Hoegaarden Wit

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not going to give away my clone recipe. But the best start I can give you is your base. Don't use malted wheat or very little of it or it will be way to heavy. Good beligian wit yeast (wyeast) also essential
Lee

further to this point the local health food store is great for unmodified wheat

Anyone know where you can get the Indian Coriander Seeds in Adelaide?

Mick

I dunno in Adelaide but here in Sydney I go to a local Indian Grocery store for spices. They take their spices quite seriously and prices are normally quite cheap (Russel Peters anyone?). They are not often listed in the phone book so My bet is ask your local Cab driver for a source, seriously, they'll know.

In addition to coriander, They usually have bulk juniper, citric acid and Bollywood films like you wouldn't believe! ;)

I'm not going to give away my clone recipe. But the best start I can give you is your base. Don't use malted wheat or very little of it or it will be way to heavy. Good beligian wit yeast (wyeast) also essential
Lee

Ah, there's the spirit of homebrewing. What do you think he would do with your recipe? Sell it to the Hoegaarden people perhaps. They may be looking at improving their beer.

Ah, there's the spirit of homebrewing. What do you think he would do with your recipe? Sell it to the Hoegaarden people perhaps. They may be looking at improving their beer.

HA HA :lol: :lol:

redgums

Could I ask where you sourced your grains of paradise? They seem very had to come by in NZ and I'm hoping to ship some over! Thanks!

If you are looking to replicate the current incarnation of Hoegaarden, I read that they no longer put rolled oats in the recipe, since being taken over by InBev or whichever multinational bought 'em out.

:icon_cheers:

Does anyone add rice hulls to their mash? because i was thinking about making an allgrain belgian wit and thought it might be needed.

Does anyone add rice hulls to their mash? because i was thinking about making an allgrain belgian wit and thought it might be needed.

Yes I do, about 45gms worth, a bit of fibre helps to keep the wit mash regular. :p

cheers

grant

the most important part with wits is the yeast as alot of the wit flavour comes from this. If using 3944 then make a big starter of minium 2L if not 3L. The bigger the better. Here is the one I'm drinking now. took around 4 weeks to ferment out.

DSC_0049_resize.JPG

Back