Hlt Sight Glass

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jeez, lets hope. If not let me know and I will pick up a length (metaphoracally speaking of course) and send it up. Gawd, more enuendo...

Wes.

wes any reason you shouldn't use the silicon hose for a HLT? i have been using one for over 50 brews with no props even right up to boiling for some time and the hose has not changed at all.
I wouldn't even try using it for the kettle but the HLT seems fine with this.

Cheers Jayse

Jayse, no problem with silicon hose but with a sight "glass" you would be looking for something with max tansparency + rigidity. Thats why the polycarbonate is good. There is nothing worse than trying to figure out the actual level in a slightly cloudy flex hose - as most micro-breweries have to do!

Wes..

cool i have no probs seeing though it as it is as clear as a bell.
So iam glad to know thats the only prob.
One day i'll go for something rigid but for anyone wanting a easy to make and get sight tube for HLT go for a silicon hose then.

Cheers Jayse

Wes

What tubing have you used for the rest of your home-brewery? Did you also get this from Cadilac Plastics.

Cheers
MAH

Or if you're in Sydney try B & M plastics in Yennora Phone: (02) 9632 5466

$18.50 a metre for - 25mm OD 1.3mm thickness

MAH, all the tubing (hoses) I have used is food grade reinforced PVC. Even on 95C wort transfer it works fine.

Wes

Does anyone know of a supplier in Adelaide?

just to re-open this thread again, does anyone know if anyone supplies the plastic tubing in SA

wedge, try City Plastics 8346 6500. If they don't have it they should know who does.

TDA

I just added a sight glass to kettle after adding one to HLT - sheesh now I actually have an idea of what I am boiling off!

The full details are at brewiki: brewpot. I went down a size in the poly carbonate tubing for the kettle.

SightGlassKettle.jpg

Heya Sos,
How you going to keep the "gunge" out of it?
cheers
Darren

Very simple solution I saw on another site for a HLT sight glass was a rubber O'ring slipped over the tube. Probably been seen a thousand times before but just in case......
  • 1. Do the maths once for how much you want to sparge
  • 2. Roll the O'ring down to that level
  • 3. Sparge away

site_guage.jpg

Latest posts

Back