Home Roasting Malt

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrew Coleman

Reaction score
I have some Pale chocolate malt and want to roast it to around 1300 - 1500 EBC and make more like a black malt for a guiness type stout, anyone know how long and at what temp i should do this at?! Cheers!

Drew

I've never roasted my malt black. I would try aroun the 200-220c and pull out the tray and toss every 5-10mins. Trial and error.

BUMP, any one else got any hot tips, experience with this?

Cheers btw banshee was planning on roasting at 200C for small periods of time so not to just burn them and to cool and check change in tastes.

Drew

If you have any luck, let us know. I've tried it a few times, and never had much luck. The malt always seems to have a harsh flavour, even when left for a few weeks before using.

I've roasted my own malts but i've only roasted to a munich or to a biscuit or possibly brown malt, or i've done crystal. from what i've read making choc or black patent you want it arount 200-220*c and its quite a fine line between right and burnt and its hard to keep it evenly roasted/burnt mixing it by hand. i dont use much of the choc so i buy it. seems like something thats quite fiddly to get right and considering the amount i use its not worth it.

good luck, post any results you get.

The difference between roasted and burnt is about five seconds.

If you have any luck, let us know. I've tried it a few times, and never had much luck. The malt always seems to have a harsh flavour, even when left for a few weeks before using.

I've toasted some pale malt (I think it was for an IPA) and it came out great, gave the beer a nice, subtle toasty flavour

Ohk glad i have been discouraged from doing this now as it seems likely i will just burn the grain, i must just buy some next visit to the LHBS!

Drew

Ohk glad i have been discouraged from doing this now as it seems likely i will just burn the grain, i must just buy some next visit to the LHBS!

Drew

honestly if you cannot get to a LHBS easily to get black malt or roast barley, just use the chocolate in the same % or slightly higher.

I have made a stout with carafa special II before and it come out great. It was softer on the coffee characteristics but still quite roasty and grain bitter. if your chocolate macthes carafa's EBC, i'd give it a shot. atleast if you are in an experimental mood. ;)

Latest posts

Back