Home Brewing Makes The Paper

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ben_sa

Now in 3V
Reaction score
Check out the Sunday mail today, Page 46, just a small segment about homebrewing and it outlines the tax we pay

Strewth, i didnt know we pay $22 tax on a bottle of spirits! <_<

Insane!

Good thing malted grain is only circa $5 per kg... we can make a 30L batch of beer for that tax figure!

I generally pay around $3.60 for domestic base malt ex Craftbrewer but the freight would kill it to SA.

When I went on the Bundaberg Rum Distillery Tour earlier this year, we had a squizz inside a Bond Store, the Vat of Rum right in front of us had $6 Million worth of Rum in it, we were informed that 2/3 of that $6 Million would go to the Government... :(

And thats only 1 Vat... :unsure:

:icon_cheers: CB

Yeah it's pretty ridiculous how the vast majority of the cost of a (cheap) spirit is in the tax.

A bottle of metho -- about 95% ethanol -- can be had for less than $5. That's around twice the alcohol for 1/6 the price.

Yeah it's pretty ridiculous how the vast majority of the cost of a (cheap) spirit is in the tax.

A bottle of metho -- about 95% ethanol -- can be had for less than $5. That's around twice the alcohol for 1/6 the price.

And when you mix it with the orange juice you are supporting local farmers as well.

The price of alcoholic drinks should be increased, the only way to releive the strain on the medical system caused by alcohol abuse, alcohol fuelled violence and accidents. Makes me laugh every time I hear this old kernel touted. The tax collected currently on alcoholic beverages by the federal government could fund a hospital on every corner :lol:

Screwy

If people stopped drinking smoking and gambling to government would go broke :party: Oh and of course our government is against all three.

Batz

If people stopped drinking smoking and gambling to government would go broke :party: Oh and of course our government is against all three.

Batz

Truer words never spoken.....

I'd love to see a government budget that had no "vice" taxes included.......Hell, work even paid the NSW gov an extra $100mill to keep their exclusive licence for the next 12 years....

(if you drive a car, car;) - I'll tax the street;
(if you try to sit, sit;) - I'll tax your seat;
(if you get too cold, cold;) - I'll tax the heat;
(if you take a walk, walk;) - I'll tax your feet.

Taxman!

(Lyrics, Beatles "Taxman")

Check out the Sunday mail today, Page 46, just a small segment about homebrewing and it outlines the tax we pay

Strewth, i didnt know we pay $22 tax on a bottle of spirits! <_<

its something like $35 tax on each PURE ltr of alcohol produced, and thats measured as it leaves the still... so add into that the "angels share" that is lost in the 2 years minimum aging in wood you need to call rum, rum or whiskey, whiskey, it ends up a lot more (a 25 YO bottle of scotch can lose more than 60% in the barrel due to evaporation)

so a barrel of 150ltrs @ 65%ABV is about $3412.50 tax and after 25 years only 60 ltrs is left @ 65%ABV. that makes 97.5 ltrs @ 40%ABV (73.125*750ml bottles) and a tax rate of $46.67 per 750ml bottle of a nice 25YO whiskey

There are only 2 thing gauranteed in life:

Death and Tax.

Tax is the one we fear the most lol.

Latest posts

Back