Hop Additions / Yeast For Amber Ale Fresh Wort

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bulldog_y2k6

Reaction score
Upon some recent advice and another thread on Fresh wort, i have decided to use a Fresh wort for my next brew. The one i want to use is ESB Amber Ale fresh wort. I will make it up to 19 litres, i believe i should be able to keep temp at around 20-22. what would be a good hop addition?? And what would be the best yeast to use??

Cheers

Bulldog

Upon some recent advice and another thread on Fresh wort, i have decided to use a Fresh wort for my next brew. The one i want to use is ESB Amber Ale fresh wort. I will make it up to 19 litres, i believe i should be able to keep temp at around 20-22. what would be a good hop addition?? And what would be the best yeast to use??

Cheers

Bulldog

There are too many to recommend. Didn't you get a yeast with the wort kit ? Most come supplied with one.

If not, where you likely to buy a yeast from ? Your local HBS or get one mailed to you from an on line supplier ? The former may have a limited range to choose from, the latter has a very large range that makes final selection suck.

There are too many to recommend. Didn't you get a yeast with the wort kit ? Most come supplied with one.

If not, where you likely to buy a yeast from ? Your local HBS or get one mailed to you from an on line supplier ? The former may have a limited range to choose from, the latter has a very large range that makes final selection suck.

Havent bought wort kit yet, will buy from hbs in Perth, most likely Malthouse, as thats where the wort kit will be bought. I read some reviews on a kit review site that i found through this forum, most people opted to get rid of the ale yeast that came with, and used a liquid yeast instead. I am new to all this and the yeast seems like the most important decision for each brew

The blurb on their site suggests two british liquid yeasts, and says it comes with safale, which will mean s04 as it is clearly intened to be a british ale kit.
As such, unless you really want to go liquid, I'd see no reason not to use the kit yeast as s04 is a good choice for english ales. Windsor particularly or Nottingham would be dried options also. ESB recommends WLP002 English Ale or WLP005 British ale but you could go almost anything that is a british ale yeast, Burton ale etc etc
For hop additions anything English really.
Fuggles/Goldings are the classics and I would guess that this kit is made with one or both of these but I could be wrong. I'm a big fan of Bramling Cross and First Gold myself...

The blurb on their site suggests two british liquid yeasts, and says it comes with safale, which will mean s04 as it is clearly intened to be a british ale kit.
As such, unless you really want to go liquid, I'd see no reason not to use the kit yeast as s04 is a good choice for english ales. Windsor particularly or Nottingham would be dried options also. ESB recommends WLP002 English Ale or WLP005 British ale but you could go almost anything that is a british ale yeast, Burton ale etc etc
For hop additions anything English really.
Fuggles/Goldings are the classics and I would guess that this kit is made with one or both of these but I could be wrong. I'm a big fan of Bramling Cross and First Gold myself...

bconnery

Thanks for your help, i will try one of the liquid yeasts you suggested, i have looked at the websites of the various stores i go and they dont stock Bramling Cross or First Gold, where would i find these??

Cheers
Bulldog

bconnery

Thanks for your help, i will try one of the liquid yeasts you suggested, i have looked at the websites of the various stores i go and they dont stock Bramling Cross or First Gold, where would i find these??

Cheers
Bulldog

i'm in sydney and i haven't seen this kit in stock in any of the HBS i have gone to recently. It's probably best to call ahead and make sure they have the Amber Ale Fresh Wort Kit in stock before you head too far down this path.

bconnery

Cheers
Bulldog
The site sponsors should stock them. I buy from Ross at craftbrewer myself.
If you are going to go down the liquid path it is worth a visit to the site of the type you prefer as they both stock a big range of enlgish ale yeasts and you might want to read about the characteristics they give. Those suggestions came from ESB themselves, but that could be just because they are two of the most common liquid english ale yeasts, rather than them being the best choice...
I would stress as well that s04 and Windsor particularly are both excellent choices for an english ale. Liquid yeasts are great but the dry option won't let you down either in this case.

Latest posts

Back