Hlt Big Drama

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Archie

Reaction score
Gday everyone,
Well brew day was going a treat, I had just installed a nice new SS tap and brass fitings into my HLT and i started my brew day heated my mash water for a start and well
the seal melted damn it. I used the misuses tupperware lids for seals haha :beerbang: Dont tell her

I have kinda fixed the drama with a heat shield under the tap for now. Hopefully it will last the brew day

What do others use as heat resistant seals for all your taps etc.

Cheers

Archie

:party:

geez, I can think of better things to happen!

Is it possible to post some pics of the offending seals? It might help out a few people in the process of going all grain or looking to in the future.

Sloth.

Archie,

I use Willow Teflon cookware....just cut to size....rated to 120c (or more)....but very suitable for brewing about $8 from bigdubya

Cheers
JSB

Hi guys,
I dont use any washers, I just use two s/steel washers, one each side of the hlt.
I apply a food grade silicon sealant and tighten the crap out of the two nuts.
When I used to use seals I found the fitting always tended to turn even though I had the fitting tight.
Cheers

Hmm so many options I think i might run down to woolies and grab some of those high temp silicon baking dishes you speak of.
Well Dont worry everybody the temp seals seem to be holding at the moment no need to worry just yet haha

Cheers guys

Oh yeah my brew day is working a treat new hlt and burner it is sweet
haha

Archie

Hey sloth i will post some pics A.S.A.P as soon as i have finished brewing

Arch

G'day Archie. If you use standard size threads ie 1/2 inch fittings then get some silicon o rings. Before they were available I used windscreen sealeant, from memory it was good for approx 350 degrees. :D

Hey Razz,
Where do you get your silicon o-rings from.
Are they from bunnings

Archie

i use 1/2 inch BSP nice thick fibre washers on each side of the wall.

PM me if u want a couple to try...

I use fibre washers also. You can buy then from bunning for about $4 a pack of 5. Use one each side if you must with teflon tape as well for sealing the thread.

cheers

vl.

Hey there vlbaby,
mate the burner works a treat thanks again in the middle of a brew

Cheers

archie

thats good to hear archie. I was wondering if you'd put into action yet. :)

cheers

vl.

What about those things they use in dishwashers to make them smell nice..
The wife has been looking for the one she HAD ..went and bought another one...
Funny :) i seem to have found one in my rubber washer draw...(waiting for a tap to fit it). :D
Cheers
PJ

What about those things they use in dishwashers to make them smell nice..
The wife has been looking for the one she HAD ..went and bought another one...
Funny :) i seem to have found one in my rubber washer draw...(waiting for a tap to fit it). :D
Cheers
PJ

That could add some bizare taste to your beer I think poppa joe

Latest posts

Back