Hop addition to Scotch ale.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheKernalWixen

Reaction score
I currently have made my first scotch ale and have added Willamette hops to the fermenter, This time I boiled 1 liter of water to 70C and added my 50g of Willamette for 15mins at a constant 70C. Main reasoning behind this is I wasn't after any additional bittering and mainly after aroma as Willamette is an aroma hop. I added this first to my fermenter and topped up to 3 liters with cold water then added my scotch ale brew and stirred the hell out of it while slowly bringing up to final volume of 21 litres, allowed to cool and pitched my yeast. Has anyone else tried this method? I all so plan on dry hopping at 2 weeks with 50g of Golding's.

Kit or extract brew?

Depending on your perspective on scotch type ales, dry hopping might be out of place.

Modern take for wee heavy (presuming that's what you mean) is strong, sweet, full and low hopped. My understanding is that while that perspective is delicious ( drinking one right now) it's also historically inaccurate so it boils down to what you're aiming for.

Personally I wouldn't be doing any more dry hopping
Wee heavies are all about that sweet malt

I enjoy a hoppy beer and i know that red hill add two types of hops to their scotch ale. Like i said I'm only using aroma hops. 100g in total that will be kegged and stored.

manticle said:
Kit or extract brew?

Depending on your perspective on scotch type ales, dry hopping might be out of place.

Modern take for wee heavy (presuming that's what you mean) is strong, sweet, full and low hopped. My understanding is that while that perspective is delicious ( drinking one right now) it's also historically inaccurate so it boils down to what you're aiming for.
I only used 1 can of morgan's royal amber and 2kgs of dry light malt. all the rest was grain.

manticle said:
Is royal amber pre hopped or pure extract?
its pre hopped with i dont know and how much is another question. very limited information on the label.

sp0rk said:
Personally I wouldn't be doing any more dry hopping
Wee heavies are all about that sweet malt
agreed but i'm a hop head. hopefully its not to overwhelming but it is a aroma hop.

Kernal said:
agreed but i'm a hop head. hopefully its not to overwhelming but it is a aroma hop.
Learn to love the styles for what they are
Trust me, it'll serve you well when you're out drinking and can't find something that's your usual style

Slightly OT - but Willamette is a fantastic hop for those low hop British Beers. Made some very good Bitters with it, and they do well as dry hoppers in small doses.

But agreed, slightly out of style for Scottish Ales.

FWIW, your process seems slightly similar to a technique many use for whirlpool additions.
As well as other additions at other times/temps, a lot of brewers using chilling methods (counterflow, immersion) to drop the wort down to <80°C after stopping the boil and then add & steep copious quantities of hops - so that they maximise the aroma/flavour impact but get virtually not Alpha Acid bitterness. Some drop it to <70°C or <60°C to reduce to volatilisation of the hops oils also.
Typically done for APAs, IPAs & DIPAs, etc where you want the hops flavour & aroma to dwarf the malts.

Keep in mind you may also get bitterness or astringency from other (water soluble) compounds in the hops, like polyphenols. Using water rather than wort, like you've done, *may* increase the extraction of these compounds so you *may* notice this bitter astringency a little in the finished beer. Or not.

Lord Raja Goomba I said:
Slightly OT - but Willamette is a fantastic hop for those low hop British Beers. Made some very good Bitters with it, and they do well as dry hoppers in small doses.

But agreed, slightly out of style for Scottish Ales.
Like i said it's my first attempt and it may not be to true scotch ale style with the 50g hop addition but who knows could be a winner... any ways i'm kegging my version of the holgate hopinator with 180g of hops so i'm tipping it wont be as challenging, only stronger in alcohol content....

sp0rk said:
Learn to love the styles for what they are
Trust me, it'll serve you well when you're out drinking and can't find something that's your usual style
i did a tasting out in my bar with various scotch ales and red hills scotch ale was my favorite out of the 3 l could find at my local dan murphy's with grand ridge moonshine second and belhaven's third

50g dry hop with these should do the trick,
image.jpeg
...tried a Red Hill Scotch Ale on the way home the other day, nice beer

my scotch ale recipe as follows.

2kg of light DME dissolved in 3 liters of boiled water
1.7kg of Morgan's royal oak amber ale LME added to boil with addition of 1 litre of boiled water

200 grams Amber Malt (Bairds)
300 grams Chocolate Malt (Bairds)
200 grams Carafa® Special T2 Malt (Weyermann®)
200 grams Crystal Malt Medium (Bairds)
200 grams Smoked Malt (Weyermann®)
All grains were milled and added to a BIAB and mashed at 70C with an other addition of 1 litre of water
Mash then placed into oven at 65C for 90min on base heat setting
50g Willamette hops added to 1 liter of 70c water for 15 mins

Hops added to fermeter first with 2 liters of water
Mash removed from oven and mash added to fermeter
BIAB hung for period of 20 mins in total draining off any excess that was rinsed into stock pot
Final contents added to fermeter and final volume topped up to 21 liters
allowed to cool and pitched with Mangrove Jacks M15 empire ale yeast

That thistle beer actually looks nice:)

Back