Hop Filtering?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In my experience you get reduced hop utilisation using stockings because the hops tend (aspecially pellets) to be constricted by the elasticity of the stocking and form a big lump with a reduced area of contact to the wort. A grain bag or a home made one like Ross uses seems to be more efficient because the hops don't clump up as much and have a greater exposure to the wort.

RobW said:
In my experience you get reduced hop utilisation using stockings because the hops tend (aspecially pellets) to be constricted by the elasticity of the stocking and form a big lump with a reduced area of contact to the wort. A grain bag or a home made one like Ross uses seems to be more efficient because the hops don't clump up as much and have a greater exposure to the wort.
[post="96013"][/post]​

I agree - stockings maybe easy to use, but do not make good hop bags. Take the trouble to have some proper ones made up. Took my wife all of 10 mins to knock one up on the sewing machine...

cheers Ross

I don't have anyproblems using stockings. I just make sure the pellets are really loose. I'm not putting any extra hops in to compensate.

Oh yes, I forgot to mention - if you make a cheesecloth or muslin bag for dry hopping, The cloth needs to be boiled and dried first.

Don't attempt to fill and tie a wet cloth bag.

I only use the coffee plunger for dry hopping now, but I make bags for the boil.

Latest posts

Back