Home Made Manifold...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scrumpy

Reaction score
hey dudes!

just wondering if anybody has made a mashtun manifold out of every day PVC. I have found some info online and people seem to be recomending the use of CPVC, apparently this stuff in heat proof.

Has anybody had any problems using the every day stuff or is the CPVC a must. Is the mash temp really hot enough to release any nasties into my potential brews??

cheers!

Not an expert on PVC but unless its foodgrade it may leach lead. But I am well trained / experienced on the effects of lead in paint and I would make sure the PVC you use is food grade.

Cheers Brad

I have used standard PVC for almost a year. No idea if I am transferring Lead or not.

PVC is rated to 60 deg C. I think it has to do with pressure ratings, but I also think it may have something to do with the plasticicer coming out of it at high temperatures. CPVC is cheap enough that I would use it instead. Some homes in the US have PVC for cold water supply pipes only and the other for hot water distribution. I use CPVC for both and don't worry about it.

hey dudes!

just wondering if anybody has made a mashtun manifold out of every day PVC. I have found some info online and people seem to be recomending the use of CPVC, apparently this stuff in heat proof.

Has anybody had any problems using the every day stuff or is the CPVC a must. Is the mash temp really hot enough to release any nasties into my potential brews??

cheers!

Yep, CPVC it's high pressure as well so tough, works fine. Tried copper, PVC, SS braid and even built a slotted copper covered with SS braid. In the quest for improved efficiency I went SS FB. Thinking back, changing brewing processes probably had mor of an effect than changing manifolds. Jay (jayandcath) uses a commercial PVC manifold and achieves 85%+ regularly.

Screwy

Hey Screwy out of curiosity whats a commercial pvc manifold?

Cheers Bard

:icon_offtopic: Sorry this doesn't answer the question about PVC manifolds, but I thought it might be of general interest as part of the discussion. I recently moved from a SS false bottom screen to a copper slotted manifold (rectangle with 4 cross beams) and found that my efficiency stayed the same but my lautering time reduced remarkably. I would say the filter bed sets and clears the wort around 3 times faster now, which is great, as I batch sparge in two lots, which is of course 3 lautering recirculations. Anything that shortens the brewday is good, IMO!

Cheers - Snow

:icon_offtopic: Sorry this doesn't answer the question about PVC manifolds, but I thought it might be of general interest as part of the discussion. I recently moved from a SS false bottom screen to a copper slotted manifold (rectangle with 4 cross beams) and found that my efficiency stayed the same but my lautering time reduced remarkably. I would say the filter bed sets and clears the wort around 3 times faster now, which is great, as I batch sparge in two lots, which is of course 3 lautering recirculations. Anything that shortens the brewday is good, IMO!

Cheers - Snow

Just about to go the opposite way, i've been using a slotted copper manifold in an esky with reasonable success, in the process of setting up SS keg with false bottom at the moment. I hope i'm not about to go three times as slow during lautering!

Latest posts

Back