Hlt Advice

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PJ, a plastic one would definitely be the cheapest alternative. At this stage I am leaning towards a 30-40L urn. I should be able to get many years out of it and I won't have to worry about the electrical stuff (as simple as it is in theory). As I said before, whatever I do I want it to be something that I can happily use for years to come - that's sort of why I was even contemplating the two-tier option - seems like an appropriate time to upgrade my whole setup if its necessary so I am exploring all options. At the moment the standard 3 tier configuration plus a new urn is winning the race.

Pumpy said:
Interesting post this ,love the pics Warren nice set up , I too am considering having a electric heating element option are there any issues with cleaning the element itself? I remember G&G saying once that they get a build up of sugar on the element!!! how do you clean yours ?

Or is it not an issue

Pumpy
[post="127724"][/post]​

Gee Pumpy, you're blinding me with science? Is this an issue? How long does this take to happen? Can a HLT full of hot water not dissolve sugar???? :blink: Is it due to the PH of the water? Perhaps they are talking about scale? Chemistry dysfunctional here. Can someone enlighten me/us?
Not being rude here. My intake of my latest stout is starting to work. :party:

:beer:

Pumpy said:
Interesting post this ,love the pics Warren nice set up , I too am considering having a electric heating element option are there any issues with cleaning the element itself? I remember G&G saying once that they get a build up of sugar on the element!!! how do you clean yours ?

Or is it not an issue

Pumpy
[post="127724"][/post]​

TidalPete said:
Gee Pumpy, you're blinding me with science? Is this an issue? How long does this take to happen? Can a HLT full of hot water not dissolve sugar????
[post="127733"][/post]​

Okay. Having been like Supernaught and having done it both ways guys :p I'd say that yes Pumpy if you use them for an element for boiling wort you'll get the odd bit of caramelised sugar on the element, no big deal I used to just leave it there or wipe it with a cloth. Always seemed to work fine next brew. :)

Mind you if you plan to use it as a wort boiler it's a bit gutless in terms of a rolling boil unless you partially cover. You'd be best served with gas. ;)

Pete, yep they scale up with just plain water too (though not much). Particularly worse if you are foolish enough to Burtonise in your HLT (adding salts). The element gets a bit of a white deposit encrusted on it. Once again generally I don't bother or do anything more than wiping it with a cloth.

If you're so inclined you can fill the HLT or boiler with some warm water that just rises above the element and add about 50g of citric acid and let it soak for a few hours and then rinse thoroughly to avoid lemon water.

Hope this helps.

Warren -

Thanks Warren I understand now , I wil go ahead with an element for my HLT now :)

Pumpy

warrenlw63 said:
Okay. Having been like Supernaught and having done it both ways guys :p I'd say that yes Pumpy if you use them for an element for boiling wort you'll get the odd bit of caramelised sugar on the element, no big deal I used to just leave it there or wipe it with a cloth. Always seemed to work fine next brew. :)

Mind you if you plan to use it as a wort boiler it's a bit gutless in terms of a rolling boil unless you partially cover. You'd be best served with gas.

Pete, yep they scale up with just plain water too (though not much). Particularly worse if you are foolish enough to Burtonise in your HLT (adding salts). The element gets a bit of a white deposit encrusted on it. Once again generally I don't bother or do anything more than wiping it with a cloth.

If you're so inclined you can fill the HLT or boiler with some warm water that just rises above the element and add about 50g of citric acid and let it soak for a few hours and then rinse thoroughly to avoid lemon water.

Hope this helps.

Warren -
[post="127746"][/post]​

Thanks for the info Warren. I intend to muck around 'Burtonising' my water at a later date.

:beer:

Ok, a decision has (finally) been made!!!

I went to Bunnings this morning and picked up one of those shelving kits. Each shelf can hold 150kg which is more than enough. I also bought a hose thing that Doc recommended to me so you can use the standard tap on an urn. So what I will do is buy a new 30L or 40L Roband urn to replace my current urn, and all should be pretty sweet.

Thanks for all the advice guys, its always good to nut these things out with people who have "been there and done it" before. :beer:

Here is a pic of my new brewstand (with the old urn). I'll get the new urn in the next few weeks probably.

Cheers :)

New_Brewstand.JPG

Hi TD.

Following this thread with interest as I'm in the process of gathering AG equipment.

How much for the shelves?

Cheers
Brett

The shelves were $44. If you want a genuine "step-style" 3 tier setup you will need to buy two lots. Either that or cut the top shelf in half and run your hose from the HLT through the shelf section to the mash tun below. At this stage I am just going to run it around the front of the shelf and have each vessel sitting directly above each other.

I got my new 30L Roband urn today. Its an impressive piece of equipment - much more "substantial" than my old one. See pic:

New_Urn.jpg

Latest posts

Back