Home Brew Supplies From Usa

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michaelcocks

Reaction score
Hi guys

I have to go to thE usa on a short one week business trip

I love all our lhbs and sponsers ... But the are some things you just plain don't seem to be able to get here .. Or they are real expensive ..
I was thinking of marris otter extract, pilsner extract
some of the kegging parts are real cheap ( compared to here)
any ideas I don't have loads of space but 4 or 5 items would be ok
also if I did bring back grain and hops and any other vegetable matter that hadn't been thro a factory process ( ie put in a can or a packet) would be not allowed thru customs
I will be declaring, but just want to make sure it's going to get thru
thanks
Michael
ps nothing heavy obviuosly
pls now spending whole day on morebeer , northern brewer and Williams brewing websites looking for toys ;)

if I did bring back grain and hops and any other vegetable matter that hadn't been thro a factory process ( ie put in a can or a packet) would be not allowed thru customs
I will be declaring, but just want to make sure it's going to get thru

Hi Michael,

For a detailled answer - see http://www.aqis.gov.au and search their database.

Whole hops can only come in from New Zealand, Pellets and Plug ok from USA but you will have to comply with the requirements.

Malted grains are ok, provided you meet the requirements.

Having said that, I would suggest that forget about the grain as we can get the same or similar varieties here. Same for the extracts.

Depending on your level of brewing hops may be the go but again you can get all the varieties here as well. If you need a new mill you can save heaps on the shipping.

But my advice, would be to look at books and magazines. They are really cheap over there so it is a great time to build up a library of books and back issues of magazines.

Then there is all the delicious and distinctive beer ....... :icon_drool2: Don't pay any notice of the duty free limits - you can easilly bring in heaps more and only pay with a smile and pleasant manner.

HTH,
Dave

I'm in SF now.

Visiting More Beer at some stage this week. I'll be buying a 6-way gas manifold, Some pellet hops that I haven't seen in Oz, Maybe a book or two, And lots of beer.

I think what the OP was referring to was malt extract specifically made from Maris Otter malt, and Pilsener malt. A sponsor has a selection from a German supplier but apart from that, in Australia, we are more or less stuck with Coopers and Wander malt extracts made from Gawd knows what. Now a can of Maris Otter extract, that would be worth playing around with.

The answer is HOPS!

Get at least a pound of every hop you can, come home and split them up and sell them at half the price they're available for here and still make a handy profit.

I think what the OP was referring to was malt extract specifically made from Maris Otter malt, and Pilsener malt. A sponsor has a selection from a German supplier but apart from that, in Australia, we are more or less stuck with Coopers and Wander malt extracts made from Gawd knows what. Now a can of Maris Otter extract, that would be worth playing around with.
It would be good MO extract if it hasnt been cut with brewing sugar's, most are :( Must read the fine print or ask the questions.
GB

i'd go the hop route and pay off the cost of your trip by reselling them! :lol:

That and beer! :chug:

Oh Oh, I'd also investigate ordering some goodies from morebeer that you cannot get here (or is much more expensive) e.g. JG fittings/taps/shanks

Slightly off the topic....... I am currently sitting in Boston airport. Been here with work all week. Managed to visit a few microbrewery bars in the evening. Some good, some not so good.
Had the day off today and went to the Sam Adams and Harpoon brewery tours. Would highly recommend doing both if anyone is visiting Boston. Had 5 samples at the Sam Adam's brewery (decent sizes too) and got to keep the glass and all free. Went on the first tour of the day - 10am and it wasn't too busy, but when I was finishing up it was getting busy, so recommend going early. The tour is at their R and D site, so they have plenty of beers that you won't be able to get anywhere else.
Harpoon brewery was great too. Basically a free bar for an hour, and you can drink as much as you want. It was excellent and again all free! The wheat beers are not too good though (think they use the same yeast for all their ales) but all the others are very drinkable.
Check them out if you get the opportunity.

Back