Hoegarten Style kit

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Westo

Reaction score
Merry Christmas All

I got a Kit for Christmas that is a Hoegarten Style the kit comes with..

1x Morgans Wheat Malt Extract
1x Black Rock - Whispering Wheat
15g Coriander Seeds
1 x Safbrew WB06 yeast

you need to add the zest of an orange i think its 2 tablespoons worth

has anyone made this or something similar?? Also i notice there is no hops?? i thought that was weird as i like my hops :) any suggestions on this thinking of making it in the next few days

It won't closely resemble Hoegaarden, partly due to the absence of unmalted wheat and yeast choice. That being said, don't hesitate to make it but know it will be more along the lines of a German wheat beer (with coriander and orange). Don't worry about the absence of the additional hops as the style is not known for late hopping and the bitterness in the Blackrock kit will suffice. WB06 isn't my favourite yeast but have made a few decent beers with it. I'd say, brew it and let us know what you think of the finished product.

I did this a few weeks back.
I got the Weiss wheat malt extract but should work out good. Mine tasted good coming out of the fermentor.

I swapped the yeast for wyeast 3944.
Tasted good coming out of fermentor.
Will know more in a few weeks

cheers guys,

will make it up in the next few days and will post back how it turns out

The recipe I've seen for a kit and bits Hoegarten is basically the same except it adds 15g of Hersbrucker at 5 minutes before flameout of the coriander and orange boil. Mind you, the wheat beers I've tried don't have a huge hop presence and as Goomboogo said; the bitterness of the can will come through so you probably won't miss the hops too much.

The recipe is meant to make something pretty similar to the real thing, if you like wheat beers and you keep your temp in range for your yeast (18 - 21 for best results for the WB-06 from memory) then you shouldn't be disappointed.

Latest posts

Back