Home Brand Lager

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The reason why sugar won't be so good for your Stout is that it ferments out completely leaving nothing behind but alcohol. By contrast, malt does not ferment completely, and leaves behind a bunch of stuff which lends body and flavour to your beer. For some styles, too much body ruins the experince, so sugar can be a useful contributer, but a stout is different. For a stout you want the body, the richness, that you get from malt.

cheers,
T.

Understood. I did not have any malt with me that day and was too far away to get some. I guess that will still be drinkable.

Yes my stout has been in the fermenter for now 2 weeks, shall I speed this up with 15g of the provided english ale yeast that is dry or shall I use my fantastic wood powered heat pad, knowing that I have S23 in there and I don't want to kill it.

My 2 cents worth, get control of your temp zipster. Unless I read you wrong you had a swing of 10c when you shifted the fermenter. It a sure fire way to get some shithouse flavors mate.

Try and avoid more than 2c change in range . Another thing you asked was should you bottle anyway when you seemed to have a high fg. Well that's asking for trouble, as in your yeast may kick back off and in a sealed bottle there is no where for the co2 to go.

Good luck

My 2 cents worth, get control of your temp zipster. Unless I read you wrong you had a swing of 10c when you shifted the fermenter. It a sure fire way to get some shithouse flavors mate.

Try and avoid more than 2c change in range . Another thing you asked was should you bottle anyway when you seemed to have a high fg. Well that's asking for trouble, as in your yeast may kick back off and in a sealed bottle there is no where for the co2 to go.

Good luck

Still at 1020 today, it has been same reading for at least 3 days, the sugar taste seems to have disapeared though. I'm bottling today..

Thanks to all.

Hey mate, are you bottling to PET or glass? Either way, I hope you put the bottles somewhere where beer won't ruin the carpet, and cover with an old towel or something to contain any potential bombs. Please keep children and animals away from them!

Hey mate, are you bottling to PET or glass? Either way, I hope you put the bottles somewhere where beer won't ruin the carpet, and cover with an old towel or something to contain any potential bombs. Please keep children and animals away from them!

Spork,

What am I to do with a comment like that?

Off course I don't want bottles to explode.. But what am I supposed to do if the gravity lingers at 1020 for days. Add yeast? Warm it up?

Spork,

What am I to do with a comment like that?

Off course I don't want bottles to explode.. But what am I supposed to do if the gravity lingers at 1020 for days. Add yeast? Warm it up?

Why dont you just give it to your mates old man to swill.

1020 is definitely pretty high, especially for one with sugar in it.
You could try only using half the priming sugar if you want to play it safe.

I know all too well about bottle bombs. They're pretty f#ing nasty when they go off next to you.

FWIW, Maybe "Ruined" was a bad word choice. More like a strange recipe choice.
I tried making a Homebrand Belgian a couple of years back. It was crap, but a toucan homebrand with T-58 belgian yeast? Yep, lets blame the recipe, not the kit!

1020 is definitely pretty high, especially for one with sugar in it.
You could try only using half the priming sugar if you want to play it safe.

I know all too well about bottle bombs. They're pretty f#ing nasty when they go off next to you.

FWIW, Maybe "Ruined" was a bad word choice. More like a strange recipe choice.
I tried making a Homebrand Belgian a couple of years back. It was crap, but a toucan homebrand with T-58 belgian yeast? Yep, lets blame the recipe, not the kit!

1020 is finish for high SG so says the back if the hydrometer, so unless you have another idea for me apart from halving the priming sugar.... like add some yeast? what do you say? Because the whole thing definitely stopped fermenting at this stage..

For those who keep steering me up with my mate's old man, I wont be giving him anything of my brewing not because I don't want to but because he died a few month ago, this man was by the way an amaizing bloke.

1020 is finish for high SG so says the back if the hydrometer, so unless you have another idea for me apart from halving the priming sugar.... like add some yeast? what do you say? Because the whole thing definitely stopped fermenting at this stage..

For those who keep steering me up with my mate's old man, I wont be giving him anything of my brewing not because I don't want to but because he died a few month ago, this man was by the way an amaizing bloke.

I wonder why ?

Ah screw it. Add the yeast. Don't use the heat mat, just bring it into the warmer room.
To tell the truth I've done the same before, 3 different types of yeast in one beer.
If it works, great. If it doesn't, put it down to experience.

warm it up to about 20 deg if you can if not repitch yeast. something has gone wrong so it could be heaps of things but if the temps droped then the fermenter may not of had the time to get up to temp or when it did it cooled again. Plus kit yeast off the shelf is stored at shop temp good yeast as a good shop is stored at 4 deg as thats the best temp to extend its life.

Zip I think you just need to be a bit patient with your stout.
All though its possible with the temp changes youve subjected it to the yeast is dead or holding little viabilty, dont worry.
Let it sit for another week in a warmish location, the yeast may start up again, and if it doesnt it will allow it to settle a bit....you have indicated that it is getting
less sweet, a few more days may help.
Reality is it will need to age for a while so another week now is not going to hurt.

Main tip: stay away from straight sugar, use dextrose instead and consider replacing some/much/all of it with LDM...or even brew enhancers. :chug:

Zip, don't worry about what the back of the hydrometer says. The hydrometer doesn't know what ingredients went in to your beer.

Was it just a tin and the sugar or did you add anything like maltodextrin or lactose? Yeast can stall or slow down - the three days and it's done idea is an oversimplification. Yeast is a living thing and doesn't conform to our idea of how it should behave all the time.

Some tips and tricks here: http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...showarticle=130

If you bottle too early in glass or even in plastic, your bottles can easily explode. Even if they don't, the resulting beer can be overgassed and/or unpleasant tasting due to various byproducts the yeast would normally clean up if given time.

Once fermentation is complete, the yeast is still busy so there is nothing wrong with allowing a bit of extra time.

i'm currently experimenting with homebrand lager and liquid yeast cultivated from a longneck of coopers sparkling. who said you can't at least attempt to polish a turd?

i'm currently experimenting with homebrand lager and liquid yeast cultivated from a longneck of coopers sparkling. who said you can't at least attempt to polish a turd?
Pretty sure Mythbusters proved you can.

Back