Steam kettle brewing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thumper Nixon

Reaction score
Hey there,
Looking for advice with using jacketed steam kettles.
Me and a group of friends are planing to create a microbrewery using steam produced from a steam boiler, cross tube Galloway boiler, the idea comes from from one of the gents in our collective is a steam nut, he has his chief steam ticket, also owns and runs a paddle steamer....so yeah...loves steam.
We are looking for information on how much steam is needed for a 1000 litre kettle,
We are in the lookout for used steam jacketed vassal x 3, 1000 litre if anyone has any laying around.
Any info would be much appreciated, I've been searching online for days without any luck.
Many thanks
Thumper

I would consult an expert and pay them! There is a member here who would be worth talking to. Wes Smith is the guy I would start with

Steam is standard for any bigger brewery but Australia has some of the strictest pressure vessel laws in the world so importing anything second-hand could be difficult. New equipment has to comply.
There are plenty of good boiler companies around who could help you size your steam generator. Seriously take good advice it will save you a bomb in the long run.
Mark

I would consult an expert and pay them! There is a member here who would be worth talking to. Wes Smith is the guy I would start with

Steam is standard for any bigger brewery but Australia has some of the strictest pressure vessel laws in the world so importing anything second-hand could be difficult. New equipment has to comply.
There are plenty of good boiler companies around who could help you size your steam generator. Seriously take good advice it will save you a bomb in the long run.
Mark
Cheers Mark,
Much appreciated.
I have a steam guy on board.
Navel steam chief engineer and architect.
I really need a hand finding the steam jacketed vessels.
Tom

Do at least talk to an expert. It will probably work out cheaper to get at least your kettle custom built.
Remember that energy is going to be one of your biggest bills, the amount of heat you need can easily vary by more than enough to pay for an efficient kettle over a year or so.

I suspect from a couple of things you have said that you don’t know all that much about brewery design, clearly not enough to be investing in a brewery without help.
It won’t cost you anything to speak to someone like Wes. It could save you a lot of money.
No doubt your mate knows all about using steam to spin a propeller, but that isn’t the same.
I could design you a nice little 10HL brew house, if it was going to be steam powered I would be taking a lot of advice because I would need it.
Personally I suspect 10HL is a bit small to make using steam the right answer, have seen a couple around 12HL but most steam powered breweries are double that and up.
Mark

Latest posts

Back