Home Brand

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGRO

Reaction score
Hi guys, i was wondering if anyone has ever tried the home brand extract cans from the supermarkets and is so what are they like, i was thinking about trying the home brand lager one day but i dont know if it would be any good, def cheaper only $6 a can. :unsure:

Cheers

twocan it with one, use a better yeast and a few flavour hops, and maybe some crystal grain.

treat it like you would liquid malt extract, but pre-bittered.

the homebrand cans have very little flavour, so hence the need for some extra hops, but only for flavour and aroma.

I use them a bit. Ive never used the yeast that comes with them though. Just buy some good yeast and hops from a brew shop and itll be a good beer.

I often use Coles..with a us56 or so4 yeast...a little extra hops....
I find them o.k.
Cheers
PJ

but i supose if you have to spend extra money on hops and yeast its prob beter to buy a better quality can like coopers??

maybe, depends on how you think about it.

imo the homebrand kits are good for brewing extract beer with, because, as i said, its cheaper than unhopped liquid malt.

on the flipside, they sometimes are a bit poor quality, so you can get a bit of an extract twang to them.

if you're not going to bother with hops or anything, then a better quality kit is definitely the way to go. no point being stingey with a couple of dollars to make a cheaper batch of poor quality beer.

normally for my extract beers i just use dried malt extract. 1kg is only $6.40 for me, so there is no point using a cheap kit, but i have been forced to before when i didnt have any access to dried malt at a decent price. turned out alright. used 2 cans of farmland draught iirc.

Hi guys, i was wondering if anyone has ever tried the home brand extract cans from the supermarkets and is so what are they like, i was thinking about trying the home brand lager one day but i dont know if it would be any good, def cheaper only $6 a can. :unsure:

Cheers

After 8 odd years of brewing,progressing from K'n"k, to xtract to AG I recently did a "Coles" lager.
Why ?,I hear you ask.
2 things happened simultaneously,I received some slurry from a micro(1968) and a thread started on dispensing from a cube.
2 AG brews were Planned for the 1968 so i put down a Lager can to 16 litres only without any adatives with a litre starter.Racked the lager can to a cube(dry Hopped) and primed to 4 grams/L as a tester for cask conditioning.Collected a cup of yeast from fermenter and pitched into wort 1, wort 2 was pitched onto
remaining yeast cake and both fermented out happily.
Great cheap($6) way to build up nice clean healthy starters as well as a 3.5 ish % beer to trial casking with.
drank half the cask over 2 weeks and decided to bottle the remainder to free up a cube.
The can was surprisingly clean to taste without any real off(read twangy) flavas.Body was thin and kinda blandish(compared to my current englishmalt based ales), but thats my palate bias in play.gave the dry hops a chance to feature( a half ,half blend of tassie hallertau and centennial) .it will certainly be a quick quaffer come spring.

maybe a Home brand can with a coopers BE2 and some hops of choice 20 grams for 10 min and 20 grams for 5 min made up to 20 ltres only and pitched with a US56 yeast would be worth a try.

Thats my 2c worth

Dave

Back