Honey

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdsaint

Reaction score
As anyone attempted to brew kk's with honey?
The reason I ask is at energy australia stadium they sell hunter draught on tap, which in the bottle was crap, but out of a keg it has a hint of honey which was nice. Is this just the malt I can taste or can I sweeten a brew with honey?

If anyone has a nice kit n extract recipe for a honey wheat ale or ideas let me know...

From what I've read you can replace the suggested 1kg of brewing sugar with 1.5kg of honey and achieve the same alcohol volume. I've never done it myself, but I'd probably try adding 300g or less to start with just to see how it turns out. Hope that wasn't useless :S

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...02&hl=honey that might help a bit.... I have only ever experimented with honey once and I would have to say I don't think I would bother again. I do like beez neez tho and love honey, but not enough to make 23L of beer that tastes like it (sickly IMHO). If you do want to try some sort of honey brew I would not cheap out on the honey and I think you need floral sort of honey not gum stuff. Eucaliptus honey has, I cant even describe the taste but gum tree sap seems to come to mind, when its fermented. Also its one of those things that causes bottle bombs so check fermentation is complete before bottling kegging ect. But anyway if you give it a go post up a review I would be interested what you can brew with honey.

G'day JD,

I detect that flavour in the Hunter Old, too. Reminds me of the days when Tooheys Old had the same flavour, on tap. No longer, tho'.

I'm fairly certain that it's not really honey, and don't try to emulate it with golden syrup either, or it'll go real bad.

I'll check into it and get back to you, but maybe if you can get some sort of "honey malt"?

As for Eucalyptus honey, can you say "cough lolly" beer?

Les

G'day JD,

I detect that flavour in the Hunter Old, too. Reminds me of the days when Tooheys Old had the same flavour, on tap. No longer, tho'.

I'm fairly certain that it's not really honey, and don't try to emulate it with golden syrup either, or it'll go real bad.

I'll check into it and get back to you, but maybe if you can get some sort of "honey malt"?

As for Eucalyptus honey, can you say "cough lolly" beer?

Les

that would be great mate, I thought their may be a honey malt out there just not using plain honey, the thing that gets me is why does it differ from bottles to keg? anyone thats had a beer at energy aus staduim to watch the saints kick some knights ass would know that hunter draught is a sweet drop, but in a carton (bottles) its a drop kick, could it be slightly different recipe? with the same name of course.

I would spend $50 bucks on ten kegged hunters at the game, but will not spend $34 for a carton of 24 ;)

I was going to say that if the "honey" flavour is anything like Beez Neez I couldn't see how you could drink much of it, I find a bottle of that about as rich as a bottle of honey itself. I'm interested to know what you find out Les :)

i have made the beez neez kit at brewcraft it came with

1kg wheat malt
lager kit
500grams honey
muntons gold yeast
12grams aroma Pride of ringwood hops

Biggest waste of money ever

I got a big sweet honey taste and then a big chunk of dreaded POR hop flavour tasted just errrw

Never gonna get conned into buying a whole recipe kit again and moved to all extract/partial best move ever.

But if i was too add honey to my beer i would only add a little bit as it can be overpowering and make a beer not taste like beer as in my case

1kg wheat malt
lager kit
500grams honey
muntons gold yeast

I got a big sweet honey taste and then a big chunk of dreaded POR hop flavour tasted just errrw

Never gonna get conned into buying a whole recipe kit again and moved to all extract/partial best move ever.

But if i was too add honey to my beer i would only add a little bit as it can be overpowering and make a beer not taste like beer as in my case

thanks for the warning. I have seen this kit in a LHBS and was seriously thinking of trying it. POR and honey, that makes my brain taste bad already, another thing is the price tag they had stuck on this, I'm pretty sure it was $50+

If you find an aromatic honey you like you can incorporate that into your brew the trick is to add it to your fermenter during transfer any temps much over 70 degrees will drive of the aromatics so it can take alot trials to get right and then you find next seasons honey completely different and have to start again. The benefit however is in the fact you dont have to use as much honey to get the subtle complexities.

As anyone attempted to brew kk's with honey?
The reason I ask is at energy australia stadium they sell hunter draught on tap, which in the bottle was crap, but out of a keg it has a hint of honey which was nice. Is this just the malt I can taste or can I sweeten a brew with honey?

If anyone has a nice kit n extract recipe for a honey wheat ale or ideas let me know...

Hi

I used a brewcraft kit which came with everything you need including the right kind of honey, and i was quite surprised, it turned out :icon_chickcheers: excellent, the honey taste and smell was just enough for my taste.

Hope this helps

mark

I was going to say that if the "honey" flavour is anything like Beez Neez I couldn't see how you could drink much of it, I find a bottle of that about as rich as a bottle of honey itself. I'm interested to know what you find out Les :)

When I drank Beez Neez I thought the honey was a little too subtle for them to get away with calling it a 'honey beer'

1kg wheat malt
lager kit
500grams honey
muntons gold yeast

You use POR as an arome hop? that's your problem right there, I'd never use it as an aroma hop (yeah, yeah, all those who hate POR you can go ahead and cut off the "as an aroma hop" part :p )

Here is a site about Hunter Draught. The two reviews were underwhelming and neither mentioned hints of homey- however, they could be the stubby version and you mentioned that it's not present in the stubby version.

ratebeer.com has a little more information. One reviewer noted homey in the bottled one. However, reviews here are somewhat negative.

When I drank Beez Neez I thought the honey was a little too subtle for them to get away with calling it a 'honey beer'

You use POR as an arome hop? that's your problem right there, I'd never use it as an aroma hop (yeah, yeah, all those who hate POR you can go ahead and cut off the "as an aroma hop" part :p )

Here is a site about Hunter Draught. The two reviews were underwhelming and neither mentioned hints of homey- however, they could be the stubby version and you mentioned that it's not present in the stubby version.

ratebeer.com has a little more information. One reviewer noted homey in the bottled one. However, reviews here are somewhat negative.

yeah i know thats my point it was my first brew and the counter person conned me into thinking it was fine as it came in their kit

i was very pissed off as it would've tasted pretty good if i hadnt of used por

Latest posts

Back