Homebrew Good For Wife's Liver

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That reminds me, it is time for the follow up pathology- fingers crossed...

Same. Going tomorrow. We'll see if I have the same results you did. :huh:

OK, so anyone taking bets? :p

But there's a serious side too, where one quietly sh*ts oneself while waiting for the call... :huh:

Nah, I'm quietly confident. I feel pretty great. All the best for yours.

Calm down boys ... sound a bit too much like I'll show you mine if you show me your's!

BTW: Just checked my LFT results and they're still within normal range after 3 years of homebrew. Can't say the same about my blood sugar thought ... she's got me on a no-white-foods diet ... which doesn't include witbier ... thank God!

I suffer from gout as well, but the last thing I could be accused of being is Vegan. Still, I will use it as an argument against!
Sorta off topic but the gout was caused by eating purine-rich foods which were things like lentils, chickpeas, beans, soya products etc.. sent my uric acid levels through the ceiling. I used to eat twice a week at this heavenly Indian vegetarian restaurant (still sneak in a feed there once a month, naughty) and a typical spread would be a legume rich curry with chickpeas etc, accompanied by a soy cheese (substitute for Paneer) laden side curry, rice and pappadums. Now I avoid anything legume and eat eggs as my major protein source. Also lost five kilos in the last month. Vegan for health and fitness yeah

Nah, I'm quietly confident. I feel pretty great. All the best for yours.
Old habit I guess. To be honest I'm confident, everyone says I look terrific too. Ditto, thanks & :beer: !

Old habit I guess. To be honest I'm confident, everyone says I look terrific too. Ditto, thanks & :beer: !

You get old
You fall to bits

However I don't think you are quite there yet Rde

B)

Yeah allright, bad blue- no more talking shop... :D I'm just glad your wife's experience ghhb, was similar to my own, thought I was just a HB- guzzling freak!

Bribie, the flatus is under control now too? What about the eggs, they'd make up for less pulses? :p

:icon_offtopic: Phillip are you vegan or ovo lacto vegetarian? And why? Just interested because veganism gave me horrible gout and inflammatory tendon disease which has been cured by going back to an omnivorous diet - like to read peoples stories on nutrition and diets.

ovo lacto vegetarian...and for those who don't know, it means I eat dairy and eggs. Which basically means I don't anything that had to die...

I went vego for a few reasons, its healthier and it justs feels right.

I wonder how much processing goes on at Coopers, being bottled conditioned I would have thought it would have been very minimal. Either way, your homebrew is better than Coopers and certainly more variety. To know that liver functions have improved is great news and to know that drinking good quality beer isn't detrimental is even better :)

This is an interesting thread, as I am contantly harrangued by my wife that I drink too much, even though I don't drink anywhere near what some of you guys drink (BribieG - 6-7pints a night and more on the weekends? I hope you're talking english milds here!). The gist I am getting is that food diet has a very large role to play in improving liver health. I wonder if the OP's wife would have been able to maintain her healthy liver scores if she had continued to drink Coopers instead of homebrew, after improving her diet and taking the supplements. Like Daemon, above, I would have thought due to bottle conditioning, Coopers would be pretty "healthy" as far as commercial beers go.

- Snow

ovo lacto vegetarian...and for those who don't know, it means I eat dairy and eggs. Which basically means I don't anything that had to die...

I went vego for a few reasons, its healthier and it justs feels right.

The veal industry is driven almost entirely by the dairy industry. When a dairy breed cow has a baby, if it's female it becomes a new dairy cow but if it's male it becomes, after a period of force feeding, veal parmagiana. Dairy breeds don't make the best beef (Steer meat) so they get bumped off when they are young and tender. Also dairy cows are culled after their first few productive years so don't get to old age. End up in Maccas.Free range eggs are good though, Channel 9 did an exercise a few years ago when they fed volunteers a dozen eggs a day for a few weeks and their cholesterol and triglyceride levels actually fell.

Channel 9 did an exercise a few years ago when they fed volunteers a dozen eggs a day for a few weeks and their cholesterol and triglyceride levels actually fell.

But their methane levels skyrocketed! :lol:

:icon_offtopic: but following on from what Bribie has said.
Bribie, yes the veal meat industry has, and deserves, a bad rap BUT there are some that are trying to improve the way they rear their vealers.
More room for them to move, keeping several together, a little grain in their diet instead of just milk. Makes for a slightly pinker meat but still tender.
This is mainly driven by Dairymen who are looking for a mor humane way of dealing with male calves than just a quick bullet and feed it to the dogs.
Cheers
Nige

The veal industry is driven almost entirely by the dairy industry. When a dairy breed cow has a baby, if it's female it becomes a new dairy cow but if it's male it becomes, after a period of force feeding, veal parmagiana. Dairy breeds don't make the best beef (Steer meat) so they get bumped off when they are young and tender. Also dairy cows are culled after their first few productive years so don't get to old age. End up in Maccas.Free range eggs are good though, Channel 9 did an exercise a few years ago when they fed volunteers a dozen eggs a day for a few weeks and their cholesterol and triglyceride levels actually fell.

bang on i have been trying to tell my vego mates this for years. and also people who dont eat veal "cause its wrong" but they wont try and stop the "issue" by not consuming dairy products :p

i also hate when people will only eat the prime cuts, specaly the women who only eat chicken breast and eye fillet because they "think they are cute" or "dont realy want to hurt anything" but they will kill a 300-400kg animal for about 10-15kgs of it. that realy pisses me off.. if you like animals then have the respect to eat everything you can.

but now im really :icon_offtopic:

bang on i have been trying to tell my vego mates this for years. and also people who dont eat veal "cause its wrong" but they wont try and stop the "issue" by not consuming dairy products :p

i also hate when people will only eat the prime cuts, specaly the women who only eat chicken breast and eye fillet because they "think they are cute" or "dont realy want to hurt anything" but they will kill a 300-400kg animal for about 10-15kgs of it. that realy pisses me off.. if you like animals then have the respect to eat everything you can.

but now im really :icon_offtopic:

So when I buy a steak the rest of the animal is left to rot?

Ridiculous.

Ridiculous.

What about a hot dog? Do they just take the lips and @rsehole and leave the rest? :p

Cheers SJ

Ridiculous.

:icon_offtopic:

I think his point is people dont think of a chicken breast as being "from a chicken" as it does not resemble a limb of the chicken like a wing or a maryland. Same thing goes for an eye fillet. No bones = No Cow. people are happy to forget about the other cuts of meat because "its below their class" and its forgotten that an animal of 400kg was sacrificed for your 10kg of eye fillet. I whole heartedly agree with him on his point and persoanlly i'd prefer to consume the other 97.5% of the animal.

There is also a big difference between 'knowing where you food comes from' and experiencing the process from start to finish. As you remove that incubation one has when a dozen odd guys and gals in Victoria slaughter all of our meat for us and allows us to take this really importaint process as something to sweep under the rug.

People have got to stop insulating themselves from the reality of where their meat actually comes from and that it doesnt magically end up on a styrofoam tray wrapped in plactic at the local woolies or delivered to their butcher as some magical steak bricks. Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall has a great series where he attempts to help people change their ways with meat selection (free range, organic, no take away, diet variety) and has them spend time on his farm, rearing animals, taking some to slaughter, nose to tail ethos, respecting the animal and seeing the effects on the life and most importantly the meat of intensive chicken/beef/lamb farming compared to organic & free range. Impressive stuff.

its forgotten that an animal of 400kg was sacrificed for your 10kg of eye fillet. I whole heartedly agree with him on his point and persoanlly i'd prefer to consume the other 97.5% of the animal.

This point makes no sense at all. None.

Nothing of the animal is wasted. Nothing. If we all start increasing the demand for beef cheeks it won't reduce any wastage. There is already a demand and established market for beef cheeks. The only way to get more beef cheeks on to plates is to kill more cows. Although you might drive the price of porterhouse down so, please, be my guest.

Have spent some time in abbatoirs and nothing is wasted, it may not all end up cryovaced in your local supermarket or on your dining plates, but nothing is wasted. Every part has form of commerical value (pet food, fertalizer, leather/hide, fat for rendering, etc etc). Have been into rooms full of people stripping every last trace of meat from bones, all of it used.

(after all something needs to be used to thicken up Maccas thickshakes and sundaes :ph34r: )

Cheers SJ

This point makes no sense at all. None.
Nothing of the animal is wasted. Nothing.

I didnt say that the animal is being wasted. What im saying is there is more to a chicken than a breast or an eye fillet on a cow. Yes, there is nothing wasted from the animal, including the mechanically recovered meat that gets blown off the carcass, caught in a liquid slurry and made into kebab meat. :beerbang:

The point i am making is not that the animal is being wasted but majority of consumers do not venture past the rediculously overpriced chicken breasts, eye fillets (pork or beef) and lamb backstrap along with incubating themselves from the lifecycle of where their meat is coming from. Everyone who consumes meat should eat every cut they can from an animal. Not just to keep precious 'classy meat' costs down but to give back that respect for the animal/s they choose to consume.

Oh, porterhouse, pfft! gimmie a scotch fillet anyday! :icon_drool2:

Anyway, off to the Queen Vic Market now for some mechanically removed meat in a burek and a selection of deli meats! :super:

Back