Hop Additions

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

65bellett

Reaction score
I have been going through a few recipes which I really want to make. So far I have avoided these recipes because there are a few terms that I am not quite sure about. I apologise in advance if these questions have been asked before, I have had a crack with search and was unable to find what I was looking for.

My first question is about FWH. By doing some investigation I have found that this stands for First Wort Hops. When a recipe asks for First Wort Hops do you put them in your brew kettle as soon as you have finished the sparge while the kettle is warming up to a boil? The other thing that I have not been able to nut out is when a recipe asks for a hop addition at 0 minutes, Do you add the hops and then turn off your heat sourceand begin your cooling process. If this is the case how does this apply to using the "No Chill Method"?

Thanks in advance for your help.

65B

First Wort Hops - put them in the kettle and run off the wort from the mash tun onto them.

0 minute additions - just as you say, put them in at the end of the boil. As a no-chill brewer, you can put the hops into the cube and rack the hot wort into the cube on to them.

There's an interesting post here that says not to ever do a first wort hop. Seems to know what he's talking about!

Back