Hoegaarden Grand Cru Yeast Propagation?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mje1980

Old Thunder brewery
Reaction score
I had a bottle of this last night........yumm!!. I was just wondering if anyone knows if the strain in the bottle is a bottling strain, or the actual yeast used for fermenting??. Any help would be appreciated, as i have the sediment in the bottle in the fridge still. If it is worthwhile, i will try ( note i said TRY!!! haha ) to culture it up. I have never made a wit, but hoegaarden is a top drop!. Also, if this yeast is just a bottling strain, what is a good yeast for a hoegaarden style wit??. Tah

mje1980 said:
I had a bottle of this last night........yumm!!. I was just wondering if anyone knows if the strain in the bottle is a bottling strain, or the actual yeast used for fermenting??. Any help would be appreciated, as i have the sediment in the bottle in the fridge still. If it is worthwhile, i will try ( note i said TRY!!! haha ) to culture it up. I have never made a wit, but hoegaarden is a top drop!. Also, if this yeast is just a bottling strain, what is a good yeast for a hoegaarden style wit??. Tah
[post="93749"][/post]​

Hi, I did a grand cru attempt earlier this year, and my searching left me with the view that hoegaarden white was the same yeast as grand cru, but different to forbidden fruit, so I brewed using a cultured H white. If you culture it, try doing it with some wheat wort thats reasonably strong, and I reckon your tastebuds can then act as a good guide as to whether its a bottling strain or not (i'd be surprised if it is given that hoe and FF both use primary strain)

hope this helps

Thanks linz, i might have to try that, as the propagation isnt going too well. Its just sitting there!!. I'll give it another day or two then see.

Hi there,
I brewed my Christmas Case beer with recultured Grand Cru yeast,

To be honest I doubt the yeast is the same as the wit yeast, as the alcohol sensitivity would have to be very different.

Anyhow, the yeast did really well, produccing a very heavy beer. mind you it took 2 months to ferment.

Cheers

Case

Latest posts

Back