Hoegaarden Ag Clone

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can always do a split boil, use a standard stock pot (10L) to boil this then combine together either in a nochill cube or in the fermentor once chilled. As long as the SG of the main boil isn't too high hop utilisation should be ok.

I was wondering if I could do that actually! I'll see how I go with efficiency and if I need to will put the excess wort in a pot on the stove.

Thanks guys for all your help. Once this heat dies down I'll get in the shed and tackle it!

Will let you know how I go.

I did a two step infusion of this style a while ago and used wy3944, I used 45degc for 20mins and 66degc and it turned out pretty good. The 3944 can be tricky to use as it can stop early and take forever to ferment out. If your including oats in the recipe use this to give a bit more body and mash a little cooler so the yeast can ferment it out. Also make a massive starter with this yeast. My two cents on it.

I took half a keg of this to my sisters 30th and it lasted 30mins.

I need to ask you guys for your opinion here.

I did the mash and boil yesterday. 60min boil started at about 21 litres and when finished I'd say it had about 19litres.

I sieved it through a strainer with funnel and hose into a 23litre no-chill cube and left over night.

Today I have 18 litres of wort at 1.048 S.G.

Problem is it has a very strong hop aroma and bitter taste... I cant taste anything but hops! Can't taste any of the orange or coriander. I put in 20grams of Perle pellets (8% AA) at the start of boil... do you think that was excessive or is the fresh wort normally very strong in its hop aroma?

Also, did I make a mistake putting sediment from the cube into the fermenter. I did this because the wort was reasonably clear and I am aiming for a cloudy beer.

I am really hoping I don't have to chuck this beer out because I stuffed up the boil... because the mash went like clockwork!

Wheat based brews need multiple steps.

Can someone explain why this is so, I've only done a couple of dark wheats with 60min infusion mash, batch sparge, and got a 1st a few years ago in ANAWBS.

Just wondering why people step mash wheats?

Thanks.

Edit: It was joe white wheat i used.

This was my first AG, so I am no expert by any means. I mashed in at 50c for 30mins, then brought the temp up to 67c for 60mins sac, before draining... then one batch sparge with 90c water. I have read quite a bit and I think you are right about being able to make a good wit with single infusion. A lot of people seem to do it. I just wanted to make it extra hard for myself :lol:

Maybe if I have to make another batch to blend with this one to bring the bitterness down, I will try the single infusion to see the difference in efficiency.

Can someone explain why this is so, I've only done a couple of dark wheats with 60min infusion mash, batch sparge, and got a 1st a few years ago in ANAWBS.

You likely used a malted wheat, which doesn't require the multi-step mashes that unmalted wheats (ie. flaked wheat) require in order to achieve satisfactory conversion.

Edit: yes, the Joe White wheat malt you used would have been malted wheat, which means most of the conversion work has been done by the maltster, hence the single temperature infusion mash is sufficient.

You likely used a malted wheat, which doesn't require the multi-step mashes that unmalted wheats (ie. flaked wheat) require in order to achieve satisfactory conversion.

I used torrefied wheat. Is that malted?

I used torrefied wheat. Is that malted?

No, not malted. According to BeerSmith torrified wheat is
"Unmodified wheat that has been "popped" to open the kernels
Used primarily in place of raw wheat when making Belgian White and Wit
Faster conversion and higher yield than raw wheat
Protein rest recommended when mashing"

IBU is what you use to measure bitterness. You were aiming for 20 IBU and you will end up with around 27 IBUs. Not the end of the world by any means.
Do you have any software for working out recipes?

IBU is what you use to measure bitterness. You were aiming for 20 IBU and you will end up with around 27 IBUs. Not the end of the world by any means.
Do you have any software for working out recipes?

Yeah I was aiming for 20... probably a little high for wit but i like it a little bitter. I have beer smith and entered 20litres for the boil size. Since the gravity was already 1.048 I put in 20lt for batch size also, as I assumed I would be adding water later on to replace any lost during boil. But then of course after straining out the crud at the bottom of the boiler and then some shrinkage during cooling... I only got 18litres of wort (after dilution to achieve 1.048).

I suppose I'll have to wait til ferment is done to make my decision... but I may end up blending it with another batch of wit with a very small hop addition. I'm gonna end up with a lot of wheat beer!

Just wondering why people step mash wheats?

Thanks.

Edit: It was joe white wheat i used.

I did a Wit a few weeks ago, 50/50 JWM Trad : Raw Wheat which was sourced straight from a farm and self-torrified in the microwave. Did a single infusion mash approx 65deg for 90 minutes, batch sparged and my efficiency was great. Step-mash definately NOT required to convert raw wheat in a 50:50 ratio with a good partially converted malt, from the perspective of efficiency. My Wit came up a treat.

27IBUS is a bit much, but not the end of the world. I would definately (as you have suggested you will) allow it to ferment, and check it afterward. It should be palatable based on your recipe despite the over-hopping.

EDIT: How much coriander and peel did you use?

How much coriander and peel did you use?

I used 15g crushed coriander seeds... because that is all I had (boiled for 10mins at end)
and 25g dried bitter orange peel (boiled for 5mins at end)

I opened the ferment fridge today and got a bit hit of hops. I am hoping that some of that will blow off with the CO2 during ferment.... but don't like my chances really.

As Oscar Wilde said Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes..... and I won't be making that mistake again!

I still cant believe hoegarden or wit is the only beer style your girlfriend likes. I reckon go for it Hoppin, I made a belgian dubbel as my second AG and it came out pretty good.

Cheers Brad

The strong hop smell sounds normal as alot of it is driven off in the ferment, relax and let it do it's thing. Your spice additiion should be fine also you only want a hint of coriander and orange, the tricky bit is with the yeast...

I still cant believe hoegarden or wit is the only beer style your girlfriend likes.

Cheers Brad

She prefers white wine to be honest but when she orders a beer at the pub it is always Hoegaarden (if they have it) or nothin. She can be a difficult little..... :angry:

I did go for it... but not looking great so far

The strong hop smell sounds normal as alot of it is driven off in the ferment, relax and let it do it's thing. Your spice additiion should be fine also you only want a hint of coriander and orange, the tricky bit is with the yeast...

I am glad you said that. It gives me a little hope. I will cross my fingers and just hope the yeast does its thing. Hasn't started fermenting yet... but I've heard that's normal with Wyeast

Hi HM,

Has the ferment kicked off yet? Dont mean to worry you, but if you brewed it on Sunday, it should be up and running by now. Is your WYeast pack an Activator, or Propagator pack (should say on it)? Does it have a use by date? I assume you didnt make a starter?

Hi HM,

Has the ferment kicked off yet? Dont mean to worry you, but if you brewed it on Sunday, it should be up and running by now. Is your WYeast pack an Activator, or Propagator pack (should say on it)? Does it have a use by date? I assume you didnt make a starter?

The yeast was a 3944 Activator. I popped it Sunday night and pitched Monday night. Been at 18 degrees since. No bubbles coming out of the tube yet... but I can see through the clear lid and it is very frothy. I am not stressing yet, but if it isn't bubbling this time tomorrow I'm sure I will.

I opened the door to my fermentation fridge when I got home this arvo and it smells quite good in there. Much better than it did at the start. Not going to taste it til the ferment is done though (assuming it starts).

Latest posts

Back