Hoegaarden Wit

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peas_and_corn

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I cannot mash that
Reaction score
I'm positive there's threads about this, but I couldn't find one...

I need a recipe for a hoegaarden wit. I took my other half to the Belgian Beer Cafe and she loved the wit and wants me to make one. Since she helps me make beer a lot, I will oblige. SO... any good AG recipes for this great beer?

Cheers,
Dave

The part I particularly like about wits is the orange character. The last one I made I ended up adding the peels from 6 or 8 navel oranges. They weren't dried, either. I added them for the entire 90 minute boil, and I was finally happy with the orange character of that beer. It wasn't overpowering. This was for a 10 gallon batch. I also added 20g of finely ground coriander and 2g of paradise seeds. Next time I'll increase the coriander to 30g. I added the spices for the last 5 minutes of the boil.

Go with anywhere from 50 - 75% pale malt with the balance being wheat malt. Throw in a couple of cups of whole wheat flour if you want unmalted wheat. Bitter with a single addition of pretty much any hop, to about 12 IBU with an OG of ~1.050. The Wyeast 3944 Belgian Wit would be most authentic (not sure what the equivalent WhiteLabs strain would be).

Hope this helps.

So you're saying it's all pale and wheat malt with no other grains? 10 gallons approximately is 44L, right? (that's my batch size). 30g of coriander seems like a lot- how much did you use initially, and how prominent was the flavour?

I like my Wit

Good Indian corriander is a must, this has a loverly citrus aroma. Navel orange peel thinly peeled and dried in the sun.

I have used from 5g-30g corriander addition in a 23 lt batch, but I would start on the lower end of the scale and see how you like it. 30g in 44 lt seems reasonable to me.

Andrew

I like my Wit

Good Indian corriander is a must, this has a loverly citrus aroma. Navel orange peel thinly peeled and dried in the sun.

I have used from 5g-30g corriander addition in a 23 lt batch, but I would start on the lower end of the scale and see how you like it. 30g in 44 lt seems reasonable to me.

Andrew

What do you use to make up the Flaked Wheat component of that recipe?

Yes, 44l is approximately 10 gallons. Close enough, anyway, as I collect 42 or 43l and I call it 10 gallons. 30g of coriander for that much beer isn't too much. The first wits I brewed were 5 gallon batches and from memory I believe that I used 20-25g. That was definitely too much coriander, and from all the wits I've judged over the years, a common fault is going overboard on the coriander. I suppose that the 20g I used in that last batch didn't seem like enough because of all the orange peels I added. If I had cut back on those, then 20g of coriander would probably seem stronger. I'd recommend starting with 20g, but boil it for longer. Then when you have 5 minutes left in your boil, draw a small sample and taste it. You can always add a couple more grams if you want a stronger coriander character. Boiling it longer may help to reduce the aroma which will make it seem weaker.

I did forget a grain, though. Oats. Maybe about 500g of rolled oats should be sufficient, as oats are commonly included in most commercial wits.

What do you use to make up the Flaked Wheat component of that recipe?

Flaked wheat from the health food shop.

I've also made this recipe using organic raw wheat, but I found the raw wheat introduced a tartness not quite to style.

Andrew

here is mine, i really liked it but there was no where near enough orange.. i would prob double the orange and go to 30gms of corriander

Ho'Garden
Witbier

Type: All Grain
Date: 29/09/2007
Batch Size: 25.00 L
Brewer: Troy
Boil Size: 33.87 L Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 90 min Equipment: My Equipment
Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: 65.0
Taste Notes:

Ingredients
Amount Item Type % or IBU
2.50 kg Pale Malt, Galaxy (Barrett Burston) (1.5 SRM) Grain 42.0 %
2.00 kg Wheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM) Grain 33.6 %
1.00 kg Wheat Malt, Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 16.8 %
0.45 kg Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 7.6 %
21.00 gm Goldings, East Kent [4.20%] (60 min) Hops 9.3 IBU
21.00 gm Goldings, East Kent [4.20%] (15 min) Hops 4.6 IBU
20.00 gm Saaz [2.50%] (0 min) Hops -
20.00 gm Coriander Seed (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
1.5 navel orange peel (no pith)
1 Pkgs SafBrew Ale (DCL Yeast #S-33) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile
Est Original Gravity: 1.047 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.010 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.012 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.005 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.6 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 0.6 %
Bitterness: 13.9 IBU Calories: 90 cal/l
Est Color: 3.3 SRM Color: Color

Mash Profile
Mash Name: Single Infusion, Full Body, Batch Sparge Total Grain Weight: 5.95 kg
Sparge Water: 24.30 L Grain Temperature: 22.2 C
Sparge Temperature: 75.6 C TunTemperature: 22.2 C
Adjust Temp for Equipment: FALSE Mash PH: 5.4 PH

Name Description Step Temp Step Time
Mash In Add 15.53 L of water at 72.4 C 66.0 C 90 min

Flaked wheat from the health food shop.

I've also made this recipe using organic raw wheat, but I found the raw wheat introduced a tartness not quite to style.

Andrew

Is that the one just a few doors up from Nannas Pantry?

Well, pnc, there's always the many page Style of the Week thread on witbier. Look in the Flavour of the Week section. ;)

i've been getting pretty good results with the following:

2.3kg pils
1.5kg wheat
1kg torrified wheat
0.2kg rolled oats

24g NZ hallertau @ 60mins
20g orange zest (3 x oranges) @10 mins
20g crushed coriander seeds @10mins

mash @ 66c (70 mins)

wyeast 3944

gets to SG of 1053 after a 90 minute boil. 2 weeks in primary @18c and 3-4 days in secondary @16c gets it down to FG of 1012.

seems to work a treat!

Wits are covered at http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...showtopic=12821 . From my research, it seems that the use of a good percentage of raw wheat is the secret to a good hoegaarden copy, and don't overdo the coriander. 10-12g at the end of the boil should be heaps. 5-7g roasted cumin at 15mins is my "secret" ingredient B) .

Cheers - Snow

Well, pnc, there's always the many page Style of the Week thread on witbier. Look in the Flavour of the Week section. ;)

Wits are covered at http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...showtopic=12821 . From my research, it seems that the use of a good percentage of raw wheat is the secret to a good hoegaarden copy, and don't overdo the coriander. 10-12g at the end of the boil should be heaps. 5-7g roasted cumin at 15mins is my "secret" ingredient B) .

Cheers - Snow

Oops, silly me, forgot about that section! I'll go check that out.

Cheers for all the help everyone!

Has no one else tried Belgian Bitter Curacao or Belgian Sweet peel?

Sold here -

Bitter

Sweet

I've used it, works great and it's the real deal. Nice and cheap too!

Good Indian corriander is a must, this has a loverly citrus aroma.

Must agree here. It's incredible the difference between indian coriander and normal coriander seeds. The colour is drastically different. The aroma is quite citrusy and flowery, and the flavour difference is incredible.

Has no one else tried Belgian Bitter Curacao or Belgian Sweet peel?

Sold here -

Bitter

Sweet

I've used it, works great and it's the real deal. Nice and cheap too!

I've tried the bitter and found that it has stacks of pith on the zest. Was not real impressed with the flavour that it imparted on my last Wit. I think I will zest my own citrus next time. Looking at a few fruits like navel oranges, cumquats and mandarines.

Mick

Must agree here. It's incredible the difference between indian coriander and normal coriander seeds. The colour is drastically different. The aroma is quite citrusy and flowery, and the flavour difference is incredible.

Anyone know where you can get the Indian Coriander Seeds in Adelaide?

Mick

that's what I was thinking! I thought maybe gaganis brothers might stock it- if they don't have it, I don't know who will!

They only have the ordinary stuff. Thats what I have been using.

Back