Hop Filtering?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peas_and_corn

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I cannot mash that
Reaction score
OK, now I have a little conundrum to sort out. My brewing setup isn't quite near completion and until this happens, I am using a large pot to do the boils in. From there the wort is poured into the fermenter. However- how would I be able to filter out the hops I add during the boil? From what I gather, it's bad to leave them in (correct me if i'm wrong here), so how would I ba able to filter the hops out?

Cheers,

Dave

I'm with Wortgames; whirlpool and syphon it out leaving the trub/hops behind.

Hmm... but the hops are pretty light and floating in the liquid- I don't think it would be advised to wait for it all to settle out and then syphon; that'll take a long time

Run it thru a GMK In-Line Filter...

But i know some people who just pour it all in and rack on the 3rd day - to leave it all behind when it settles.

Hope this helps

peas_and_korn said:
Hmm... but the hops are pretty light and floating in the liquid- I don't think it would be advised to wait for it all to settle out and then syphon; that'll take a long time

After whirlpooling you should leave it 20 minutes to settle. After this time there'll be a nice cone of hops sitting in the middle of your brewpot. Syphon from the side of the pot and you'll be fine.

20 minutes is not a long time. I'm not sure how you're cooling your wort, but if you whirlpool prior to putting the pot in a waterbath, you'll be cooling and settling the hops at the same time.

I use a CFWC, but whirlpool and let settle for 20 minutes prior to starting the chilling/draining process.

peas and korn. I've had that problem too.

I was bottling from primary at the time, and had dry hopped. Hop pellet particles were blocking my bottle filler. I had to take the spring out, so then of course it dripped between bottles.

Whirlpooling doesn't seem to work for me. I don't siphon. Just pour from pot into fermenter.

A coffee plunger is good for dry hopping.

For boiling I make up a little bag for each hop addition. Use cheesecloth or muslin. Tie well and trim off the excess.

Expect hop pellets to swell about 5 times their volume and pressed flowers about 10 times their volume. Give them plenty of room. The bags float. Just pick them up with your spoon to dispose. Don't try to squeeze. It'll spray anywhere.

You can buy a hop bag from some HBS's. A drawstring calico bag with a nylon mesh or silkscreen bottom.

I once tried straining through a piece of muslin in a large strainer. The muslin quickly got clogged by the hop particles, and wouldn't allow wort to pass through. I had to sanitize the rubber gloves, pick the muslin up by the corners, and twist to make a big wet ball of muslin - that unbelievably was still only dripping. If squeezed, it would emit little fine sprays in all directions. I found that by holding it firmly at the top, and twisting to spin it back and forth laterally, loosened and agitated the particles and allowed the wort to run through. I always made muslin bags since then.

About your current beer. If you are racking to secondary it's cool. Most of the substantial amount of hop residue will be buried in your yeast trub. The stuff floating will either be encrusted to the side of the fermenter, or will cling to the side as it drains.

My hop bags are made from nylon net curtain material. Took my wife all of 10 mins to knock them up on the sewing machine...

wouldn't be without them....

My hop bags are made from nylon net curtain material.

After seeing Ross use these on Saturday and then doing a double brew yesterday using the Whirlpooling method I am making some of these bags. It will also allow you to leave less in the kettle.

To Ross and Others using hop bags.

What hop utilisation setting do you use in either Beersmith or Promash for pellet hops in a hop bag?

Thanks

Will

NRB said:
peas_and_korn said:

After whirlpooling you should leave it 20 minutes to settle. After this time there'll be a nice cone of hops sitting in the middle of your brewpot. Syphon from the side of the pot and you'll be fine.

20 minutes is not a long time. I'm not sure how you're cooling your wort, but if you whirlpool prior to putting the pot in a waterbath, you'll be cooling and settling the hops at the same time.

I use a CFWC, but whirlpool and let settle for 20 minutes prior to starting the chilling/draining process.
[post="95456"][/post]​

Ditto!
I do this as well , 20 minute whilpool ...same same
Never had a problem with hops or hot break in my fermenter

I do use a Batz inline filter , never much to collect.

Batz

kungy said:
To Ross and Others using hop bags.

What hop utilisation setting do you use in either Beersmith or Promash for pellet hops in a hop bag?

Thanks

Will
[post="95648"][/post]​

Kungy,

I don't adjust anything for using a hop bag - with the fact that I don't have to worry about hops sticking to the edge of the fermenter as the level recedes, I reckon utilisation is every bit as good as using loose... Just make sure your bags have ample room for the hops to move freely...

yeah right Batz - must be the new, improved GMK in-line filter mark II

:)

GMK said:
yeah right Batz - must be the new, improved GMK in-line filter mark II

[post="95662"][/post]​

:lol: THANKYOU Kenny :lol:

It must have taken me 3-4 weeks to get a bite out of you mate !

I knew the old Batz inline filter would do it !

For those who don't know , the inline filter was GMK's idea , Batz just improved it :lol:

Cheers Kenny :p Your OK !

Batz

how did you improve on a most excellant original idea batz. :D

big d said:
how did you improve on a most excellant original idea batz. :D
[post="95667"][/post]​

I connected a hose to it big d , I ran the wort through it and straight into the fermenter.

This in place of holding the inline filter over the fermenter and tipping the wort through it with a bucket :blink:

Batz :ph34r:

Put your hops in the legs of stockings.

Boil the stockings first, a couple of times to get the colour out of them.

Make sure the hops is loose in the leg, so it can move around. then tie it up.

You can get about two bags per leg.

Easy.

You're a horrible shit stirrer batz.

Keep up the good work mate :)

My kettle (which I inherited from Asher) features a small fine stainless mesh, rolled into a cylinder, then stuck into the outlet. This acts as both a strainer and pick-up tube, and works quite well. I believe the mesh is a diffusion mat as used in camping stoves.

ibast said:
Put your hops in the legs of stockings.

Boil the stockings first, a couple of times to get the colour out of them.

Make sure the hops is loose in the leg, so it can move around. then tie it up.

You can get about two bags per leg.

Easy.
[post="95727"][/post]​

Sounds like an easy method! I'll give that a try next time

Latest posts

Back