1st Brew On Braumeister - Pics

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davewaldo

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

There seems to have been a surge in interest in this system lately so I thought I'd post some pics and my experiences during my maiden brew.

This 50L Braumeister is a graduation gift from my wife (yes she does have a sister but she's also married, sorry fellas). When it arrived I was impressed by its compact size and quality build.

Firstly I should mention that I took my time during my first brew. It was quite a long brew day. I actually don't think the BM will save me much time, but it is much easier and I can leave it to mash / boil unattended while I do other things (like bottle a previous batch), and clean up is quite simple. But time saving wasn't why I purchased this system. My main reasons were consistency batch to batch, full electric brewing, and size.

Also, I'd like to disagree with those that think the BM is an automated system and therefore the brewer is hands off / less involved. I still mixed the mash at dough in, did a small manual sparge and added hops to the boil. Compared to a my old 3v system, the only things I didn't do was to calculate strike temp, manually recirculate and clean 3 vessels and extra hoses and taps (also I didn't have to constantly tweak gas output for the boil or worry about boil overs). I still had all the joy of being the brewer, I just used a machine to recirculate and hit temps. Essentially it allows me to do the fun parts of brewing without some of the annoying parts. I think its basically the same as any herms or rims system, just it all happens in the one vessel (ie, mash in then set temps and allow to recirculate and ramp up).

Anyways... on to the brew!

In with the malt!

BM_Brew01_03.jpg

Here is a photo showing the size of the unit (I'm about 5 foot 10). Its compact, but not small. Also, you can see the nice draw string upgrade MHB adds to the filters. These make life SO much easier than the standard filters and the workmanship is equal to the quality of the BM.

BM_Brew01_02.jpg

An idiot with his new toy. Again you can see how much easier the draw string makes handling the filters and keeping them correctly located. This image is just after stirring in the mash.

BM_Brew01_05.jpg

Here is the wort shortly after recirculating begins. This is a Dr Smurto's Golden Ale.

BM_Brew01_08.jpg

The computer showing that we're warming up from mash in at 50 degrees to the first rest at 66. The BM seems to ramp at about 1 degree per minute. This was with no insulation, on a breezy day of about 15 degrees. I'm happy with that, but I'll experiment with insulation too :)

BM_Brew01_09.jpg

About half way through the mash, crystal clear wort... nice! :D

BM_Brew01_12.jpg

Lifting the malt pipe was a bitch. Even with two blokes it was awkward. The suction was the killer. I plan to make a little bench for my BM with an overhead manual winch. This means I'll be able to brew solo if needed too.

BM_Brew01_13a.jpg

After the mash had drained for 5 mins or so I sparged (a rinse really) the grains with 1L per kg of malt at 80 degrees. This didn't make the wort cloudy like I feared it might (rinsing in the opposite direction to the recirculation flow).

BM_Brew01_17.jpg

The boil went well. Its not a raging boil, quite gentle really. But it is constant and did give me at least 10% boil off. I whirlpooled then cooled using a plate chiller via gravity into a 60L fermenter. I only extracted 43L rather than the 50L I planned, but my efficiency was still over 85% (mash efficiency). I'm very pleased with that! Also the whirlpool worked very well despite all the elements at the bottom of the BM. I ended up with 43L of clear 1.057 wort.

Cleaning was a breeze apart from the elements inside the BM. These had a light coating of break material the needed to be wiped off, a fiddly job as there are so many element coils. I think in the future I might recirculate some warm PBW after a quick hose out while I clean up the rest of the brew gear and aerate / pitch yeast etc. I think this would clean the elements and pumps well. Tipping the unit upside down and quickly dismantling the pumps for a rinse was a breeze.

All in all a very successful brew day. I can see the BM will add a great level of control to my brewing and I'll be able to learn a lot by having predictable gear and repeatable processes. This should allow me to tweak recipes and actually track the differences.

Anyways, this has been long enough, thanks for reading. Any comments or questions welcome!

Cheers,

Dave.

Congrats on the 50L, for some reason I thought you were getting the 20.

I do like those draw string filters, great idea. Is Mark fabricating them himself?
The last two brews I have sat the malt pipe on top of the unit, as you would do when lautering, then filled in the grain and slowly lowered it into the water. This came as a recommendation from Ralf from Speidel. Works quite well and solves the issue with the floating filter, although those draw string filters seem even easier.

As to cleaning the element, I just use a micro fibre cloth, slide it between the element and kettle, and run it along the element. Works very well, they come up like new. I only use PBW every second or third brew, and to be honest, it makes almost no difference. But if you use it, just switch into manual mode and heat to about 70 degrees, with the pump running.

As with every new system, it will take you a few brews to fully be able to predict volumes and gravity, but once you got it you're all set.
And even if the brew day still takes the same amount of time, there is just so much time in between to get things done, look after the kids etc., especially when doing five step mashes.

Florian

Dave
Glad you enjoyed your first brew, as Florian said there will be bit of settling in, heres one tip
I leave the top filter in place when I add my sparge water, its helps to distribute the hot water more evenly, disturbs the grain bed less and I find gives a slower more even sparge.
All the latest batch of Braumeisters to arrive have come with the Stainless Steel filters, personally after trying them I prefer the modified fabric filters, without the drawstring they were a PITA to keep flat. To my mind the only really problematic part of the Braumeister design.
A big yes on the repeatability and consistency factor, thats what Braumeister excels at.
MHB

nice pics and explanation, what's a 50lt BM worth if you don't mind me asking ?

cheers

Oh so noice. Forget BIAB and 3v I know what I want. Hmmm what can I sell off.

He He reminds me of Oz and James drink for Britain.

Thanks Guys,

Florian: I believe Mark takes the original speidel filter and sews on the drawstring perimeter. It really is a brilliant solution and I think I would prefer this over the new stainless screens. I like the idea of it being held firmly in the perfect position. Thanks for the cleaning tip. I tried using a sponge and brush, but I'll give a micro-fibre cloth a go next time.

MHB: Thanks Mark, I'll have to try it that way next time. The reason I took off the top filter is so I could gently fill in the hole created that runs down the middle of the grain bed formed by the centre rod. I figure the sparge water will just funnel down that hole otherwise. My only concern with leaving the top plate in place would be the water just hitting the top filter then channelling down the sides of the malt pipe. I would like to come up with a system to sparge slower however. I'll leave the plate in next time and see how I go.

Yardy: Thanks mate, I believe the 50L system is going for $3500 at most places now. If you go to MHB you get the customised filters and SS pickup tube included (no affiliation blah blah). EDIT: Might sound expensive but when compared to other automated RIMs of HERMS it is well cheaper and easier to use.

I look forward to the next few brews. I'll pay more attention to volumes so I can really dial things in.

Cheers,

Dave.

So when's the demo brewday in Brisbane, guys? :)

BIAB brew-off? :super:

So when's the demo brewday in Brisbane, guys? :)

BIAB brew-off? :super:

system wars? anytime, but it'll be a five step mash pilsener, not a single infusion yorkie or whatever...

Great post Mate, I was browsing the manufacturers page the other day and you've answered questions I didn't know I had. Was the computer/panel hard to work/get your head around? And do you think the money was well spent?

Far out Dave that looks awesome. Compact, easy to use, repeatability... brilliant. I'm very envious, thanks for the pics and description.

Great post Mate, I was browsing the manufacturers page the other day and you've answered questions I didn't know I had. Was the computer/panel hard to work/get your head around? And do you think the money was well spent?

Attached are the instructions in English, they also explain how to program the unit, it's very simple and easy. Definately money well spent if you ask me (which you haven't).

View attachment Betriebsanleitung_Braumeister_20l_50l_Maerz_2011_englisch_2_.pdf

Hi Duke, The computer is very straight forward and easy to use. I will need to refer to the manual for the first few brews just to make sure I'm doing it right but I'm sure I'll have it memorised soon. Basically you just program each step temp and its time. You can also use it manually and program a temp and turn on/off the heat or pumps manually.

As for value for money... Each person has a different value of money and what they want from brewing. Brewing for me was never a financial exercise, I want to brew great beer not cheap beer. So the BM offers me a system that is flexible, stable and repeatable so I can learn and grow as a brewer (and not constantly second guess flavours in my beer as being caused by poor mashing, or other equipment issues). I could have built something for less, but I love the simplicity and lack of pipes and plumbing to harbour nasties of the BM. I want to focus on brewing and not having to constantly tweak and update my system. Also, I have jumped from a relatively cheap system to a costly one. I am a believer in spending money once on quality items. I could have gone through the upgrade path multiple times and spent a similar amount. But I have chosen to spend $3500 now, and I believe the BM will last me a LONG time and I won't have to upgrade or spend money on gas again. So yes, for me I see it is a great investment. I've forgotten the purchase price already. Others may find equal satisfaction from a $500 DIY system, its really and individual thing....

Im just jealous - but happy for a fellow brewer :lol:

Congrats mate!!

out of curiosity, what are you qualified for now?

Hi Duke, The computer is very straight forward and easy to use. I will need to refer to the manual for the first few brews just to make sure I'm doing it right but I'm sure I'll have it memorised soon. Basically you just program each step temp and its time. You can also use it manually and program a temp and turn on/off the heat or pumps manually.

As for value for money... Each person has a different value of money and what they want from brewing. Brewing for me was never a financial exercise, I want to brew great beer not cheap beer. So the BM offers me a system that is flexible, stable and repeatable so I can learn and grow as a brewer (and not constantly second guess flavours in my beer as being caused by poor mashing, or other equipment issues). I could have built something for less, but I love the simplicity and lack of pipes and plumbing to harbour nasties of the BM. I want to focus on brewing and not having to constantly tweak and update my system. Also, I have jumped from a relatively cheap system to a costly one. I am a believer in spending money once on quality items. I could have gone through the upgrade path multiple times and spent a similar amount. But I have chosen to spend $3500 now, and I believe the BM will last me a LONG time and I won't have to upgrade or spend money on gas again. So yes, for me I see it is a great investment. I've forgotten the purchase price already. Others may find equal satisfaction from a $500 DIY system, its really and individual thing....

A strange itching sensation is developing in my eftpos pin pushing finger. For now I'll live vicariously through your post.
Happy brewing.

Heh...these crazy German brewing machines are going to be the next March pump!

You're not a real brewer until.... :beerbang:

great pics I would love one of these $3500 you say $4000 here in perth

Hey MHB how much to send one to Perth?

Congrats mate!!

out of curiosity, what are you qualified for now?

Thanks Rotten,

I'm continuing to run my post production / special effects business for advertising and commercial photography (I just finished Jim Beam's new posters, the bottle smashing the glass of beer around town now). But I'm now also a registered nurse! Can't wait to get into the ER! I'll be doing both jobs over the next few years. :)

Thanks all for the comments.

When MHB decided to sell these units a few years ago, I wonder if he thought they would actually sell in any real numbers. It just goes to show that if you provide quality products for committed hobbyists then price can be looked at more objectively. This doesn't only apply to the Braumeister but many of the systems being retailed as well as the one-off/diy systems.

Hopefully, it's the first step in a very long journey in highlighting that making your own beer can be about a lot more than merely making 'cheap grog'. Not that I particularly care that much how most people view home made beer.

Back