 10 mins
Ice bath in the laundry sink to further cool

Tip it all into the fv and aerate well then make up to 23litres
Og of 1063. Fg of 1014
Us-05 pitched at 23°
Into the fermenting fridge at 18° and left for 2 weeks.
Cold crash for 3 days at 1°

Bulk primed with 170g dextrose for bottling.

The change is the magnum this time and it's really smoothed it out compared to 15g Amarillo @60 mins I have used before.

I plan on doing WWDWD's recipe this weekend but doing a full extract boil, using my wort chiller to get it to ferment temp quickly any suggestions in timming of adding LME and DME would be appreciated

WWDWD said:
I wanna have a go at making a Hop Hog clone. Here’s my recipe so far (made with the help of Ian’s spreadsheet). Only my 6th or 7th brew… so please, any comments or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Wet Dogz' Hop Hog

1.5kg Light LME
1.5kg Wheat LME
500g LDME
400g Crystal grain
US05 yeast

20g Centennial @ 60mins

30g Centennial @ 5mins
30g Galaxy @ 5mins
30g Citra @ 5mins

20g Centennial dryhop
20g Galaxy dryhop
20g Citra dryhop

Boil: 4l
Final volume: 21l
Fermentation temp 18°C

IBU 47.7 vs. Hop Hog 48
ABV 5.9% vs. Hop Hog 5.8%
EBC 12 (perhaps a little light, but I’m cool with that… anyone know what hop hog is?)
i plan on doing this next weekend. i am moving up to a full boil extract volume. i have my 75,000 btu burner turning up this week.

what (if anything) would i have to change.... any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated

spookus13b said:
i plan on doing this next weekend. i am moving up to a full boil extract volume. i have my 75,000 btu burner turning up this week.

what (if anything) would i have to change.... any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated
One thought would be because it's a new toy, you won't know the evaporation rate to get to 21L. If it boils lower than that you can add water, but if it doesn't boil off enough, you will be stuck with lower OG and hop utilisation.

I'm a bit curious about the wheat LME.
I've never used this before and just wondering if it is actually known that hop hog has wheat in it or if it is just a bit of a (educated) guess??

Gday guys
Just joined up cos i loved the look of this recipe.
So ive got it brewing right now( day 10 in fermenter) but all the action seems to have stopped at 1.020.
Ive upped the ingredients to make 23l...
1.7kg black rock light pale LME
1.7kg black rock wheat LME
1kg DME
250g crystal
Then upped the hops also to match.
O.G. 1.064
Any thoughts on my final gravity?
Cheers

Whoops should have added that
US-05 at 18-19°.
It reached 1.020 after about 6 days

elreecey said:
Whoops should have added that
US-05 at 18-19°.
It reached 1.020 after about 6 days
Don't be scared to bump the temp up to ~22oC to try and get the yeast going again. I'd be expecting it to get down to the mid teens.
The vast majority of fermentation is done, so the chance of off-flavours from the higher temp are slim to nil. You can even give the fermenter a gentle swirl to rouse the yeast when you raise the temp (just don't slosh the beer while you do it, or you'll start oxidizing it).

Latest posts

Back